European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really don't think Foden should be playing out on the left. It's like trying to fit Scholes / Lampard / Gerrard all into the same team again. It didn't work then, and this isn't working now.

Bellingham obviously has to start, and if that means Foden comes off the bench for him, then so be it.

Would have Eze or Gordon out on the left to give England more avenues of attack.

Exactly this. You shouldn't just be playing him because of who he is or what he does for City. They have a different team. Different manager. Different style of playing... Nobody can question his talent. But Southgate is not only wasting him by continuing to play him where he's not having a big impact on games, he's also wasting players like Gordon and Eze who will offer so much more from the left by not playing them. Serbia knew by the the second half that shutting down a tiring Saka would severely limit our threat because we were offering so little on the other side with Foden and Trippier.

Sometimes you just have to make a big decision for the good of the team and benching Foden, at least for a game or two, seems a perfectly viable option.

"We hear a lot about the trouble football fans cause, the potential for violence and mayhem that in reality is only ever embodied by a tiny minority. But when you consider how they are regarded and problematised by the authorities, perhaps the only surprise is that it doesn’t kick off more often.

Because pretty much without exception, the fans I have encountered at this tournament have not been thugs or criminals, or freeloaders or troublemakers."

I’ve no dog in the fight but why didn’t Mrs Doubtfire not bring that doughty lad from Luton as left back. He had a decent season from what I seen and read. Would have been better then an unfit shaw and a half fit trippier filling in.

I’ve no dog in the fight but why didn’t Mrs Doubtfire not bring that doughty lad from Luton as left back. He had a decent season from what I seen and read. Would have been better then an unfit shaw and a half fit trippier filling in.

Doughty. Mitchell. Colwill. Even an out of form Chilwell would be a better option than playing Trippier. It's not just that Trippier makes us unbalanced. He's also coming off the back of a dodgy season for Newcastle where he cost them a number of goals.

You need a left footed left back. I know Trippier and Gomez can cover defensively the left back role but if you have Foden that side also trying to come in you have no width, it shuts off an entire flank.

Southgate was poor with his tactics and not inspirational at all. Simply doesn't get anything like the best out of the players.

Last edited:
Southgate was poor with his tactics and not inpirational at all. Simply doesn't get anything like the best out of the players.
Yes. Less than the sum of the parts again. Seems odd not to have a decent LB option. But more fundamentally, England don't really have a style of play. And then they come up against an opponent that changes tactics, they seem unable to adapt. Very poor for last 60 odd minutes last night.

"We hear a lot about the trouble football fans cause, the potential for violence and mayhem that in reality is only ever embodied by a tiny minority. But when you consider how they are regarded and problematised by the authorities, perhaps the only surprise is that it doesn’t kick off more often.

Because pretty much without exception, the fans I have encountered at this tournament have not been thugs or criminals, or freeloaders or troublemakers."

I'm not normally a fan of Jonathan Liew but that's a fine piece.

Very poor for last 60 odd minutes last night.
Even Scotland would have given England a good match during that period, and they're possibly the worst team on paper in the tournament. Not that I know how shit some other teams may be.

Southgate needs to let Kane have a free role and come deep when he wants, his passing is sensational when he does.

I don't think Bellingham, Saka and Foden should all play at the same time, Foden needs to be central or on the right. Southgate is trying to force Foden onto the pitch by playing him out of his best positions so he can play Saka and Bellingham as well. Surely Gorden should play on the left.

Even Scotland would have given England a good match during that period, and they're possibly the worst team on paper in the tournament. Not that I know how shit some other teams may be.

Southgate needs to let Kane have a free role and come deep when he wants, his passing is sensational when he does.

I don't think Bellingham, Saka and Foden should all play at the same time, Foden needs to be central or on the right. Southgate is trying to force Foden onto the pitch by playing him out of his best positions so he can play Saka and Bellingham as well. Surely Gorden should play on the left.
Agree with all that. They need Eze on the left. They need Kane deep at times. Two more lethal options in constructing attacks.

Agree with all that. They need Eze on the left. They need Kane deep at times. Two more lethal options in constructing attacks.

Not sure how you can allow Kane to drop deep without him and Bellingham getting in the way of each other. If Kane drops deep then someone needs to be up front to give us an outlet.

I genuinely think it's about time we gave Kane a partner to play with at times. He's constantly up against two centre-backs alone game after game and rarely gets any space. Him and Watkins have completely different strengths and could be a great combination.

Not sure how you can allow Kane to drop deep without him and Bellingham getting in the way of each other. If Kane drops deep then someone needs to be up front to give us an outlet.

I genuinely think it's about time we gave Kane a partner to play with at times. He's constantly up against two centre-backs alone game after game and rarely gets any space. Him and Watkins have completely different strengths and could be a great combination.
Kane is so good at finding runners, and Bellingham so technically good and strong (if not super quick), that Kane dropping deep and finding Bellingham - as a tactic to deploy for brief periods in a game - is well worth considering IMO

Bellingham is the only 10 in the squad that could work with Kane because he can alter his game to run in behind where the likes of Foden and Palmer won't.

Bellingham is the only 10 in the squad that could work with Kane because he can alter his game to run in behind where the likes of Foden and Palmer won't.

I get that, but wouldn't want Bellingham spending too much time too far forward either. You want him in the game and on the ball as much as possible. I'm sure him and Kane can strike a good balance in the remaining games. I just don't want to see Harry having only a couple of touches of the ball in 45 minutes again this tournament as he did in the first half.

I get that, but wouldn't want Bellingham spending too much time too far forward either. You want him in the game and on the ball as much as possible. I'm sure him and Kane can strike a good balance in the remaining games. I just don't want to see Harry having only a couple of touches of the ball in 45 minutes again this tournament as he did in the first half.

I don't think he would literally replace him as a ST, I'm just saying that he would work better because we know he can do that. The space that he would have to run into when Kane drops and drag players away would be good for him, he's been doing that for Real all season.

Back
Top Bottom