FA approach WBA to speak to Woy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When I say I would love to know what Levy is thinking I meant with regard to the need to bring in a lot of new players over the next two seasons and does he either back Redknapp knowing he might not want to manage past the end of next season or the one after, or does he get a hungry new manager in and back him to build something?

Cudicini
Gomes
Gallas
Hellboy
Ledley
Nelsen
Saha
Corluka
Bentley
Jenas
Ade
Gio
Bassong
Niko?
Defoe?

All COULD leave, some certainly will.

Then there is Modric and Bale.

Big decisions ahead...

Smoked Salmon said:
Abbey Yid said:
Pretty sure there's been rumours that the Hazard deal "is almost done" and Vertonghen was meant to have had a "deal agreed" - both seem dead in the water now which is a bit confusing.
It isn't confusing at all when you consider that when those deals were first touter we were almost dead certs for a 3rd place finish with a ten point gap.

Now CL qualification is in the balance. I am not surprised at all to see targets such as these now waiting to see what happens.
This just highlights the importance of getting business done early though to be honest.

Chelski have already announced Marin, and the gooners have Podolski and very probably Vertonghen. Neither are guaranteed CL next season yet.. I guess really it'd just be nice to not worry about "what if's" for a change!

Dru said:
When I say I would love to know what Levy is thinking I meant with regard to the need to bring in a lot of new players over the next two seasons and does he either back Redknapp knowing he might not want to manage past the end of next season or the one after, or does he get a hungry new manager in and back him to build something?

Cudicini
Gomes

Gallas
Hellboy
Ledley
Nelsen
Saha
Corluka
Bentley
Jenas

Ade
Gio
Bassong
Niko?
Defoe?

All COULD leave, some certainly will.

Then there is Modric and Bale.

Big decisions ahead...

Bold's are all fringe players and quite easily replaceable. Could imagine Levy will want to phase through some youth players to replace some of them. E.g. Caulker, Button, Townsend, Kane, Falque (?)

taking my spurs hat off for the moment, what on earth are the FA thinking?! There's an English guy (Redknapp) managing a team with limited resources and playing good football near the top of the league. He also defeated Inter and AC Milan in the champions league last year.

To not have at least interviewed him is bordering on gorss neglegence in my opinion. Sure Woy has a few more strings to his bow in terms of technical experience and could be better for developing the yoot system, but both Capello and Sven were supposed to be these tactical geniuses and look how far that got us.

Woy has already shown that he struggles to motivate the big time charlie players in this country whilst at Liverpool. Unless he literally sacks off Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Ferdinand etc. and starts anew, nothing will be any different.

At least with Harry in charge we might have been a bit entertaining.

I'm bored enough with England as it is and have never looked forward to an international tournament less. This just makes it worse.
Thank god I'm in Florida for most of it!

jimmyriggle said:
taking my spurs hat off for the moment, what on earth are the FA thinking?! There's an English guy (Redknapp) managing a team with limited resources and playing good football near the top of the league. He also defeated Inter and AC Milan in the champions league last year.

To not have at least interviewed him is bordering on gorss neglegence in my opinion. Sure Woy has a few more strings to his bow in terms of technical experience and could be better for developing the yoot system, but both Capello and Sven were supposed to be these tactical geniuses and look how far that got us.

Woy has already shown that he struggles to motivate the big time charlie players in this country whilst at Liverpool. Unless he literally sacks off Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Ferdinand etc. and starts anew, nothing will be any different.

I'm bored enough with England as it is and have never looked forward to an international tournament less. This just makes it worse.

England have zero chance of winning the Euro's no matter who is in charge, they will get to the quarters and no further like they do every time.

So why pay £10m comp and £5m a year when you can pay £0 comp and £3m a year??

Redknapp failed his interview with our recent run of pathetic results.

Plus they know he'd only pick Rio, Lumpard, Terry and co again so it would be back to square one!

Dru said:
Redknapp failed his interview with our recent run of pathetic results.

Plus they know he'd only pick Rio, Lumpard, Terry and co again so it would be back to square one!

Not sure many at the FA would have been impressed by him calling for a recall for Paul Scholes when he retired from International football 8 years ago

Blanchflower said:
jimmyriggle said:

England have zero chance of winning the Euro's no matter who is in charge, they will get to the quarters and no further like they do every time.

So why pay £10m comp and £5m a year when you can pay £0 comp and £3m a year??
Yup.

I think that's the long and the short of it really.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry installed after his Spurs contract ends, with Roy having gotten the sack after a post-Euro media roasting.

It's a lame duck job at present because there simply isn't enough time to prepare.

Having said that, I do think that Woy getting looked at as inferior to Harry is somewhat unfair. His career win percentage is better than Redknappp's and everyone talks about his "failure" at Liverpool, but his win percentage at Liverpoool was better than his win percentage at West Brom, and was only 7% less than Harry's at Spurs. Plus he has considerable experience managing international sides, has also managed top clubs such as Inter and has won several European Leagues (albeit not the top ones).

When you put Harry's "success" at Tottenham aside, Roy does have the better CV for the job.

Right, so the FA decided unanimously that they wanted Roy Hodgson 1 month ago, yet they waited till friday before they approached him because they didn't want to disrupt their season, even though they were safe weeks ago. Meanwhile, the media are continuing their campaign for Redknapp and the FA have been sitting around knowing that Hodgson's their man. Fucking ridiculous.

Im not blaming this on our downfall, but it has no doubt had an effect, and it would have helped if they came out and just said he wasn't in the running, but oh no. Phil Gartside came out (last week?) and starting bigging up Redknapp again saying he's an outstanding manager.

Yeah, sure FA. You handled that fucking marvellously.

CJM said:
Im not blaming this on our downfall, but it has no doubt had an effect, and it would have helped if they came out and just said he wasn't in the running,

Agreed.

Our chips have been Roy-ally pissed on! :rimshot:

Thelonious said:
would've helped if Arry wasn't a media whore as well

Agreed, Redknapp's handled this quite poorly as well, but for the FA to just stand by and watch knowing that Redknapp wasn't going to get the job really frustrates me.

Agreed, Redknapp's handled this quite poorly as well, but for the FA to just stand by and watch knowing that Redknapp wasn't going to get the job really frustrates me.

The FA probably enjoyed it though the sadistic bastards. :bmj:

philyjc said:

I enjoyed it in a masochistic way

Thelonious said:
philyjc said:

I enjoyed it in a masochistic way

:baeshock: Whatever gets you rocks off I suppose :bae:

Smoked Salmon said:
Having said that, I do think that Woy getting looked at as inferior to Harry is somewhat unfair. His career win percentage is better than Redknappp's and everyone talks about his "failure" at Liverpool, but his win percentage at Liverpoool was better than his win percentage at West Brom, and was only 7% less than Harry's at Spurs. Plus he has considerable experience managing international sides, has also managed top clubs such as Inter and has won several European Leagues (albeit not the top ones).

When you put Harry's "success" at Tottenham aside, Roy does have the better CV for the job.
Roy is also less likely to embarrass the FA in the media, tbf.

So they chose a 'yes man' this time, who will be cheaper and will lower the expectations of the public. Thereby reducing the inevitable flack of media hype followed by poor performances at the Euros. You can understand why they did it.

But considering they knew 'a month ago' and it was 'unanimous', you have to ask why things like this were allowed to happen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17783503

Back
Top Bottom