European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see the usual England hype train has begun, in fact I think I've seen more fans convinced they're going to win the tournament than any other in recent memory.

Yep. Good. Fantastic team - last Euros we're a couple of penalty kicks away from hands on the trophy, the team is better since then.

Narrowly went out to the favourites (france) last wc - again team has improved - so why not believe? This team is very very good. Every chance of winning something when you have Walker, Stones, Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Saka, Rice, Palmer etc.

Yep. Good. Fantastic team - last Euros we're a couple of penalty kicks away from hands on the trophy, the team is better since then.

Narrowly went out to the favourites (france) last wc - again team has improved - so why not believe? This team is very very good. Every chance of winning something when you have Walker, Stones, Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Saka, Rice, Palmer etc.
Pickford, Trippier at LB, Maguire, Dunk

Pickford, Trippier at LB, Maguire, Dunk

All national teams have some shit in and around the squad unless they're striking in the midst of a freak generation which only France are.

Dunk won't start, Pickford is a good PL keeper who has never put a foot wrong for England. Maguire is an issue and Trippier should only be at LB for the groups.

We have serious, top level quality throughout most of the starting XI and the best attacking options in international football.

All national teams have some shit in and around the squad unless they're striking in the midst of a freak generation which only France are.

Dunk won't start, Pickford is a good PL keeper who has never put a foot wrong for England. Maguire is an issue and Trippier should only be at LB for the groups.

We have serious, top level quality throughout most of the starting XI and the best attacking options in international football.
Agree on the talent but Pickford is not the style of keeper I would choose. Shaw won’t be fit. Who plays with Maguire if not Dunk? Walker?

Trippier at LB is such a weak link that he will be immediately exposed by a good side

Agree on the talent but Pickford is not the style of keeper I would choose. Shaw won’t be fit. Who plays with Maguire if not Dunk? Walker?

Trippier at LB is such a weak link that he will be immediately exposed by a good side

Stones is fit. It’ll be Maguire and Stones.

Shaw will be fit. Southgate said yesterday how he was progressing better than expected. He will be introduced after the groups unless he has another setback.

Imo Southgate has hedged his bets on it, otherwise he 100% picks another left back in the squad.

Exactly. If anything I think the build up to the tournament has been pretty low key.

A team with those players SHOULD be winning tournaments. I see no reason at all why England can’t win the Euros.

Hopefully Southgate uses those attacking players (which is England’s strength - the defence isn’t great) properly.

Germany have a very good, balanced squad.

But for me, the Dutch are the dark horses. They have an incredible defence and midfield. A 3-5-2 dutch formation is mouthwatering:

GK (probably their weakest position)
Van Dijk - De Ligt - Van De Ven
Frimpong - Koopmeiners - De Jong - Xavi Simmons - Ake
Memphis - Gakpo

It's a very good 11 but the front line isn't great and I'm guessing they'll have little attacking quality on the bench either.

To be fair I think there's little difference between 5 or 6 teams with their best 11's out on the pitch. Games will be won and lost via tactical decisions in big moments and also the strength of your bench. In the knockout stages a lot of the games will be genuine 50/50 ties.

It's a very good 11 but the front line isn't great and I'm guessing they'll have little attacking quality on the bench either.

To be fair I think there's little difference between 5 or 6 teams with their best 11's out on the pitch. Games will be won and lost via tactical decisions in big moments and also the strength of your bench. In the knockout stages a lot of the games will be genuine 50/50 ties.
If teams do as expected, this could be the QFs…

Germany v Spain
Portugal v Netherlands
Belgium v France
England v Italy

The winner of first two games would play each other in SF.

That is 7 games in a row which are 55-45 or tighter.

Half of the possible semi finals would have a legendary rivalry matching up…

Netherlands v Germany
Spain v Portugal
England v France
France v Italy

Unbelievable tournament lined up.

(Until Turkey win it :D(

If teams do as expected, this could be the QFs…

Germany v Spain
Portugal v Netherlands
Belgium v France
England v Italy

The winner of first two games would play each other in SF.

That is 7 games in a row which are 55-45 or tighter.

Half of the possible semi finals would have a legendary rivalry matching up…

Netherlands v Germany
Spain v Portugal
England v France
France v Italy

Unbelievable tournament lined up.

(Until Turkey win it :D(

I would love Italy in the Quarters. I know you can never count them out, but we beat them twice in the last year or so in the Qualifiers and I would just fancy us to beat them now 6 or 7 times out of 10. But despite those two wins I'm still fucked off about the last Euros 3 years later, and knocking them out would be beautiful.

I would love Italy in the Quarters. I know you can never count them out, but we beat them twice in the last year or so in the Qualifiers and I would just fancy us to beat them now 6 or 7 times out of 10. But despite those two wins I'm still fucked off about the last Euros 3 years later, and knocking them out would be beautiful.
They’re stronger than Germany were last time. I make you favourites but would you bet there’s more than a goal in it?

A quarter final is a tight affair. Will be a great game if it happens !!

We're going out to Italy in the quarters on penalties.

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Back
Top Bottom