European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm asking you (not for the first time) what evidence there is that this team (manager) CAN play better or that this manager is likely to succeed where he's previously tactically failed.........?

Of course your not obliged to answer but where's that same energy that led to you calling a doubter "wanker' earlier gone?

I don't really care if you think we can't play better though, that's the thing. I know we can and will. If you think that's the very best we can do, well that's your choice.

Doesn't it seem that the hardest goal to get in football is the one that comes after taking a 1-0 lead?
Usually sides open up a bit going 1 down looking to reply, so I would say the first goal is the hardest to get especially against low block sides.

Problem is Southgate thinks this moment in a game is when you hold on to that 1 goal lead for dear life. Horrible philosophy of football we have seen at Spurs too often in recent years.

Germany and Spain probably meet in the quarter final, winner of that probably gets Portugal in the semi.

If England get to the semi-final it is probably against France.

Gary verdict tonight: We needed to conserve our energy better......

Against Iceland it was "We didn't press properly"........

Gary the problem solver.

Gary verdict tonight: We needed to conserve our energy better......

Against Iceland it was "We didn't press properly"........

He's bang on really. We gave the ball away far too much in the second half which meant we then had to chase it against a side that keeps the ball moving pretty well, as do all the sides from that part of Europe. Keep the ball like we did in the first 30 minutes or so when we had about 70% possession and you half your workload.

Good result but pretty shit performance

Trent is not a midfielder, he’s not even a right back, so easy to go past him

Trippier kills attacks down the left by dawdling onto his right foot

Foden and Kane didn’t get any ball but they looked like they didn’t want it

Lots to work on

I'm surprised at how many people are saying Kane had a poor game. He wasn't in the game first half through no real fault of his own, and then battled alone exceptionally well against some big Serbian blokes in the second while almost scoring. Obviously we've seen him play better but once he got in the game he did the ugly side of the game pretty damn well.

I'm surprised at how many people are saying Kane had a poor game. He wasn't in the game first half through no real fault of his own, and then battled alone exceptionally well against some big Serbian blokes in the second while almost scoring. Obviously we've seen him play better but once he got in the game he did the ugly side of the game pretty damn well.
Thick wankers like Rice have too many touches and don’t pass him the ball quickly - so it’s to be expected Kane isn’t at his best.

In the first half he was non existent but that’s because he stayed high and never roamed. He wasn’t poor as he wasn’t in it but stayed disciplined to his position. In the second half he was more involved and much better with getting clever fouls.
Unlucky with his header which was a brilliant save.

Unfortunately we need Bellingham in several positions ,thought he was head and shoulders above anyone else.
Trippier... oh dear,is that the best we can do at left back?
But a win is a win, I'm more interested in keeping an eye on possible Spurs signings.

Roughed up but we got over the line and showed character. A sign of a good team has always been winning when you're nowhere near your best. That shouldn't not apply just because it's England.

As a neutral I struggle to agree with the "character" comment. Playing "anywhere will do" scrambling defence with 15 minutes to go indicates lack of confidence to me. That's not the way winning sides close out games. Well except maybe Man U in the FA cup, but I wouldn't hold them up as a role model.

I hope England does well but can't see it on last night's performance.

Good result but pretty shit performance

Trent is not a midfielder, he’s not even a right back, so easy to go past him

Trippier kills attacks down the left by dawdling onto his right foot

Foden and Kane didn’t get any ball but they looked like they didn’t want it

Lots to work on

And all of us on here knew all that before kick off. That’s the problem with Southgate.

I did think we played differently than in the recent friendlies and were a bit more joined up than in those games. I’m not going overboard in either direction but we can all see where this is heading.

As a neutral I struggle to agree with the "character" comment. Playing "anywhere will do" scrambling defence with 15 minutes to go indicates lack of confidence to me. That's not the way winning sides close out games. Well except maybe Man U in the FA cup, but I wouldn't hold them up as a role model.

I hope England does well but can't see it on last night's performance.

Well you shouldn't be judging anybody based on one game to start with. England struggling at times last night doesn't mean they won't have a good tournament, just the same as Germany beating a woeful Scotland team 5-1 doesn't suddenly make them Champions in waiting.

Also, England still came closer to scoring a second than Serbia did equalising. Any decent team at the Euros will give you a nervous ending if there's only a goal in it.

Really don't think Foden should be playing out on the left. It's like trying to fit Scholes / Lampard / Gerrard all into the same team again. It didn't work then, and this isn't working now.

Bellingham obviously has to start, and if that means Foden comes off the bench for him, then so be it.

Would have Eze or Gordon out on the left to give England more avenues of attack.

Back
Top Bottom