European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We had more shots, more possession, more shots on target and about three times their expected goals but yeah mate, they BOSSED it because you don’t like England.

And he constantly won possession back and read play .. like you know, you want your most defensive mid to do.

You had less total shots, possession 53-47% (wow), and an xG of 0.52 :ange-facepalm:

But sure, skew the stats in your heroic attempt to defend a Woolwich player.
:tanguythumb:

You had less total shots, possession 53-47% (wow), and an xG of 0.52 :ange-facepalm:

But sure, skew the stats in your stellar defence of a Woolwich player.
I do wonder about the obsession with stats like xG nowadays.

Surely everyone knows that when you are winning, the need to score more goals, or increase your xG, is not so necessary?

We could score 2 worldies, be 2-0 up with 0.2 xG, win the game 2-0 with 0.2 vs 1.1 xG, and some statisticians would claim the win wasn't deserved.

Skewing stats you say.. hah.

Doughty. Mitchell. Colwill. Even an out of form Chilwell would be a better option than playing Trippier. It's not just that Trippier makes us unbalanced. He's also coming off the back of a dodgy season for Newcastle where he cost them a number of goals.
To be fair, defensively Trippier had a good game yesterday, although his pace did get a bit exposed by their winger/RB on a couple of occasions. Our LHS might have been non existent going forward, but it was pretty solid defensively.

Put Gordon out on the left, and Trippier wouldn't even get a mention. Gordon would stretch the width, allowing Trippier more space to find channels. Let's not forget that he's pretty decent at picking a pass himself.

Having him at LB is obviously not ideal, but he wasn't really the issue on the left yesterday, pairing him with Foden was. Neither are going to pin their RB in his own half, but Gordon would, or should.

However, I honestly think we'll see the same lineup on Thursday. The only potential change I can see is TAA for Gallagher.

Kane is so good at finding runners, and Bellingham so technically good and strong (if not super quick), that Kane dropping deep and finding Bellingham - as a tactic to deploy for brief periods in a game - is well worth considering IMO
It also allows Bellingham to overlap Kane, which pulls their back line out of position.

Playing Gordon on the left as well, should then mean that we get 3 options for Kane to pick out, all in advance of him.

It's most definitely a tactic that should be employed IMO, but he needs to ensure that he has the right personnel in for it.

Good to see Dragusin starting for Romania.

Most reports are saying 'Ukraine need their spirits lifted', for obvious reasons. But I think it's unfair to keep pointing this out. Making it feel like a poison chalice to win against them. Subtle hint of 'let them win', too.

Slept on it thoughts:

1. Bellingham can carry the team if he stays fit, has a Moussa Dembele-like ability on the ball, love it
2. Foden should have been subbed, probably for Gordon at half time or 60min. He plays 10 or not at all
3. Kane should have been dropped at about 70min, looked sluggish
4. Trippier will be on toast against a rapid winger
5. Trent worth persisting with I think, bit sloppy but if he tidies up he's such an asset going forward
6. Stones and Guehi will do fine at the back
7. You'll win 51% of games sitting on a 1-0 lead - not going to win you a tournament with those tactics though Southgate you sap

Ukraine actually have an alright team. Lunin, Zabarnyi, Tsygankov and Dovbyk all had good seasons. That Sudakov playing the 10 is one we've been linked with too.

To be fair, defensively Trippier had a good game yesterday, although his pace did get a bit exposed by their winger/RB on a couple of occasions. Our LHS might have been non existent going forward, but it was pretty solid defensively.

Put Gordon out on the left, and Trippier wouldn't even get a mention. Gordon would stretch the width, allowing Trippier more space to find channels. Let's not forget that he's pretty decent at picking a pass himself.

Having him at LB is obviously not ideal, but he wasn't really the issue on the left yesterday, pairing him with Foden was. Neither are going to pin their RB in his own half, but Gordon would, or should.

However, I honestly think we'll see the same lineup on Thursday. The only potential change I can see is TAA for Gallagher.

TAA has outstanding ability but he's a luxury player, one you can't afford in tournaments. Wharton would make such a difference in midfield but Southgate needs to be brave enough to play him. Gallagher also makes sense to give us a bit more bite.

Yesterday was far from perfect. That goes without saying. But once Shaw comes into the team, along with hopefully Gordon and a proper midfielder, I think we will be a really good side. We showed good battling qualities yesterday against a very physical team that were right up for it. The good football will hopefully come.

He's bang on really. We gave the ball away far too much in the second half which meant we then had to chase it against a side that keeps the ball moving pretty well, as do all the sides from that part of Europe. Keep the ball like we did in the first 30 minutes or so when we had about 70% possession and you half your workload.

He pretty much said we used too much energy in the FIRST half.

TAA has outstanding ability but he's a luxury player, one you can't afford in tournaments. Wharton would make such a difference in midfield but Southgate needs to be brave enough to play him. Gallagher also makes sense to give us a bit more bite.

Yesterday was far from perfect. That goes without saying. But once Shaw comes into the team, along with hopefully Gordon and a proper midfielder, I think we will be a really good side. We showed good battling qualities yesterday against a very physical team that were right up for it. The good football will hopefully come.

Gallagher's a solid player, gets about quickly and hassles players but memories of Kalvin Phillips being great until he came up against Veratti and Barella and was chasing shadows - that's Connor Gallagher against an elite midfield I think.

Back
Top Bottom