European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was bricking it re our defence, thought they were fantastic, we’ll done lads

Concerns on this front look well overplayed. Stones is a rolls royce, Walker is the best RB in PL history and can pocket any left-sided player, Guehi is hugely talented and I feel like people forget this because he had an injury. Was linked to every top side last summer. If Shaw gets fit we have a very good back 4 and an incredible shield in Rice right in front of them.

Then its about keeping it tight and looking to Bellingham, Kane, Saka to have moments. Get Gordon in instead of Foden to stretch sides and then have the likes of Foden as subs if needed. We know under Southgate we won't dominate or play champagne football but we can still be a very effective tournament team.

The way he watched Serbia boss that game was BRILLIANT.

We had more shots, more possession, more shots on target and about three times their expected goals but yeah mate, they BOSSED it because you don’t like England.

And he constantly won possession back and read play .. like you know, you want your most defensive mid to do.

Shaw for Trippier, Wharton for Alexander-Arnold and Gordon for Foden need to be the changes made for the Denmark game.

So you can basically see the same problems that others can see Gary repeatedly ignoring; yet you get antsy whenevrer anyone speaks of said problems after a game?

Last edited:
Some people are clearly here to either just troll or only haver the ability to see the negatives in absolutely everything. Thank God there's a block button, it will make this site much more of a pleasant experience during this Euros.

Which I think is somewhat to be expected. Ultimately opening games are nervy, everyone wants points on the board. Serbia likely had a kick up the arse and they're big, which we aren't. You will have games/periods like this in tournaments.

Agree. Was shocked Gordon didn't get on at all. Don't really get it.

Yeah, defence in general wasn't an issue other than Trippier struggling and Stones maybe looking a bit half baked playing out. Guehi and Walker gives us lots of recovery pace back there. Bellingham is perfect for this England side and perfect for international football. Gerrard was always the best out of the 'golden trio' for the NT because international football is about grabbing games by the horns and forcing the issue.

I don't think being shunted to the left helps. All of Fodens good work came from operating in that half space on the right and coming inside. Ultimately he never does well for England in any role but I struggle to hammer on him too much when used this way. But his use of the ball was terrible.

TAA is REALLY good at certain things and an incredible weapon to have but probably not a CM at international level. Think it'll be Gallagher from here on out and as underwhelming as he can be on the ball, him and Rice off the ball are brilliant. Teams will struggle to find any space to play in whatsoever.

I want us (with 3 points secured) to look much less nervous vs Denmark, to see a few different players come in etc. I have a feeling what we'll do is be very happy with a draw because 4 points = qualification, the same way we were dull against Scotland in the last Euros. And people will obviously not be happy with this.
I actually think we'll see the same team starting on Thursday. We did start very well, so I have a feeling he'll stick with it.

I agree though, I'd like to see other players coming in, but I think that'll depend on the circumstances and where the changes are needed. I think Southgate's subs today were spot on, we got more energy and battle, in midfield in particular, but leaving Foden on was a head scratcher. If I did have a criticism of his subs, it would be that they were a little late. If you can see the momentum shift developing, you do something to nip it in the bud, not let it gain greater momentum.

So you can basically see the same problems that others can see Gary repeatedly ignoring; yet you get antsy whenevrer anyone speaks of said problems after game?

Because some people are just seeing the negatives. There were positives tonight. Constructive criticism is absolutely fine. There's a lot to question and ponder on the back of that performance. But the way a few are going on, anyone would think we just lost the game 0-2.

Because some people are just seeing the negatives. There were positives tonight. Constructive criticism is absolutely fine. There's a lot to question and ponder on the back of that performance. But the way a few are going on, anyone would think we just lost the game 0-2.

When really if Kane scores a relatively easy header we win 2-0.

Whereas Serbia erm … they had a shot on target from about 34 yards.

Have to say I did not really enjoy that. Mainly out of boredom. But England have started plenty of decent tournaments poorly. 1966. 1990. 1996. Serbia is a horrible opening game. We scraped an unglamorous 1-0 win. The result is what matters. We can and will play better. But there’s still a lot of naivety in this side. Possibly in the coaching staff too. H worked his socks off btw. Might not get the headlines but he’s a wise workhorse. God he’d be amazing in and amongst Ange ball.

Kane only touched the ball twice in the first half. On Talksport one of the pundits actually suggested dropping him and playing Foden as a false nine instead. Honestly these cunts are getting paid to make those sort of comments!

Back
Top Bottom