Fan Activism for charity thread. Tottenham Versus Brighton Nov 1st pay per view.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

will you pay the PPV charge

• yes

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • no (inc streamers)

Votes: 91 82.7%

• Total voters
So for those who can't get to many games if they wanted to watch all of the PL games they would be looking at £570 , i wouldn't be opposed to PPV games if it was a reasonable and affordable price say £4.95 per game, Live football has already priced out the majority of Fans as they dont have the luxury of being able to spunk over a grand on a season ticket each season and can only get there fix from televised games, what we are suggesting now is that those less well off fans won't even be able to afford to watch games live on TV (legally) and will have to make do with the radio and MOTD?
Again its not about those who can afford it, its about collectively making a stand against the greed that is football these days, and if the PPV trial is a failure it will be discontinued, if its successful you may well get your wish in a few seasons where you can watch every game for £15, unfortunately there are some fans who cant afford that, and i'm on there side on this one.
if the PPV experiment is a sucess the next thing they will do will be caterogise the pricing structure CAT A,B C next thing you know you are paying £30X2 to watch the NLD twice a year

It’s slightly laughable that this is what has taken people to wake up. I would have thought £60+ tickets with very little atmosphere and controlled fandom would have hit home first?

ive said it before in another thread, but there are far too many comments with the content being ‘ I can afford it’. This is why our average age is about 55 for our matches.

Seriously, to those who have been watching 30/40 years, and I’m talking about the Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman etc, you talk about how much you loved going when younger; could you possibly have afforded to go if comparable prices were charged then compared to now?

we have lost what football is about. We have some time honoured tradition at spurs that it’s OK to pay the prices, as others ‘can afford it too’ Have a look at TBWAH etc, many lads over the age, of what, 25? Nah.

There are some golden oldies that hark back to the days, but do little to assist the younger gen getting involved now.

we’ve sold our soul to the global market (thanks to English passionate fans/hoolie presence), and yet we still pay obscene prices even just to watch a game on the box , even before the PPV.
One way to stop this ludicrous money was for fans to stop going to games, as that is what makes a game exciting And therefore interesting to see what happens without the fans.

Covid now gives us a chance of setting parameters of what we really want. And just because you can pay for it , does not mean you should.

have a think before you press that affirmative button
I haven't got Sky and have no intention of paying for any PPV games, even if I can afford it. I vehemently disagree with the principle of having to pay in addition to the exorbitant monthly charge for individual events. When I was married and had Sky sports, I remember the first time they put forward a PPV event, think it was a boxing match. I thought at the time that if people just refused to pay, then they wouldn't do it again, just common sense. But obviously, enough people took it up, because they continued to put stuff on PPV. I agree that Premier League prices are ridiculously high for younger people, when I first started going, standing for juniors was the equivalent of about 17.5p. We're never going to go back to that, even if they introduce safe standing.

Giving to charity is a wonderful thing in any circumstance, but stealing money from the club you support and justifying that through 'charity' is both illegal and totally thinking about yourself lol!
If you can tell me how much of my £15 is directly going to the club then enlighten me. Like many have said already, the thought process may be different if it was Spurs we were paying.

Even then tho, the club have plenty from me. There comes a point when enough is enough. They should have voted against it like Leicester in my view.

Again, like others have said, I can afford it but it's about thinking of the people that can't, especially at this time.

Although I was intending to buy, I'm now going to stream. I actually streamed the UFC this evening and it was picture perfect. I recently upgraded my broadband to Virgin Media and it's running at 200mb.

If you've got really fast broadband, streaming is a no brainer IMO.
Do not bloody buy this game even if you have the money, these basteds shouldn't get away with it

You know when the tv companies don’t want to make any money out of it that it’s not a good idea!
They were never going to make any money out of these PPV matches. Everything over their costs would go to the clubs via the PL. All they saw was the bad publicity from the £15 fee that they weren’t even getting.

Yeah i agree, its not about being able to afford this or not, it's about making a point , if this PPV bollox is successful it will become the norm! Its time to make a stand against the greed of Football in general

Totally, I think the intent of the poll though was to give the £15 to charity instead of paying for the subscription which is a good idea and a fuck you at the same time to the money men. I misread it the first time due to not having coffeed up enough this morning.

If fans of all clubs gave £15 to a charity instead of paying for the game would send a great message to the greedy money men who are ruining the game and rub some shit in their eyes as well.

No point arguing any further.

Some of you deserve what you get.

You deserve the steep ticket prices, the four new kits a season, the PPV, the price of a pint and a hamburger in the ground.
All of it, you just keep taking it in the shitter

No wonder they keep bumping up the prices

I’m struggling to form a position here. I am jacked off about missing games and rather than not seeing a game at all I would probably opt to pay - for example I paid for the European Games on Premier Sports.

My initial thought was that as a Season Ticket holder, who had paid a deposit this season, that perhaps the club might want to provide some form of % discount and if the game was less than £10 to view I might be ok with that in the circumstances.

I don’t do anything now except work (and jog) no pubs, restaurants, cinema or family days out....it’s fucking depressing. So £10 for 2 hours sport is not going to sting me too much and if it breaks up the day.....

I guess I could ignore the TV and revert to my Capital Gold Sport days and hit the radio, but I can’t tolerate radio when every add break involves Trusted PPE telling me to buy a face nappy for my Children....honestly commercial radio. It’s so bad I am missing Pat Sharp’s glory days, where they would constantly tell me about the big yellow building on Golders Green road.

On the other hand I am utterly tested by Sky TV and Comcast’s bullshit politics. I’m tired of being fucking preached at every time I turn the fucking Sky Q thing on.

It feels like the blue light illuminates to tell me what a rotten human being I am for something I have no control over. I’m an Irish citizen for a start, so have a fair idea about bias, not that it’s ever commented on. Anyway..... so giving them fuckers more money is something I don’t really want to be doing in the wider scheme of things

We have sky for family reasons but I look at the bill these days and think myself more foolish by the month for paying them anything. It was great when you could get an ITV Digital box from your mate for the football and the 15 minute free view at midnight, happier times.

Only the BBC offers less value to me now than Sky. I am old and can’t grasp why turning Doctor Who into Bubble from Ab Fab enhances the world in which I live ? ( apologies to young folks but if your a late 70’s birth like me you should recognise my reference )

So conclusion......

Most likely I would pay THFC directly £10-£15 to watch our games via their own club platforms, this would add some £ support to the club and is equal to the few pints I would have in the stadium. While we are locked out and locked down it’s just another piss take to contend with, but at least I will get something from it.

I would prefer some contribution towards the cost as a season ticket holder, but hey they gave me a discount on Cadbury’s World admissions (Tossers) so I don’t want to appear greedy....

Paying anything more to Sky is actually a no from me. They can fuck off sideways, Preachy cunts.

BT. Blah. I have that on my mobile. I don’t think I want to give them £15 either. Gary “no mask” Lineker might appear and ask me to contribute to Greta Thunderbirds Birthday card of sell me some crisps.

On a serious note, donating to charity, if you can afford it, is a very good thing, but I don’t think it’s necessarily ideal that it’s one thing or the other here.

If you care about a cause and can help, you should do so without having to make a stand against a corporations greed to justify it. That’s just how I see things. I know I am not “right” nor “wrong”

Peace to all - its a fucking shit show out there. Sorry for long post, hope it brings at least a smile, been a shit day.

Last edited:
Financial examples?

Person A has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Spurs vs X is not scheduled to be shown on either tariff

Person A pays for a ticket/travel for the Spurs game vs X, paying £100*

Person A pays £125 this week to watch Spurs vs X

Person B has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person B buys a PPV ticket for the Spurs game vs X, paying £15

Person B pays £40 this week to watch Spurs vs X

Person C has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person C donates the PPV ticket price for the Spurs game vs X to charity, donating £15

Person C pays £40 this week and is unable to watch Spurs vs X

*price estimate. figures used for simplicity. actual price +/- sums quoted
Person D is not just thinking about himself but the bigger picture.

Donates £15 to charity in protest.

Finds a stream to watch the game.

Although I was intending to buy, I'm now going to stream. I actually streamed the UFC this evening and it was picture perfect. I recently upgraded my broadband to Virgin Media and it's running at 200mb.

If you've got really fast broadband, streaming is a no brainer IMO.
I think it's more to do with the host than the broadband speed you have. I suspect your UFC stream would have been perfect at 5 mb/s. I think you only need more than that if you want a decent frame rate at 720/1080/4k. And again that will depend on whats being served up to you.

Generally the highest bit rate you'll get on a dodgy stream is 4000Kbps which is 4Mbps. So with nothing else going on on your 200Mbps connection you ought to be able to stream somewhere in the region of 50 of those streams at the same time.

As a comparison, Netflix requires about 17Kbps for their 4K transmissions. So again, according to my maths, without overhead and anything else happening on your connection, you should be able to watch 11 4K Netflix streams simultaneously on a 200 Mbps service.

But yeah, you're right, streams are generally fine, if you can find a good one.

Back
Top Bottom