FA Cup - Everton Vs Tottenham, Wed 10th Feb 8:15pm (BT Sport).

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who goes through?

• Total voters
For anyone else who writes to the chairman - that is an exact copy/paste response from Julia at Supporters Services saying our comments have been noted, so not sure he reads all fans' complaints or advice at all.

More likely "your comments have not been noted, get bent".
Damn right, I knew that was the case . Like I said it was an exercise in venting some irritation.
It actually helped 🤣😆

Re-watched the game, Game turned when we brought on Vinny, Winks and Sissoko.
All sub par players.

Son and Kane were playing great last night but the drag factor was evident, our fluidity pretty much ended when we made the wholesale changes.

Pretty much every Everton goal was an individual error.

We aren't going to get anywhere while different players keep making individual errors and with the mediocrity in the squad.

Re-watched the game, Game turned when we brought on Vinny, Winks and Sissoko.
All sub par players.

Son and Kane were playing great last night but the drag factor was evident, our fluidity pretty much ended when we made the wholesale changes.

Pretty much every Everton goal was an individual error.

We aren't going to get anywhere while different players keep making individual errors and with the mediocrity in the squad.
Definitely. Such a contrast with the first half when it was like watching us on Netflix at x1.5 speed. Lucas, Lamela, Bergwijn and Son flew at them. They hardly knew where the ball was. It was a lot of fun to watch. But when they announced Winks and Sissoko, deep down I felt we were fucked. Those two barely put 5 mins of quality time in together...in total!

Sissoko can sometimes have his uses but Winks needs shifting. He's not even squad player level any more. I was genuinely a big fan of his at first and have always held on to the hope that he can shift up a level. But it hasn't happened. Nothing. If anything he's gone the other way and become a bland mediocrity. Painful to say, but time to move him on.

Fair enough, then you too are happy with all that's going on and the fact he has no clue regarding football . That's why he gets away with us being shit imo
if you want the attention of someone at that level, writing a letter like that is not the way to do it, and in the highly unlikely event that that letter ever made it to his desk, he would get 2 lines in and throw it away.
He wouldn't tolerate anyone talking to him like that.

Mail sent to him for business would be opened by a PA and that would be filtered out at that level. No PA worth their salt would ever present their boss with something like that.

The intentions of the letter are fine (ish) but the method and delivery are niave and crass and would not be entertained by someone who operates at his level.

If you believe that in 20 years of running a top flight football club, that Daniel Levy has learned nothing about the game, the expectations of the fan base, the expectations of the media, the pressure of the media, the politics of football at national, european and international level as well as how to deal with political influence then you are a fool.
He may not be a die hard fan like you and me, but he knows more about the game than you or I will ever know.
we might know the names of the double winning team, or who took the penalties in the EUFA cup win and he doesn't, but he knows how to run a football club and keep it alive, and as he's proved, keep it dining at the top table. We might not get to take home the silverware but we get to eat with the people that do, and that means that he's doing his job well enough to sustain the clubs value.

But rest assured, he wants the club to win things, because it means it earns more money, he doesn't care about the kudos and bragging rights like we do, but he wants the success like we do.
Just for totally different reasons.

if you want the attention of someone at that level, writing a letter like that is not the way to do it, and in the highly unlikely event that that letter ever made it to his desk, he would get 2 lines in and throw it away.
He wouldn't tolerate anyone talking to him like that.

Mail sent to him for business would be opened by a PA and that would be filtered out at that level. No PA worth their salt would ever present their boss with something like that.

The intentions of the letter are fine (ish) but the method and delivery are niave and crass and would not be entertained by someone who operates at his level.

If you believe that in 20 years of running a top flight football club, that Daniel Levy has learned nothing about the game, the expectations of the fan base, the expectations of the media, the pressure of the media, the politics of football at national, european and international level as well as how to deal with political influence then you are a fool.
He may not be a die hard fan like you and me, but he knows more about the game than you or I will ever know.
we might know the names of the double winning team, or who took the penalties in the EUFA cup win and he doesn't, but he knows how to run a football club and keep it alive, and as he's proved, keep it dining at the top table. We might not get to take home the silverware but we get to eat with the people that do, and that means that he's doing his job well enough to sustain the clubs value.

But rest assured, he wants the club to win things, because it means it earns more money, he doesn't care about the kudos and bragging rights like we do, but he wants the success like we do.
Just for totally different reasons.
To be fair to Levy, I reckon he hurts as bad as we do when things go wrong on the pitch. He's not just a business machine, he's human too. Agree with the rest of your post though.

If the almost invisble touch on Everton was a penalty, then why was Dele Alli booked for a similar offence, and why did VAR not give a clear handball by Tom Davies sticking his elbow out? Was very clear and obvious on the replay. Also why did referee not book Davies for a huge BARGE in the back of Ndombele right in front of the ref early on.
Also why was Siggurdsson allowed to stay on the pitch after fouling Spurs player 4 times to bring him down and then did another foul soon after?

When are Spurs going accuse the FA of anti-semitism as Tottenham are getting the WORST refereeing in the entire league - it must be Spurs' Jewish connection that is behind it. They are stamping down on racism but anti-semitism is encouraged!

What won’t work at Tottenham?
That three world class players turn up against Liverpool once in a while.

Was it Jose that cost us the CL final too?
You are totally correct Jose didn’t cost us a Champions League final, pretty sure the old dino never will. We ain’t getting close under him in my opinion, he won’t cost us the final , he will cost us qualification.

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Great match to watch. Two squads playing free form football, throwing haymaker after haymaker at each other. Brilliant

2. We should’ve had this one put to bed early. Everton was shit the first 15 minutes and we had SO many missed chances.

3. Snatchez with a brace. Who’d of thunk it? So good to see him smile and look like he’s enjoying it. That being said, he was terrible. On Richarlison’s goal to go ahead 4-3, Sanchez received ball at the top of the box, but instead of turning and clearing, he chucks it back to Doherty, who was pinned down and forced a poor clearance. Richarlison, then blows by Sanchez for the goal. Ugh

4. Son has the best foot skills on the team. Far and away. However, he STILL needs to make one more pass. Can’t count how many times he’s passed up a “sure” assist for a questionable shot.

5. Hojbjerg, was solid most of the day, but brain fart resulted in Everton’s first goal. That was a rare mistake by him and Hugo, who should of punched the shot.

6. Lamela is a maniac, love him and hate him.

7. Thought Bergwijn played exceptional. He came out way too early for me.

8. Dele was shit, no surprises.

9. Lucas was even shittier. My standard opinion on Hairy’s Thoughts.

10. Sissoko and Winks on late, Bale doesn’t even make the bench?
:pochsulk:

11. Kane’s header was top shelf. His directs.....not so much. Can’t understand why a 6‘2” striker is taking directs, 40 yards out. Son is much better on delivering the ball.

12. Still so many missed traps and poor passes. Got to button that up somehow. Too nervy.

13. Still have Carabao, and Europa. COYS!

Last edited:
You are totally correct Jose didn’t cost us a Champions League final, pretty sure the old dino never will. We ain’t getting close under him in my opinion, he won’t cost us the final , he will cost us qualification.
Waffle waffle waffle

What did cost us the CL final then?
Not signing Anthony Martial and Van de Beek 8 months earlier?

If the almost invisble touch on Everton was a penalty, then why was Dele Alli booked for a similar offence, and why did VAR not give a clear handball by Tom Davies sticking his elbow out? Was very clear and obvious on the replay. Also why did referee not book Davies for a huge BARGE in the back of Ndombele right in front of the ref early on.
Also why was Siggurdsson allowed to stay on the pitch after fouling Spurs player 4 times to bring him down and then did another foul soon after?

When are Spurs going accuse the FA of anti-semitism as Tottenham are getting the WORST refereeing in the entire league - it must be Spurs' Jewish connection that is behind it. They are stamping down on racism but anti-semitism is encouraged!
are you skipping your meds again?

back to the bathroom.............

what are you like!

Really enjoyed the game to be honest. Loved it....even the moments of inept Spursy-ness! A throw back to Spurs of old under Jol or Harry, perhaps even tactics Tim! Either way, I think it’s time for all of us to re-adjust our sights and expectations a little.
Yes, we’ve built this huge fuck off stadium fit for the CL/NFL but Spurs really haven’t managed to move very far in terms of accomplishments and winning. We are a top 8 team who might enjoy the odd cup run (clearly not the FA Cup 2021!). So, to last nights game:

Should’ve been 2 or 3 up before Everton scored

Everton’s defence was every bit a shaky and lacking in confidence as ours. When their goals came along though - bang bang bang - it felt almost comical. Typical

Lamela worked his bollocks off; felt Kane and Son together at the end would win us the game in normal time.

Hojberg had one to forget - poor mistake - but gets a pass due to his previous performances. Lloris also weak on several goals - signs there that all isn’t quite right with him.

Moura was shocking from the off - can’t pass, makes terrible decisions. Found out prior to KO that he is a vocal supporter of Bolsanaro too.

Subs: Winks, Sissoko, Dele - fucking hell. Been a supporter of Winksy since he broke into the team but enough is enough now. He isn’t good enough and probably won’t ever be (come in O.Skipp). Dele - jogged about a bit. Didn’t look at all like a player with a chance of redemption. Sissoko was Sissoko-like.

The defence was simply a Spurs defence. Headless chickens. Average/ageing players. Didn’t even look as if they’d been introduced.

would love to know how much of last nights approach was down to Mourinho and how much was just the players reacting to what was in front of them..

Good luck to Everton. Hope they win it. The ‘Tottenham’ of the north!

I never said what cost us, a number of things incl Poch. But stop making out JO
Waffle waffle waffle

What did cost us the CL final then?
Not signing Anthony Martial and Van de Beek 8 months earlier?
Jose is your solution , well he isn’t mine. Jose winning the Champions League with Inter and Porto is history. We are a shambles under him, although I enjoyed being an entertaining shambles last night rather than being a boring one

Jose is your solution , well he isn’t mine. Jose winning the Champions League with Inter and Porto is history. We are a shambles under him, although I enjoyed being an entertaining shambles last night rather than being a boring one
He’s not necessarily my solution and he’s not necessarily the answer.

One thing I do know is that our players haven’t passed or controlled a ball like last night over the entire new year.

If you think tactics determine basic ball control, I can’t help you out

It hurts because we now know why we cannot go full on attacking...

Good fight... but unfortunately not good enough on the night. Simple as that.

Bring on city... :levyeyes:
I'm not sure about that - Everton scored from pretty much every good chance they had, that's not going to happen every week. Surely if those two sides got presented with all the same chances again, 9 times out of 10 we'd win the game by a couple of goals wouldn't we?

Losing sucks. But it was a great game to watch. But, I am afraid that this game might convince Jose that he cannot rely on his back line and we will go back into our shell. The city game this weekend is a throw away game, I want to see what we do after that.

He’s not necessarily my solution and he’s not necessarily the answer.

One thing I do know is that our players haven’t passed or controlled a ball like last night over the entire new year.

If you think tactics determine basic ball control, I can’t help you out
Really not seeking your help, but gracious of you to offer irrespective of how unwanted it is. Perhaps someone else needs your valuable insights, hope this suggestion does not trigger a stampede.

Really not seeking your help, but gracious of you to offer irrespective of how unwanted it is. Perhaps someone else needs your valuable insights, hope this suggestion does not trigger a stampede.
It’s a witty post and quite a funny one. Sent me back into my box alright!

However, can you explain how and why the players can pass like last night, but then churn out crap v Brighton etc?

Cos basic skills don’t change due to a formation. If you can’t that’s fine too.

Just weird that you enjoyed the way we played last night, but claim the manager can’t make them play that way. He can, but what he can’t do is come on the pitch and trap a football and put easy chances away.

Back
Top Bottom