European Championships 2024 ⚽ 🏆 ⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really buy into all this 'easier side of the draw' stuff. In recent years it was the same when we played Iceland, it was the same when we played Croatia, it was the same in the Euros to a certain extent. No games are ever easy, I could easily see us struggling against Italy, Netherlands and Austria. For one they will turn up for sure and two Southgate will get out classed tactically certainly by Rangnick and Spalletti.

Until England actually win something, this 'easier side of the draw' stuff will be even more embarrassing when Southgate manages to knock us out.

Even so, if we get to the final we'd be pretty much guaranteed a top team so it's all abit irrelevant in my eyes.
Southgate has got us kicked out of four tournaments so far, and is heading for a fifth.

"Nice to see your own fans throwing beer cups at you. And to be fair, not all England fans were hurling sud-soaked projectiles at Gareth Southgate as he strode towards them at full time in Cologne. Let’s not paint the whole fanbase with the same brush. Some of them were making “wanker” signs. Some were booing. Some were giving him the thumbs down. Most had already left to catch the tram. So, you know, got to appreciate the nuances there." 😄

Anyone else noticed Kane's pretty decent Elvis impression he's got going at these Euros?

I don't really buy into all this 'easier side of the draw' stuff. In recent years it was the same when we played Iceland, it was the same when we played Croatia, it was the same in the Euros to a certain extent. No games are ever easy, I could easily see us struggling against Italy, Netherlands and Austria. For one they will turn up for sure and two Southgate will get out classed tactically certainly by Rangnick and Spalletti.

Until England actually win something, this 'easier side of the draw' stuff will be even more embarrassing when Southgate manages to knock us out.

Even so, if we get to the final we'd be pretty much guaranteed a top team so it's all abit irrelevant in my eyes.

Just cos we didn't win; doesn't mean to say they weren't an easier routes to the finals.

....How can it be "irrelevant" if playing perceived lesser teams allows us a better chance of doing further in spite of Gary's shitness?

The thing we need to exploit with Slovakia is their confidence and 'imposter syndrome'. It's a small country, expectations are low and they don't really have superstars. Their main sport isn't football, it's Ice Hockey.

If we let them settle they'll grow in confidence and are, lets face it, better coached in many ways.

England need to press hard from the start and force errors at the back, and then keep the pressure on until at least 2-0 up. If we do go two goals ahead I don't see them coming back.

It's going to be a tense day in the LLB household on Sunday with my Slovak Mrs giving me evils and half-Slovak kids (but basically English) caught in the middle. I reckon my dog might hide upstairs for a few hours.
Come on, it won't be that bad....one half of the household well up for it, enjoying their performances and expecting to do well and go deep in the competition....and the other half English.....

"Nice to see your own fans throwing beer cups at you. And to be fair, not all England fans were hurling sud-soaked projectiles at Gareth Southgate as he strode towards them at full time in Cologne. Let’s not paint the whole fanbase with the same brush. Some of them were making “wanker” signs. Some were booing. Some were giving him the thumbs down. Most had already left to catch the tram. So, you know, got to appreciate the nuances there." 😄

That's quite a good piece.

"We all know how it ends. We just want to feel something in the meantime." - hard to argue with that.

Unless, of course, Southgate is playing everyone and lulling the big dogs into a false sense of security, which is still a possibility! It must be. I want to believe. Please, let me have this.

I would be surprised if England go past Slovakia.
Surprise parties are the best

Come on England!

Season 5 Party GIF by Pee-wee Herman

Back
Top Bottom