European Super League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC and Levy make me sick.

If this football club does indeed join a breakaway super league as the media speculate it will I’m done! I will be happy to live with my memories both good and bad following Spurs from 1979/80 to date... and know that my reasons for calling it a day are sound.

I was and I am vehemently against any European stranglehold on my country which Is why I fought very strongly for Brexit; I am likewise against the Americanisation of the structure of English football and the inevitable end of our promotion and relegation system as will indeed be imposed on their [USA]say so.

This to me is treason. In effect it means the inevitable very slow death of English football from Championship, league 2, league1 and further to grass roots level and to my local club Dulwich Hamlet FC.

If Spurs join the nail in the coffin of English football - I’m done with the club.

Last edited:
After all the hyperventilating yesterday I guess we will get a better steer today on what is really going to happen.

The meeting of the Premier League 14 will be a reality check on who actually generates the money ... it's not Burnley or Brighton. So whether the 14 try to play hardball or decide to reach out a hand to the 6 will be a good data point.

As a man of the people Boris will want to milk this for ratings, but whether his various meetings with fan groups is going to turn into anything should become clear soon. Are the government willing to legislate to force a change in club ownership? If they legislate to force a German-style arrangement football goes one way, if they leave ownership in the current hands then the 6 will continue to build global sport conglomerates.

This is straight out of the Machiavellian handbook = propose a radical and over reaching proposal, step back while everyone goes bananas, then you revise and propose a watered down version. Everyone thinks they have reached a hard fought compromise, when it was the plan all along.

This is straight out of the Machiavellian handbook = propose a radical and over reaching proposal, step back while everyone goes bananas, then you revise and propose a watered down version. Everyone thinks they have reached a hard fought compromise, when it was the plan all along.

That's the plan but all it will do is kick the can further down the road and in 5/10 years time they'll try again but this time with more clubs involved.

All that can be done now is to postpone it.

A decent view of Spanish reaction, apathy and belief it was inevitable largely.

Join Phil & Sid in the podmobile for discussion of the proposed new European Super League. For Q&As, Bonus Pods, Paper Reviews and TSFP Presents, join us at patreon.com/tsfp.

* Published: 19/04/2021 17:42:57

* Episode Download link (30 MB): http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheSpanishFootballPodcast/~5/F_LWGUaV4KQ/tsfp2096.mp3

* Show Notes: The Spanish Football Podcast : The Spanish Football Podcast: What Makes This Different

* Episode feed: The Spanish Football Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheSpanishFootballPodcast

Perez doing a brilliant job of being King Cunt...............

FP:
“The Super League is not a closed league, it’s absolutely not true. Whoever wins the five available spots will be able to play with the other best teams in the world”

“President Ceferin insulted Andrea Agnelli today, it is not possible. It’s crazy to discuss a president of a world club like Juventus. This is something unacceptable, UEFA must change, we don’t want a president who insults other presidents.”

"If young people find football matches too long it may be because they are not interesting enough... or maybe we might have to make the football matches shorter".

After all the hyperventilating yesterday I guess we will get a better steer today on what is really going to happen.

The meeting of the Premier League 14 will be a reality check on who actually generates the money ... it's not Burnley or Brighton. So whether the 14 try to play hardball or decide to reach out a hand to the 6 will be a good data point.

As a man of the people Boris will want to milk this for ratings, but whether his various meetings with fan groups is going to turn into anything should become clear soon. Are the government willing to legislate to force a change in club ownership? If they legislate to force a German-style arrangement football goes one way, if they leave ownership in the current hands then the 6 will continue to build global sport conglomerates.
The PL is dead if they allow this, irrelevant like the Scottish league.

Short term pain for longer term gain, if they allow this then they will be after PL money /power too.

There is a viable less rich PL even without the 6.

The 6 need to be in the PL for this to work also.

The PL is dead if they allow this, irrelevant like the Scottish league.

Short term pain for longer term gain, if they allow this then they will be after PL money /power too.

There is a viable less rich PL even without the 6.

The 6 need to be in the PL for this to work also.
There was a guy from a Man United supporters club (I think) on the radio this morning saying the 14 should kick the 6 out and take the consequences, including the revenue hit. Let the highest paid players go to the richer clubs, cut player wages and live within their means.

It is a perfectly respectable idea if that is the way the 14 want to go. Basically burst the money bubble and run the whole thing at a lower level financially. You would still have a lot of good clubs playing very competitive football. Like a super-charged Championship.

There was a guy from a Man United supporters club (I think) on the radio this morning saying the 14 should kick the 6 out and take the consequences, including the revenue hit. Let the highest paid players go to the richer clubs, cut player wages and live within their means.

It is a perfectly respectable idea if that is the way the 14 want to go. Basically burst the money bubble and run the whole thing at a lower level financially. You would still have a lot of good clubs playing very competitive football. Like a super-charged Championship.
Agreed. I did hear on a podcast of an idea if that happened.

6 apply to join the football league, can't get promoted out of championship. Means bigger TV deal in the championship than PL. Clubs want to be relegated /not promoted to get more ££.

Weird times, I hope we the 14 call their bluff and they (we) realise they are not bigger than the sport..

They will make much more money in the ESL and only play each other in glamour ties and stadiums without the iconveniencd of playing smaller sides in shitter stadiums

In other words if West Ham qualify. Nobody wants to play them in their shithole.

BKnkdhFA

I can guarantee following Grimsby would be a laugh.

My next door neighbour is a Grimsby Town supporter, his Dad and a couple of his mates came down (his Dad has been to almost every game for the past 30yrs or so) to watch them play Orient and I tagged along. Fucking brilliant afternoon out. They are mental supporters, very passionate without any expectation of watching anything decent. Highly recomend.

Back
Top Bottom