FA approach WBA to speak to Woy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have a few more speculative responses regarding development:

1. It's a means by which the wage paid the manager can be justified. He's doing more than playing FIFA for 40 weeks a year.

2. Puts a stamp on the whole country, allowing a more long-term approach to footballing success. IIRC, after RSA, all of England was crying about why they can't have nice shiny youth development programs like Germany. Bring in a manager who sees that big picture and it's easier to have the big picture come to fruition. Bring in a one-time charlie who will help guide a bunch of prima donnas through a WC before fucking off to manage some small time team in Asia that pays a mint, and your national side will never reach its potential.

1 + 2 are means by which turnover can be limited. I suspect the position of national team manager will start to be seen as a career path/goal, not just a golden parachute or stop-gap between club gigs.

But these are all completely speculative, invented on the 62 bus.

Stuck with Harry?

So with Roy pretty much having the England job sewn up, are we now stuck with old saggy face?

Am I the only one who thinks Levy needs to take over and get rid? I don't trust Harry with our summer funds and I sure as hell know I don't want another season of his 'tactics'.

Re: Stuck with Harry?

Not sure but I'm glad this is another Harry thread, I felt the other one didn't cover this well enough.

Re: Stuck with Harry?

Every club needs a manager that is in charge indefinitely, I can see a situation where Woy doesn't pull up any trees at the Euro's and the whole nation clamours for Redknapp to be appointed.......he will of course encourage this

so therefore we may as well get rid on the final day of the season and give a new manager the opportunity to build for the long term

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp wishes Roy Hodgson "all the best" during an impromptu news conference from his car window on his way into the Spurs training ground.

Redknapp calls Hodgson a "top man" and "good guy", stating he hopes the West Brom manager takes the reins of the national side and insisting he remains happy to continue the "great job" he has at White Hart Lane despite speculation linking him to the role.

This is genuine :roflmao:

Anyone else reckon HR has put a shitload of blood money on Woy becoming next manager?

F.A. probably phoned him, "Nah, let Woy have it, t'riffic bloke, top geeza" etc. etc. - then sent Rosie down Ladbrokes to collect his winnings.

Article in the Independent today saying that, in at least some respects, in must be a relief for Harry. At least he knows where he stands after being in limbo since the day Capello resigned. He'll no doubt want to start talks with Levy about a new contract and then it will become clear whether Levy wants him or not. Either way he'll be able to start thinking about what next.

Right now I think it's important that the club has some stability. Not just with regards to 3 massive games, but going in to one of our most important transfer windows in recent years. Harry staying could make some players feel comfortable, or at least know where they stand, whilst others will want to be straight out the door. The same for any potential signings we have lined up.

As for Woy for Engerland, I feel completely indifferent. At least with Redknapp I knew it would be entertaining in some way, both on and off the pitch.

Think people now need to get off harrys back. He is what he is, at least he tries to play good football.

Those saying he was not trying are deluded, what does that gain him& the same thing happened last year.

I have seen the best football this year at the lane than I have before.

In short he is a cunt but our cunt

r-u-s-x said:
Think people now need to get off harrys back. He is what he is, at least he tries to play good football.

Those saying he was not trying are deluded, what does that gain him& the same thing happened last year.

I have seen the best football this year at the lane than I have before.

In short he is a cunt but our cunt

I don't think anyone is saying he hasn't been trying, but I think there's a fair case to be made that he's let the England talk majorly affect his performance as the Spurs manager since Capello left. People can say all they want but it's had an effect, it can't be a coincidence.

Harry and the team were excellent up until the Woolwich game. I expected us to drop our standards slightly at some point, but the fact the slump went on for 2 months is unacceptable. It went on far too long.

Sibs said:
Article in the Independent today saying that, in at least some respects, in must be a relief for Harry. At least he knows where he stands after being in limbo since the day Capello resigned. He'll no doubt want to start talks with Levy about a new contract and then it will become clear whether Levy wants him or not. Either way he'll be able to start thinking about what next.

Right now I think it's important that the club has some stability. Not just with regards to 3 massive games, but going in to one of our most important transfer windows in recent years. Harry staying could make some players feel comfortable, or at least know where they stand, whilst others will want to be straight out the door. The same for any potential signings we have lined up.

As for Woy for Engerland, I feel completely indifferent. At least with Redknapp I knew it would be entertaining in some way, both on and off the pitch.

That's kind of like saying it's better to know for certain that your lottery numbers haven't come up than left not knowing the result.

Blanchflower said:
Sibs said:

That's kind of like saying it's better to know for certain that your lottery numbers haven't come up than left not knowing the result.

Well, in a way it is. If you're trying to base your future on that, knowing either way is probably better than not.

According to what I was reading last night the FA weren't interested because Harry only really wanted to be coach, whereas the FA wanted someone who was going to get stuck in and involved in stuff like the technical development side and the new facility at St. George's Park. Woy, with his previous international experience, had more to offer on that side.

Personally I reckon that's bull though. I don't think it's got anything to do with that, or with paying Levy compensation. After the extortionate salaries of Sven and Capello, I think the FA simply didn't want to pay a high salary. Redknapp is already on, what, £3m a year at Spurs? Chances are that Woy will be paid less than Harry earns at Spurs, let alone what he would've damnded to go to England.

I would love to know what Levy is thinking right now.

We have a lot of players out of contract and a lot older players who have not had many games, combined with a few players (Jenas, Bentley, Gio etc) that need to move on.

We could conceivably lose ALL our strikers.

Thats a lot of new faces that need bringing in - and probably a lot of money spent to acheive it too.

You would also think in an ideal world they will have targets already and want to get deals done as soon as possible?

Dru said:
You would also think in an ideal world they will have targets already and want to get deals done as soon as possible?
Pretty sure there's been rumours that the Hazard deal "is almost done" and Vertonghen was meant to have had a "deal agreed" - both seem dead in the water now which is a bit confusing.

We need to know for certain, at the latest by July 1st, exactly who our manager is going to be, and give them the ammunition to get players in before August 31st for a change.

Dru said:

We have a lot of players out of contract and a lot older players who have not had many games, combined with a few players (Jenas, Bentley, Gio etc) that need to move on.
Buy one Modric get two Bentleys free?

Dru said:

We could conceivably lose ALL our strikers.

Thats a lot of new faces that need bringing in - and probably a lot of money spent to acheive it too.

Good point, didn't think of it like that.

With the planning for the NLD on the horizon Levy must have been thinking we should only need to make tweaks to the squad. However, he also knows that we need to challenge for the Champions League to get the money in for both NLD and squad. Finally he is, as you say, looking at all the deadwood that we are going to lose money on.

I still have trust in Levy though, he must have a plan.

An evil master plan, but still a plan. :levystare:

Abbey Yid said:
Pretty sure there's been rumours that the Hazard deal "is almost done" and Vertonghen was meant to have had a "deal agreed" - both seem dead in the water now which is a bit confusing.
It isn't confusing at all when you consider that when those deals were first touter we were almost dead certs for a 3rd place finish with a ten point gap.

Now CL qualification is in the balance. I am not surprised at all to see targets such as these now waiting to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom