FA cup - The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester, SUN 10/01/16 = 16-00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2 semis when we lost through appalling reffing and luck; a narrow loss away at Manure; a defeat at Fulham when Dawson and Hutton went bonkers and conceded 2 penalties and a red card in the first 10 minutes....I don't see how any manager could be accused of throwing any of those. I was at 3 of them and no one in the crowd thought that.

Throwing a match is when you pick:
Vorm
Chiriches
Kaboul (capt)
Fazio
Capoue
Lamela (not the current version)
Soldado
Townsend
Paulinho

When that team went up on the Jumbotron it was obvious that Poch didn't give a shit.

I still feel sick about Portsmouth FA Cup Semi, we'd beaten them home and away in the league. It might not reflect on the team sheet but we lost focus at Wembley and then we were back on form to beat Woolwich, Chelsea and away at City in the next couple of weeks. Promise land reached and everyone had seemingly forgotten that we'd blown the best chance of an FA Cup Final in 20+ years.

Yep, the attitude from Poch last year - and this year against Woolwich in the league cup disgusts me as well - I'm not going to argue that. Although by the same type of concessions you make for the other games; that team was cruising to a victory until the last 8 minutes.

Surely the below team is good enough to win the game? An awful lot of changes, but some real quality on show.

Would be tempted to start Lamela and Dier too for Carroll and Mason.

sZtb9NU.png

Surely the below team is good enough to win the game? An awful lot of changes, but some real quality on show.

Would be tempted to start Lamela and Dier too for Carroll and Mason.

sZtb9NU.png
Too many changes! Cannot play both Mason & Bentaleb as not match fit. Maybe 1 and sub him after 60/70 mins. Not a game for Onomah. Leicester are 2nd in the league and knocked us out last year.

Too many changes! Cannot play both Mason & Bentaleb as not match fit. Maybe 1 and sub him after 60/70 mins. Not a game for Onomah. Leicester are 2nd in the league and knocked us out last year.

I thought both Mason and Bentaleb were match fit but had just fallen out of favor for other players that have been in form. I think this is the perfect line up for a cup game. Why is this not a game of Onomah? He's shown some skill and talent in Europa League, why not throw him some minutes? If things get dire, we could sub off Son for Kane, Onomah for Lamela, etc.

I really dont think Leicester is going to field their A-squad. They'll be prioritizing league games over cup games as it doesnt look like they have the depth to do both. I say this is the perfect opportunity to field a starting 11 like this - see what these lads can do and make impact subs as necessary in the second half.

I thought both Mason and Bentaleb were match fit but had just fallen out of favor for other players that have been in form. I think this is the perfect line up for a cup game. Why is this not a game of Onomah? He's shown some skill and talent in Europa League, why not throw him some minutes? If things get dire, we could sub off Son for Kane, Onomah for Lamela, etc.

I really dont think Leicester is going to field their A-squad. They'll be prioritizing league games over cup games as it doesnt look like they have the depth to do both. I say this is the perfect opportunity to field a starting 11 like this - see what these lads can do and make impact subs as necessary in the second half.
Last season we made wholesale changes to the team for cup matches and the result was defeat as they played like a bunch of strangers. This season only 3 changes for cup matches has resulted in us progressing in Europa Cup. If we want to get through Sunday, then in my opinion we should only change 4/5 players max which should include Chadli & Son and the full backs which are all pretty much part of the squad. The pressing game we play takes a lot out of the player and as neither Mason or Bentaleb has completed a match recently I do not think it wise to play both in the same area of the field. Chadli is also to play 90 mins.

Reading through the Leicester forum they seem to be uninterested in an FA Cup run as they would rather consolidate a spot in the top 4. Others think they'll beat us as 'they aren't afraid of no-ones like Ryan Mason and Son' as one of them said.

I personally think we'll beat them in both games and move above them. They haven't got the squad depth to keep up their style of play all season.

:gazza:I hope we play a strong team because the last time we won the FA cup I was 5. I still remember watching it in the pub. The atmosphere was live.

:gazza:I hope we play a strong team because the last time we won the FA cup I was 5. I still remember watching it in the pub. The atmosphere was live.

I was there. Gazza going apeshit, Pearce's free kick, the epic comeback, the even more epic hangover. Good times indeed.

Last season we made wholesale changes to the team for cup matches and the result was defeat as they played like a bunch of strangers. This season only 3 changes for cup matches has resulted in us progressing in Europa Cup. If we want to get through Sunday, then in my opinion we should only change 4/5 players max which should include Chadli & Son and the full backs which are all pretty much part of the squad. The pressing game we play takes a lot out of the player and as neither Mason or Bentaleb has completed a match recently I do not think it wise to play both in the same area of the field. Chadli is also to play 90 mins.

I agree with you that this particular starting 11 hasnt really played much with one another and that the play style we exhibit calls for the squad to be able to gel well with one another.

I guess what it comes down to is the question "do we prioritize the FA cup?" In my opinion, no. I see the FA cup as an opportunity to give some needed minutes and an opportunity for other players prove themselves. The only way we'll get some of these players to play as a cohesive team instead of a "bunch of strangers" is to play them with one another. Again, Leicester will probably not field their regular squad against as I'm sure they'll be looking to focus on staying in the top 4 in the Prem.

I don't see an issue playing both Mason and Bentaleb for a solid 70 minutes or more. They played well with one another last season, so I dont think that'll be an issue either. Rose has some decent playtime this season and Trippier didnt seem to do poorly featuring against Watford.

I think you underestimate the lads in the squad and Pochettino and company's training. I say play this 11, if things get choppy, start making impact subs early; afterall, what's the point of having squad depth if you're always going to play the same 11.

Jesus fucking christ...some of the fucking comments and opinions here....weakened teams ? Omonoah ? Fucking chadli ?

Seriously when are some of you simple cunts gonna wake up and understand the game.......THIS IS THE ONLY TROPHY WE STAND A CHANCE OF WINNING !!..Do you not fucking understand that ?

Getting 4th, qualifying for the champions league [thats if we win the qualifier].....then going out in the group stages[ which we will] is not fucking success.

Getting to wembley, hugo lifting the trophy at wembley in front of milions of people around the world, and infront of 50 thousand yids packed into one end of the stadium......thats fucking success..!!!

Some of the comments on here is exactly what is wrong with this game, and you should be fucking ashamed of yourselves.

No doubt this post will probably get about 100 disagrees, which i couldnt give a flying fuck about...but before you do....sit down and have a think, what is the game really about ?

You Sir, are a true supporter of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

It is always good to meet a fellow believer.

I would agree with justin justin if you didn't come off as such a dick.

But I think we can get a result with the backups against Leicester. They are going to rotate too and if our second string can't beat their second string we don't deserve to win the FA Cup. Our most recent semi0final was won through pretty easy matchups against Cheltenham, Watford, Stevanage and Bolton IIRC. We didn't play all our starters in the first couple rounds then either.

1. You need to understand people have different opinions to you, people that disagree shouldn't be 'ashamed of themselves' for having a different opinion

2. We have a chance this year, no one has taken this title race by the scruff of the neck, we really can fucking do this. As well as that there is also the Europa League, which is also possible. Sure, trophies is what we want. But we are not going to get anywhere in anything if we don't rotate the team. This young team we have now, none of them would be a shadow of their current selves if they were not given a chance to show it, and we would still be running around with Soldado or Ade up front because we thought they were our only options. Champions League would be HUGE, that is the big stage. Who says we will only get to the Group stages? We got to the Quarters last time. Getting top 4 would bring in a huge financial windfall for the club, meaning we can attract better players and become a better club. Then we can be in this sort of situation where we have a shot at a title more often. We have a great spine, one of the best coaches in the league and a brilliant set of young, passionate players. Why not believe that we can go for it all? By playing the same players in every match we would run out of steam, and eventually fall short on all accounts.
also getting into champions league means players will be more interested in staying here, I'm sure they would all love a cup win but i'm really not sure if 1 cup is enough to keep players like lloris long term, champions league football however maybe

Back
Top Bottom