Football Weekly

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Rooney gash quip by Jimbo

tumblr_m6y2gy4sdv1rsboo6o1_500.gif

Interestingly, they had a fellow from benefoot.net on this week explaining, from what I could gather, that Belgium's current standing isn't the result of systematic changes in the way Belgians approach football, but, rather, just a lucky golden generation that emerged at the same time. I can imagine the angry letters @ Belgian Spur Belgian Spur is writing at this moment.

Interestingly, they had a fellow from benefoot.net on this week explaining, from what I could gather, that Belgium's current standing isn't the result of systematic changes in the way Belgians approach football, but, rather, just a lucky golden generation that emerged at the same time. I can imagine the angry letters @ Belgian Spur Belgian Spur is writing at this moment.

I heard that - AC Jimbo trying desperately during the international break to scramble something of interest together and just being rebuffed with a, "No, just a bit of luck, really," kind of approach. International breaks on FW may as well have a tumbleweed sound on loop - it's quite clear that none of the podcasters really care about it - I'm of the same mind, but find myself downloading it and listening to it all the same.

Interesting to hear about the Belgian system having nothing to do with this crop of players, though, who seem to have come through mainly foreign academies.

Lol Lukaku, Fellaini, Witsel Benteke, Courtois, Mignolet, De Bruyne, Kompany and so on have all come trough the ranks of our own clubs who have drastically changed their youth training set ups and scouting systems , i m betting this guy was Dutch wasnt he. Anderlecht, Standard and Genk produce loads of good youngsters atm and above all give them time in the first teams at young age.

Some players do come from foreign teams , Hazard and Vertonghen for instance but the bulk learned their trade in Belgium and we are getting another wave of youngsters this season. The problem is that big teams now plunder the Belgian teams, city and man u have about ten talented belgians aged 14 and up, due to the fact that law prevents under 16 players to earn money over here.

@ Éperons Éperons

i m betting this guy was Dutch wasnt he. Anderlecht, Standard and Genk produce loads of good youngsters atm and above all give them time in the first teams at young age.

Some players do come from foreign teams , Hazard and Vertonghen for instance but the bulk learned their trade in Belgium and we are getting another wave of youngsters this season. The problem is that big teams now plunder the Belgian teams, city and man u have about ten talented belgians aged 14 and up, due to the fact that law prevents under 16 players to earn money over here.
I guess he's Dutch… Michiel Jongsma is their Dutch football editor, and he was the one on the phone. But yes, he was saying that the reason the Belgians are so good is because they all left for foreign teams at a young age. That doesn't sound terribly likely, since they left to go to good clubs, which means they were promising players already. That's why I don't buy the sort of "things are clicking and we shouldn't expect this to be the beginning of persistent quality from the Belgian side" argument.

That said, Jongsma did add that the Dutch are admitting that the Belgians are a better side now, and it's an odd place for them to be.

The message I got from it was the most important thing they did was to promote through the age groups very quickly. He made the argument that they could have won an Under 18 or Under 21 pot if they'd played everyone in the correct age group, but that wasn't important to them.

I agree on the fact that most left early at the age of 18 - 19 but almost all of them had played senior level in the Belgian league and went trough the youth ranks of Belgian teams, the next upcoming generation however will not be the same as most of them are abroad, this so called golden generation stayed and developed at home except. It surprises me how little these experts actually know about the stuff they are supposed to be experts about. Our main men are Kompany, Hazard Courtois and De Bruyne and only one of those went never played senior level domestically.

The author of the espn article seems to forget, conveniently, that both Genk and Anderlecht have impressive youth set ups and are producing top quality from a very young age on. We only lack the money to keep em in Belgium once they start performing on a senior level.

There is always a factor of coincidence but having witnessed the thorough changes in the youth setup the last ten years i know (not believe) that you can produce correct quality as the espn guy says, golden generations however are combination of luck and investment, i agree on that point. The french,German,Spanish and Dutch have shown this.

Last edited:
The message I got from it was the most important thing they did was to promote through the age groups very quickly. He made the argument that they could have won an Under 18 or Under 21 pot if they'd played everyone in the correct age group, but that wasn't important to them.
Thats the main change, untill the generation of Kompany our football was plagued by coaches that looked for wins at a young age and at senior level 22 year olds were concidered the right age to start senior football.

We had a big change about 12 years back when our youth coaches went to Holland and France adopting their system and its paying off.

They really do go in on Theo Walcott! Fucking hell, 4:36 in. they call him one of the most brainless footballers to have ever existed! :harrylol:

Just wanted to introduce you to Jeroen Verhoeven, currently shotstopping at FC Utrecht.

animaatjes-jeroen-verhoeven-28828.jpg

He played for; Ajax, RKC and Volendam.

Back
Top Bottom