Europa League 2015/2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watching Dnipro vs. Sevilla, which was a very entertaining match by the way, did anyone else feel that having Champs league qualification actually slightly devalued winning the Europa cup? Instead of winning a prestigious trophy, it felt like a Champions League qualifier. "Well done Sevilla, now off you go and get smashed by Bayern".
Expect it would be different if it was us who won it.
spot on. I can't stand that the winners qualify for the CL now. Hate it.

You still get the Trophy and as a bonus to help make managers take the completion more seriously added a Champions league spot to the winners. Its like Saying We dont want to get into the Top 4 and want to stay at 5th every season so as otherwise all we will do is watch us getting smashed by Bayern and teams like that ? Or am i totally mis-reading the point of not liking the winner of EL gets CL?

I like the extra incentive given to the EL winners. It is an alternate route for teams(ahem...like Spurs) who can't really get into the top 4 to get CL football. Yes, it's good to get in by getting into the top 4 but we also need to be realistic about the chances we have. For me, EL is an easier route to the CL, at least in the next 3-4 years.

Cup competition always involves more luck, with an easy draw(like our league cup this season), our team will have a chance win it.

Last edited:
Yep, I went to Bern. Basel sounds like it was better.

I was at both. We lost both games but a lovely time was had by all. Basel was more relaxed though. Bus laid on from right outside the pub to the stadium. Then came Ade's penalty ............

"We want to stay here,
We want to stay here
Tottenham's a shithole,
We want to stay here"

If Falkirk win the Scottish Cup today they'll be in the Europa League next year, if not Dundee United will be..

Would love to draw another Scottish team.

devalues the comp even more for me. If we go for it next season I won't help but feel we're only going for it to get in the CL not cos it's a massive European trophy. Does't sit right with me at all

True mate. Tbh nothing will ever beat a euro cup for domestic league champs and a euro cup for domestic cup champs

devalues the comp even more for me. If we go for it next season I won't help but feel we're only going for it to get in the CL not cos it's a massive European trophy. Does't sit right with me at all
Yeah I do understand that but feel they needed to do something to give it credibility. Damned if you do & damned if you don't....

St Johnstone in the Europa then... not that they, Aberdeen or Inverness Caley Thistle are likely to get into the group stages. There are some good draws amongst the teams already definitely there though - I'd like any of Augsburg, Groningen, Villarreal or Anderlecht. Schalke would be great but they'd be seeded so we wouldn't be able to draw them.

Yeah I do understand that but feel they needed to do something to give it credibility. Damned if you do & damned if you don't....
On a related point I've thought for a while that the winner of the FA cup should get the 4th CL spot which I think would ensure the big teams take it more seriously.

I do realise the timing of this point is not great!!

St Johnstone in the Europa then... not that they, Aberdeen or Inverness Caley Thistle are likely to get into the group stages. There are some good draws amongst the teams already definitely there though - I'd like any of Augsburg, Groningen, Villarreal or Anderlecht. Schalke would be great but they'd be seeded so we wouldn't be able to draw them.
Groningen could be a tad :nawty:.

Back
Top Bottom