Europa League 2015/2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Either embrace the competition or don't. It really is as simple as that. No coincidence that the clubs that embrace it do well in it and enjoy it.

Its not as simple as that?
What is your definition of doing well because only one team can win it.

My definition of embracing EL is.....Seeing us get embarrassed by some two bob team in sub zero temperatures in November. Put up with it until the knock out stages. Get frustrated that it interferes with our league form and get Pi55ed with Chump teams parachuting in at the knock out stages because they failed in their own 'bigger established ' tournament.

I want to win every game and win the tournament, as most do. The format creates this feeling of meaningless in the early stages?

Its not as simple as that?
What is your definition of doing well because only one team can win it.

My definition of embracing EL is.....Seeing us get embarrassed by some two bob team in sub zero temperatures in November. Put up with it until the knock out stages. Get frustrated that it interferes with our league form and get Pi55ed with Chump teams parachuting in at the knock out stages because they failed in their own 'bigger established ' tournament.

I want to win every game and win the tournament, as most do. The format creates this feeling of meaningless in the early stages?
Mate we are not going to be close in agreeing on this one, so I will not respond with a tedious answer that just provokes a back and forth argument. All I can do is tell you why I embrace this competition. For me I love watching Spurs and this competition gives me more opportunities watching them and allows me to indulge further in my passion. There is also nothing better than sharing this passion with like minded Spurs fans in far flung countries throughout Europe. By attending these games I get points that allows me to stick two fingers up at those who moan that they didn't have enough points to qualify them in applying for League Cup Final tickets because they didn't attend Europa League matches because they thought it a meaningless comp. I love our European history, a history that has us joint top in English football history with most trophies won in Europe. I love midweek games under floodlights at white hart Lane. We can win this Cup again it is not a fanciful dream, we genuinely have a chance at winning it.
I can't change what is shit about the completion, so I can't see what the point of moaning about it does.

could be worse Napoli just missed a penalty that would have gave them champions league football now they are loosing at home to Lazio. So Napoli and Florence in the Group stages automatic

Mate we are not going to be close in agreeing on this one, so I will not respond with a tedious answer that just provokes a back and forth argument. All I can do is tell you why I embrace this competition. For me I love watching Spurs and this competition gives me more opportunities watching them and allows me to indulge further in my passion. There is also nothing better than sharing this passion with like minded Spurs fans in far flung countries throughout Europe. By attending these games I get points that allows me to stick two fingers up at those who moan that they didn't have enough points to qualify them in applying for League Cup Final tickets because they didn't attend Europa League matches because they thought it a meaningless comp. I love our European history, a history that has us joint top in English football history with most trophies won in Europe. I love midweek games under floodlights at white hart Lane. We can win this Cup again it is not a fanciful dream, we genuinely have a chance at winning it.
I can't change what is shit about the completion, so I can't see what the point of moaning about it does.

I understand and appricate the passion you and othesr have for this club in Europe. Traverling supporters (As I once was) is what its all about. Who is moaning? Not sure if we are joint top, from memory I feel you are wrong? Yes we could win although it will need alot more than nostalgia to get us there.

Not sure if we are joint top, from memory I feel you are wrong?
I thought that, but I think he means we've won 2 out the 3 that used to be available. No one has won all 3. Liverpool have won 8 to our 3 - so I'm sure that's not what he meant.

They can never win all 3, they never won the CWC, we, of course still can.

I didn't know that. Mind it won't bother me for the home games as I'll be going anyway. I don't have BT Sport and I can hardly hear the commentary in the pub, but I can imagine what he'll be saying, and that's irritating enough. :walker-scream:

I thought that, but I think he means we've won 2 out the 3 that used to be available. No one has won all 3. Liverpool have won 8 to our 3 - so I'm sure that's not what he meant.

They can never win all 3, they never won the CWC, we, of course still can.
Thanks Joe I'll go with what you have written, seems plausible. Though I have to confess after an entire days drinking I have absolutely no idea what I was on about, but let's keep that between us and hope no one else notices.

I didn't know that. Mind it won't bother me for the home games as I'll be going anyway. I don't have BT Sport and I can hardly hear the commentary in the pub, but I can imagine what he'll be saying, and that's irritating enough. :walker-scream:

I'm in the same boat, I'll probably do all the home games and hopefully 1 or a couple of aways. Any highlights will have his droning voice on though so might have to stick to Russian youtube uploads to avoid.

If we do manage to hold on to Lloris for one more season we need to go all out in Europa and try to snag our spot in the CL that way. Breaking top 4 next season is going to be much harder than it would've been this year. If we can get CL football we would have a legitimate case for playing at Wembley in the 16/17 season. Which I think we can all agree should be our short sighted goal.

Winning Europa means not playing in MK.

If we do manage to hold on to Lloris for one more season we need to go all out in Europa and try to snag our spot in the CL that way. Breaking top 4 next season is going to be much harder than it would've been this year. If we can get CL football we would have a legitimate case for playing at Wembley in the 16/17 season. Which I think we can all agree should be our short sighted goal.

Winning Europa means not playing in MK.
I think that whatever happens in terms of CL we will end up playing Woolwich, Chelsea, United, Man City and Liverpool at Wembley and the rest of the league games (and domestic cup games) at MK, unless something can be sorted out with West Ham. If we got in the CL the home games in that would be at Wembley, but I don't think it would change the location of the lesser league and domestic cup games.

All Europa games on BT, that is utter pony. Do like the fact that some football was still on terrestrial TV. Shame, that.

Just so happens I don't have BT Sport either.

I think that whatever happens in terms of CL we will end up playing Woolwich, Chelsea, United, Man City and Liverpool at Wembley and the rest of the league games (and domestic cup games) at MK, unless something can be sorted out with West Ham. If we got in the CL the home games in that would be at Wembley, but I don't think it would change the location of the lesser league and domestic cup games.

Don't think you're allowed to have two different stadia within one season mate, so we'd have to declare MK or Wembley for all games. CL we could use Wembley as its not Premier Legue ruled of course.

Don't think you're allowed to have two different stadia within one season mate, so we'd have to declare MK or Wembley for all games. CL we could use Wembley as its not Premier Legue ruled of course.
I wasn't aware of that. Either option is pretty bad in that case. If we get Wembley we'd be in a half empty stadium most weeks, if we get MK it would cost me a fortune in train fares...and generally be plastic and shit. Obviously Wembley would be the better of the two, though.

Back
Top Bottom