Europa League - Tottenham Vs LASK, Thursday 22nd Oct, 8pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would rather give Lo Celso couple more days to recover and play Ndombele today and rest him on Monday. We should win this game comfortably but I don't think this is a must win game. If we draw it will be disappointing but as there are six games I'm positive we'll win the group even if we have one slip up.

Pretty excited to see different players in these kinds of games. Hopefully we'll see the debut from Vinicius.

I don't live in some fantasy world where you can make 11 changes and play 3 academy products and win a European match.

Our squad is strong enough to support decent rotation - 6/7 at a time but not complete change of XI.

Especially when you factor in new players still to settle.

Is Bale ready to start considering how off the pace he looked?

You could start Vinicius but he's an unknown quantity and if he's having a poor game we will have to turn to Kane anyway.

The way I see it there's a certain level of quality that has to be on the pitch at all times if we want to avoid the turgid displays we've seen with the likes of Winks/Sissoko/Dele/Lucas as our options.

Having one of Lo Celso/Ndombele on the pitch at all times is imperative.

Having a proper striker is equally so. Vinicius will hopefully take this burden off Kane but I think Mourinho will be looking for a strong start and that's why I can see Kane in the XI.

Lay down a marker, bring Vinicius on for his first minutes when the game is won without the pressure to really deliver and build him up to a start from there.

For contrast I would start like this against Burnley:

Lloris
Doherty Toby Rodon Reguilon
Hojberg Sissoko
Ndombele
Bergjwin Kane Son
Of that XI only Doherty and Toby would be playing the full 90 against LASK. (Aurier could actually come on for Doherty given the 5 subs rule if we wanted to preserve him).

Ndombele would have played 45 mins and Kane 60 or so (maybe less if we have a great 1st half.

That is plenty of rotation.
OK we will have to disagree.
Toby will not start tonight and play well on Monday. Sanchez is low on confidence so Rodon will play against Burnley. He will have Toby to help him settle in.
Kane should not have to start but could come on if necessary.
Davies has played CH for Wales so should be good enough for this.

I didn't know we were allowed 12 substitutes and 5 substitutions in UEFA competitions this season. That's great.

I still think it's incredibly stupid how you can only select 18 players for your matchday squad in the PL, Italy are the only country that do it properly, they've had 12 subs for years. Why insist on a set squad list then force us to leave 7 players out on the day of a match?
I think having more subs benefits the better clubs more than it does those towards the bottom of the table

I didn't know we were allowed 12 substitutes and 5 substitutions in UEFA competitions this season. That's great.

I still think it's incredibly stupid how you can only select 18 players for your matchday squad in the PL, Italy are the only country that do it properly, they've had 12 subs for years. Why insist on a set squad list then force us to leave 7 players out on the day of a match?
Because it gives the smaller clubs a chance to compete - if City had a fourteen man bench the rest of us might as well go home - obviously the big clubs all want this, the EPL need to resist.

I'd line up like this tonight;
Lloris
Doherty Toby Davies Reguilon
Sissoko Hojberg
Bale Dele Lamela
Vinicius

Kane and Son on the bench to be busted out in case of emergencies.
Give Bale and hour and can be replaced with Moura or Bergwjin.
I think we can use 5 subs tonight, so if we are winning would also like to see Hojberg get replaced for a rest by Winks or Lo Celso.

Without being arrogant at all that should be more than enough to be beating LASK comfortably.

It has to be the new lad up front tonight. Fine, have Kane on the bench just in case but try not to use him.

100% agree.

On paper this is one of our 3 easiest fixtures this season. If not now then when....?

Otherwise it'll just be Jansen & Llorente all over again.... Rusty as fuck and of little use if/when injuries dictate that we must play them.

If Vin has to be supplemented by Son, Bale or whatever stronger players around him then (reluctantly) so be it, but for the love of Buddha lets not repeat the same mistakes all over again.

(I don't buy the 'start strong, get the game in the bag and then rotate' philosophy either as it just spares Vin or whoever the hard yards of making the breakthrough themselves.... Fully rotate and look to bring on the cavalry around 60min if they're struggling.)

The Europa League is a blessing in terms of blooding players, we shouldn't squander it.

Because it gives the smaller clubs a chance to compete - if City had a fourteen man bench the rest of us might as well go home - obviously the big clubs all want this, the EPL need to resist.
Can still only make three subs.

So whether you have a 14 or 6 man bench, a club like City will have their best players available to impact games.

Of course, it gives you a bigger pool to choose from but likely the 3 players that would get selected from a 14 man bench would be the same as the 3 selected from a 6 man bench.

Rodon is not eligible!!!!!!!!

I said it 323rd.
I´ve been really hurt since the game on Sunday - I think this was my first post since. Even though I saw Jose and Sanchez press conferences yesterday, I wasn´t aware of Rondon´s situation - normally I would be, sorry about that. (Before I wrote it, I searched in the last 4 pages of this threat and there was no mention about him being eligible or not).

I guess my point is Dier-Toby on Monday. If that means Toby playing again today - or another solution -, we´ll see.

Thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom