European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really buy into all this 'easier side of the draw' stuff. In recent years it was the same when we played Iceland, it was the same when we played Croatia, it was the same in the Euros to a certain extent. No games are ever easy, I could easily see us struggling against Italy, Netherlands and Austria. For one they will turn up for sure and two Southgate will get out classed tactically certainly by Rangnick and Spalletti.

Until England actually win something, this 'easier side of the draw' stuff will be even more embarrassing when Southgate manages to knock us out.

Even so, if we get to the final we'd be pretty much guaranteed a top team so it's all abit irrelevant in my eyes.

So on paper it's only Italy or Netherlands as "top" teams in the way of another final for England.

Southgate has been so lucky with the draws over the last few tournaments and will still manage to cock it up.

We will probably get a new manager who will do really well with the players then end up with brutal draws. That is how it goes.

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Not a single Englishman.

I don't really buy into all this 'easier side of the draw' stuff. In recent years it was the same when we played Iceland, it was the same when we played Croatia, it was the same in the Euros to a certain extent. No games are ever easy, I could easily see us struggling against Italy, Netherlands and Austria. For one they will turn up for sure and two Southgate will get out classed tactically certainly by Rangnick and Spalletti.

Until England actually win something, this 'easier side of the draw' stuff will be even more embarrassing when Southgate manages to knock us out.

Even so, if we get to the final we'd be pretty much guaranteed a top team so it's all abit irrelevant in my eyes.
As a Dutchman I agree. We play against Romania on the 'easier side of the draw'. We played shit against Austria and the QF could be Netherlands - Austria. Losing on the 'easier side of the draw' will hits even harder.

Top contenders: France/Spain and other side Austria/Switserland.
Sorry Three Lions🙇‍♂️

In the World Cup the first good team in the K.O's that England played was Croatia and they lost, if they won the group they would have played Japan then Brazil then France instead they played Colombia, Sweden then Croatia and lost to Belgium again in the play off.

This time around that right side is definitely the easier side, no games are every easy but some games are easier than others.

On performance so far Italy are underdogs against Switzerland.

Okay, Slovakia!
It should be doable, I thought!
I thought the same thing against Slovenia!

Now I think that Southgate is setting up the team in such a way that I thought correctly - Slovakia, it should be doable!

Hope dies last (after Slovakia it would be Switzerland or Italy - it should be doable....)

Fear What GIF by Minions

So on paper it's only Italy or Netherlands as "top" teams in the way of another final for England.

Southgate has been so lucky with the draws over the last few tournaments and will still manage to cock it up.
We’re honestly not that great. A couple of world class forwards but a lot of mediocrity in midfield and defence. No genuine leaders either who can lift a whole team. Just very individual players who play well when surrounded by quality teammates e.g. in Madrid or Manchester or Munich. Not one proper leader in this group. Sunday will be very hard. And I’d be surprised if we get close to the semis.

Looking on the bright side, Southgate potentially gets another game to figure out how to make this team tick.

If they are not getting out of first gear to save some energy for the finals, I'm OK with that. It would be an astounding play from someone no one rates, but you'd have to take your hat off to him.

0-1 Slovakia.

It's going to be a tense day in the LLB household on Sunday with my Slovak Mrs giving me evils and half-Slovak kids (but basically English) caught in the middle. I reckon my dog might hide upstairs for a few hours.

A few decent performances but I'd rather them than France/Portugal/Spain etc.

Yeh; it's the fear factor of big name teams and the prospect of facing other world-class players that spell the most danger of Southgate truly shitting the bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom