Final home game of the season vs Southampton. 08 May, 1330KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs v Southampton Preview

Short preview this week as I’ve been focussing on my end of season piece.

It’s the last home game of the season and I’ve got a golden ticket. For once that’s relevant. I give pundits and the media a lot of hassle for talking constantly about passion, belief, leadership, etc. and ignoring the tactical aspects of the game but I will side with them on this occasion. Monday’s game, the result and the antics, was a huge blow to the club – players, staff and fans – and a morale lift is vital to seeing out the season well and securing second place.
Across all the official, and even some unofficial, channels Tottenham have been very overt in trying to push the big occasion. Reminding us of the incredible season that we’ve had and even encouraging us to bring flags. The White Hart Lane atmosphere this season has been fantastic. I get emotional every time I think of the 15 minute rendition of Park Lane/Shelf Side at the Fiorentina game or singing the team off the pitch after being demolished by Dortmund.

Despite knocks to Rose and Alderweireld, Bentaleb is our only injury. Dembele and Alli are our two suspensions so Mason will take that the spot alongside Dier and Son, or maybe Chadli will play off of Kane and onto the left.
Southampton could be tempted to switch to the 3/5 at the back system they’ve used at times this season as we’ve struggled against teams playing this shape but I think it was reliant on Pelle who has mysteriously vanished from the first team without suspension, injury or lack of form.

screen-shot-2016-05-06-at-17-02-56.png

Even when not in their alternate shape their play this season has been very reliant on crosses into Pelle which made very frustrating viewing when cheering them on against Leicester a few weeks ago.

Without Pelle their main route to goal is by utilising the pace and endless running of Long and Mane. Aside from pressing so well that they fail to get the ball forward our best defence against Long and Mane running on to balls over our high-line defence is Lloris sweeping. While Lloris’ sweeping can be dangerous it’s also really exciting and moments like Lloris winning the ball outside his box are the ones that can get the crowd going and give the team that much needed boost.

Come On You Spurs!

If the FA/SKY whoever wanna paint us as the BAD GUY VILLAINS this season that's fine by me...
Let's play to type and go on a work to rule...

I wanna hear at least ONE rousing sinister old school chorus of "WE ARE EEEEEEVIL" on Sunday to really send the chills up the opposition and the rest of the Premier league!

fuck 'em all!!!!

So Merson, Lawro, Redknapp and co. have all predicted a draw.

Let's fucking win this one and finish the season in style. I don't think I can handle it going down to the wire on the last day with Townsend roaming about on that right flank.

If the players are not up for this game, then they seriously need to think about an alternative career!
This will really be a test of our mettle and every last person connected with this club should be chomping at the bit to get the result we need.
I want to get the bad taste out of my mouth, following the last game (I'm still fuming and been in the worst mood this week). Hate to admit it, but very nervous about this, don't think I or my nearest and dearest can cope with another week of me moaning and sulking and generally having a long face that Red Rum would be proud of.

2nd place is in our hands. We need 3 points from our 2 games, maybe not even that if City beat Woolwich tomorrow as well. Southampton are a good team, but the players will be wanting to send us home with a big thank you from them, a win and a smile.

Dembele will be a miss, but Mason is more than capable of fitting in. He's Spurs through and through, wears his heart on his sleeve and wil put his body on the line. The players know what it means to the club, themselves and more importantly the fans to finish above Woolwich and gain the highest finish we've ever had.

Lloris
Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier - Mason
Son - Eriksen - Lamela
Kane
3-0

Kane x2
Lamela

Spurs v Southampton Preview

Short preview this week as I’ve been focussing on my end of season piece.

It’s the last home game of the season and I’ve got a golden ticket. For once that’s relevant. I give pundits and the media a lot of hassle for talking constantly about passion, belief, leadership, etc. and ignoring the tactical aspects of the game but I will side with them on this occasion. Monday’s game, the result and the antics, was a huge blow to the club – players, staff and fans – and a morale lift is vital to seeing out the season well and securing second place.
Across all the official, and even some unofficial, channels Tottenham have been very overt in trying to push the big occasion. Reminding us of the incredible season that we’ve had and even encouraging us to bring flags. The White Hart Lane atmosphere this season has been fantastic. I get emotional every time I think of the 15 minute rendition of Park Lane/Shelf Side at the Fiorentina game or singing the team off the pitch after being demolished by Dortmund.

Despite knocks to Rose and Alderweireld, Bentaleb is our only injury. Dembele and Alli are our two suspensions so Mason will take that the spot alongside Dier and Son, or maybe Chadli will play off of Kane and onto the left.
Southampton could be tempted to switch to the 3/5 at the back system they’ve used at times this season as we’ve struggled against teams playing this shape but I think it was reliant on Pelle who has mysteriously vanished from the first team without suspension, injury or lack of form.

screen-shot-2016-05-06-at-17-02-56.png

Even when not in their alternate shape their play this season has been very reliant on crosses into Pelle which made very frustrating viewing when cheering them on against Leicester a few weeks ago.

Without Pelle their main route to goal is by utilising the pace and endless running of Long and Mane. Aside from pressing so well that they fail to get the ball forward our best defence against Long and Mane running on to balls over our high-line defence is Lloris sweeping. While Lloris’ sweeping can be dangerous it’s also really exciting and moments like Lloris winning the ball outside his box are the ones that can get the crowd going and give the team that much needed boost.

Come On You Spurs!
Could we be interested in Pelle?

Could we be interested in Pelle?

That's actually an interesting shout. Nearly all the forwards we've been linked with over the last year are the small, fast, winger types and I really feel that we are quite reliant on Kane's hold up play and our back-up needs to be similar. Pelle's good with his head but his all round game isn't that great. We'd also have a hard time getting him off Southampton.

I think we may see more of a defensive 3 today. Southampton's main threat today will be through Long's and Mane's running. They both have incredible pace and will be looking to get in behind. I can see Dier dropping in more, so we can counter their pace, giving Walker and Rose room to go forward and put pressure on their fullbacks.

Kane will need to be at his best, as Van Dijk is a very good defender. If he can keep him busy it should give Eriksen, Lamela and Son the chance to get at Fonte and work at his lack of pace.

Back
Top Bottom