FA Cup - Everton Vs Tottenham, Wed 10th Feb 8:15pm (BT Sport).

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who goes through?

• Total voters
Really not seeking your help, but gracious of you to offer irrespective of how unwanted it is. Perhaps someone else needs your valuable insights, hope this suggestion does not trigger a stampede.
It’s a witty post and quite a funny one. Sent me back into my box alright!

However, can you explain how and why the players can pass like last night, but then churn out crap v Brighton etc?

Cos basic skills don’t change due to a formation. If you can’t that’s fine too.

Just weird that you enjoyed the way we played last night, but claim the manager can’t make them play that way. He can, but what he can’t do is come on the pitch and trap a football and put easy chances away.

Really enjoyed the game to be honest. Loved it....even the moments of inept Spursy-ness! A throw back to Spurs of old under Jol or Harry, perhaps even tactics Tim! Either way, I think it’s time for all of us to re-adjust our sights and expectations a little.
Yes, we’ve built this huge fuck off stadium fit for the CL/NFL but Spurs really haven’t managed to move very far in terms of accomplishments and winning. We are a top 8 team who might enjoy the odd cup run (clearly not the FA Cup 2021!). So, to last nights game:

Should’ve been 2 or 3 up before Everton scored

Everton’s defence was every bit a shaky and lacking in confidence as ours. When their goals came along though - bang bang bang - it felt almost comical. Typical

Lamela worked his bollocks off; felt Kane and Son together at the end would win us the game in normal time.

Hojberg had one to forget - poor mistake - but gets a pass due to his previous performances. Lloris also weak on several goals - signs there that all isn’t quite right with him.

Moura was shocking from the off - can’t pass, makes terrible decisions. Found out prior to KO that he is a vocal supporter of Bolsanaro too.

Subs: Winks, Sissoko, Dele - fucking hell. Been a supporter of Winksy since he broke into the team but enough is enough now. He isn’t good enough and probably won’t ever be (come in O.Skipp). Dele - jogged about a bit. Didn’t look at all like a player with a chance of redemption. Sissoko was Sissoko-like.

The defence was simply a Spurs defence. Headless chickens. Average/ageing players. Didn’t even look as if they’d been introduced.

would love to know how much of last nights approach was down to Mourinho and how much was just the players reacting to what was in front of them..

Good luck to Everton. Hope they win it. The ‘Tottenham’ of the north!
Blaming the subs AFTER we'd already conceded 3 and 4 is classic Spurs.

It’s a witty post and quite a funny one. Sent me back into my box alright!

However, can you explain how and why the players can pass like last night, but then churn out crap v Brighton etc?

Cos basic skills don’t change due to a formation. If you can’t that’s fine too.

Just weird that you enjoyed the way we played last night, but claim the manager can’t make them play that way. He can, but what he can’t do is come on the pitch and trap a football and put easy chances away.
Glad you approved, not being sarcastic. When one tries to be witty and it doesn’t lad you end up feeling
a bit of a knob

i am not holding Jose responsible for anything that happened last night Sammy, I genuinely enjoyed the way we played, just hated the result.
We were shambolic , but I was wrong to attribute that to Jose. Probably just annoyed that we can play entertaining football and fail, but have chosen to fail playing terrible football last few months

To each his own I guess, I have just hated our negative approach. As I say I was wrong to blame him for last night, but stand by my comments on other matches

if you want the attention of someone at that level, writing a letter like that is not the way to do it, and in the highly unlikely event that that letter ever made it to his desk, he would get 2 lines in and throw it away.
He wouldn't tolerate anyone talking to him like that.

Mail sent to him for business would be opened by a PA and that would be filtered out at that level. No PA worth their salt would ever present their boss with something like that.

The intentions of the letter are fine (ish) but the method and delivery are niave and crass and would not be entertained by someone who operates at his level.

If you believe that in 20 years of running a top flight football club, that Daniel Levy has learned nothing about the game, the expectations of the fan base, the expectations of the media, the pressure of the media, the politics of football at national, european and international level as well as how to deal with political influence then you are a fool.
He may not be a die hard fan like you and me, but he knows more about the game than you or I will ever know.
we might know the names of the double winning team, or who took the penalties in the EUFA cup win and he doesn't, but he knows how to run a football club and keep it alive, and as he's proved, keep it dining at the top table. We might not get to take home the silverware but we get to eat with the people that do, and that means that he's doing his job well enough to sustain the clubs value.

But rest assured, he wants the club to win things, because it means it earns more money, he doesn't care about the kudos and bragging rights like we do, but he wants the success like we do.
Just for totally different reasons.
Good points well made, but none of that qualifies him to pick the players we buy as he clearly likes to stick his nose in. And has since he took over, why doesn't he employ someone who knows and has genuine football credentials.....

If the almost invisble touch on Everton was a penalty, then why was Dele Alli booked for a similar offence, and why did VAR not give a clear handball by Tom Davies sticking his elbow out? Was very clear and obvious on the replay. Also why did referee not book Davies for a huge BARGE in the back of Ndombele right in front of the ref early on.
Also why was Siggurdsson allowed to stay on the pitch after fouling Spurs player 4 times to bring him down and then did another foul soon after?

When are Spurs going accuse the FA of anti-semitism as Tottenham are getting the WORST refereeing in the entire league - it must be Spurs' Jewish connection that is behind it. They are stamping down on racism but anti-semitism is encouraged!
I was with you 100%, but then you started spouting 'anti-semitism' nonsense.

scarletjim scarletjim who puts a disagree on a post asking a fellow forum member not to use an abusive term about mental illness ?
You need some help fella?
No no I'm fine thanks, I just believe that words have different meanings in different contexts, and if we stopped using all words that might upset someone, then this forum might as well shut down for a start... It has always been my opinion that people should look at words in the context in which they are used, and try to determine whether in those contexts they mean the same as when they are deliberately used to cause offence before trying to ban the words. That's just my opinion of course, others are entitled to hold different ones. :)

EDIT: Actually though, whilst I didn't like the 'Proper offensive' bit being used a some kind of definitive statement, you were polite about your request, and you did say please, so on reflection, my apologies for adding the dislike - I'll remove it now. Peace. :)

Last edited:
We might not get to take home the silverware but we get to eat with the people that do, and that means that he's doing his job well enough to sustain the clubs value.

giphy.gif

No no I'm fine thanks, I just believe that words have different meanings in different contexts, and if we stopped using all words that might upset someone, then this forum might as well shut down for a start... It has always been my opinion that people should look at words in the context in which they are used, and try to determine whether in those contexts they mean the same as when they are deliberately used to cause offence before trying to ban the words. That's just my opinion of course, others are entitled to hold different ones. :)

EDIT: Actually though, whilst I didn't like the 'Proper offensive' bit being used a some kind of definitive statement, you were polite about your request, and you did say please, so on reflection, my apologies for adding the dislike - I'll remove it now. Peace. :)
Cheers

Oops, just clicked on the wrong match thread, saw Tottenham in bold in the poll, and got very briefly confused / surprised - I'm not sure which is worse, 70% of Spurs fans thinking we'll beat Man City on Saturday, or 70% of Spurs fans still thinking we're going to beat Everton last night. :/

Good points well made, but none of that qualifies him to pick the players we buy as he clearly likes to stick his nose in. And has since he took over, why doesn't he employ someone who knows and has genuine football credentials.....
How do you know that he does that?

It's no secret that he is involved in the financial negotiations for them, but as far as is made public the selection is made by the footballing employees the club has for the purpose of identifying the eligible players that are available to negotiate for.

Blaming the subs AFTER we'd already conceded 3 and 4 is classic Spurs.
It’s a shame we can’t bring subs on that can get a game over the line. As it turns out, ours collectively put in underwhelming appearances and contributed to the defeat. It doesn’t help that we play a holding midfielder (who is questionable at best) as a right wing-back.

How do you know that he does that?

It's no secret that he is involved in the financial negotiations for them, but as far as is made public the selection is made by the footballing employees the club has for the purpose of identifying the eligible players that are available to negotiate for.
Well Gareth bale, van der vart are but 2 that he definitely bought over the manager and I'm sure they are not the only 2...I would imagine rodon is one also, as mourinho wanted skriniar. Not sure mourinho scouts in the championship to be fair

Back
Top Bottom