Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After Tuesday results, we have these 4 teams dropping down:

Man U (ENG)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Krasnodar (RUS)
Club Brugge (BEL)

Let's wait and see how thing play out Wednesday, but so far finishing second wouldn't be too bad if it means avoiding these trip to Russia and Ukraine.

We play United at home in the middle of the Quarter final round so it's probably better if they keep in till then. I'd imagine they'll be at the point of thinking about giving up on the top 4 at that point in April.

Kiev isn't far at all. Just one of those myths that anywhere east of Germany is a far trip.
It's in context of competitive sport, where managers complain about many little things.

The less travel the better. More time for proper rest. You want to get back home ASAP after home after game. Ukraine, Turkey, Russia... are definitely far in that context.

It's not like traveling on vacation, where you don't think too much for tomorrow. Traveling for game, you have to think not only about this game, but after game, and the game in few days.

Similarly thing about driving hundred miles to the beach is no big deal, but picking up kids and doing groceries can be a hassle despite less travel.

After Tuesday results, we have these 4 teams dropping down:

Man U (ENG)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Krasnodar (RUS)
Club Brugge (BEL)

Let's wait and see how thing play out Wednesday, but so far finishing second wouldn't be too bad if it means avoiding these trip to Russia and Ukraine.

I could be off but the flight from London to Kiev is like 3 hours versus 2 hours to Zagreb which we could get if we finish 2nd. Do you really think that extra hour on a chartered plane makes that much of a difference?

Plus I would rather they have a slightly longer flight than have to play Inter, Real, Napoli etc. Playing top levels team likely has a worse impact on us than a slightly longer travel day on charted planes and buses.

It isn't vital we win the group but there is no denying that it would be a major advantage to doing so.

I could be off but the flight from London to Kiev is like 3 hours versus 2 hours to Zagreb which we could get if we finish 2nd. Do you really think that extra hour on a chartered plane makes that much of a difference?

Plus I would rather they have a slightly longer flight than have to play Inter, Real, Napoli etc. Playing top levels team likely has a worse impact on us than a slightly longer travel day on charted planes and buses.

It isn't vital we win the group but there is no denying that it would be a major advantage to doing so.
It's the weather/pitch condition when we're talking about traveling to these farther countries.

In quite some of them, the playing ground condition is horrible during winter. It would prevent team to play certain style to converse energy.

Playing a semi tough opposition is not all that bad since they have to face same issue. This is EL, quite some of them don't have the depth to manage more than one competition. And we can only account for R32 draw, so in the end we can always evade these tough oppositions forever.

It's the weather/pitch condition when we're talking about traveling to these farther countries.

In quite some of them, the playing ground condition is horrible during winter. It would prevent team to play certain style to converse energy.

Playing a semi tough opposition is not all that bad since they have to face same issue. This is EL, quite some of them don't have the depth to manage more than one competition. And we can only account for R32 draw, so in the end we can always evade these tough oppositions forever.

In the round of 32 how many teams have terrible field conditions? Maybe Krasnodar?

I would rather play on a supposedly terrible field in cold weather than lose to a similar level team to us like Real, Inter, Napoli, Atalanta, Ajax with them having the home tie in the 2nd leg.

In the round of 32 how many teams have terrible field conditions? Maybe Krasnodar?

I would rather play on a supposedly terrible field in cold weather than lose to a similar level team to us like Real, Inter, Napoli, Atalanta, Ajax with them having the home tie in the 2nd leg.
Terrible condition can lead to injuries. Games to those farther countries ain't not always straight forward. Over the years, it's not rare for big teams in CL & EL to have some struggling when traveling to these countries during this time of the year.

It's not one of game in tournament format. You have league games around, so the bad impact can be lasting if you're not being careful. In a dogfight, Atlanta, Napoli, Ajax, Real Madrid... ain't the best equipped like in CL. There is a reason Sevilla have been making a reputation for themselves in EL with the know how to navigating this competition, even playing against tough opposition on the way. Sometimes, the safer route is the tougher looking one.

Terrible condition can lead to injuries. Games to those farther countries ain't not always straight forward. Over the years, it's not rare for big teams in CL & EL to have some struggling when traveling to these countries during this time of the year.

It's not one of game in tournament format. You have league games around, so the bad impact can be lasting if you're not being careful. In a dogfight, Atlanta, Napoli, Ajax, Real Madrid... ain't the best equipped like in CL. There is a reason Sevilla have been making a reputation for themselves in EL with the know how to navigating this competition, even playing against tough opposition on the way. Sometimes, the safer route is the tougher looking one.

More teams struggle and get tripped up playing good teams than playing weak teams in Eastern Europe.

Tgere is a reason why a quality team from a quality league like Sevilla is successful in this competition and teams from Easyern Europe go out early.

The Eastern Europe bogeyman gets trotted out all the time and is repeatedly shown to be nonsense time and time again. Even this year we destroyed Ludogorets and their terrible field and long travel while struggling with a short trip and quality field against a much stronger Antwerp team.

Feel free to have all the concerns you want but I can’t see how anyone can think that a match up with Krasnodar is more difficult or less desirable than facing Real or Inter with them having the second leg at home.

More teams struggle and get tripped up playing good teams than playing weak teams in Eastern Europe.

Tgere is a reason why a quality team from a quality league like Sevilla is successful in this competition and teams from Easyern Europe go out early.

The Eastern Europe bogeyman gets trotted out all the time and is repeatedly shown to be nonsense time and time again. Even this year we destroyed Ludogorets and their terrible field and long travel while struggling with a short trip and quality field against a much stronger Antwerp team.

Feel free to have all the concerns you want but I can’t see how anyone can think that a match up with Krasnodar is more difficult or less desirable than facing Real or Inter with them having the second leg at home.
In this past decade, Eastern teams made it far (Quarter final round) in EL quite often. In some season, them even made up the abundance in round 16. Much more often than in CL if you're not aware.

If you are a pensioner you are fucked, but there is plenty of oligarch money in Russia. Krasnodar have a very modern stadium.

In this past decade, Eastern teams made it far (Quarter final round) in EL quite often. In some season, them even made up the abundance in round 16. Much more often than in CL if you're not aware.

Quarter final is not that far and good teams have made it to the final and won every year so I would say that good teams are much more of a threat than Eastern teams still.

Quarter final is not that far and good teams have made it to the final and won every year so I would say that good teams are much more of a threat than Eastern teams still.
EL has an extra KO round. Many teams from big leagues had shown to down tool and drop out early. Many good teams in CL are not as good when they dropped to EL. Team with EL pedigree not always that good in CL nor in their own big league. It's a different know how game.

Football needs context.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom