Fulham @ Wembley 18/08.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was interviewed by some guy from the BBC for their instagram site. Don't think I'll make the cut as he wanted me to be critical of the club and the situation with the stadium. I just said it is what it is and used Joe Clash Joe Clash quote "we support the team not the stadium ".
Anyway, with regards to the game, thought Lucas just edged MOTM from Tripps, albeit I thought he started a bit sluggishly. But once he scored, his confidence soared and he was superb. I hate to admit it, but some of Toby's long passes were Hoddlesque. Although I wanted him gone because I thought he was a disruptive influence, he and Jan looked pretty good as a defensive pair.
I was shouting at Christian to let Tripps take the free kick - what a beauty. And the icing on the cake......H scoring in August. A good performance against a pretty average side, very happy to have 6 points out of 6. All in all, with Woolwich and the Spammers with no points, not a bad Saturday. COYS

I was interviewed by some guy from the BBC for their instagram site. Don't think I'll make the cut as he wanted me to be critical of the club and the situation with the stadium. I just said it is what it is and used Joe Clash Joe Clash quote "we support the team not the stadium ".
Anyway, with regards to the game, thought Lucas just edged MOTM from Tripps, albeit I thought he started a bit sluggishly. But once he scored, his confidence soared and he was superb. I hate to admit it, but some of Toby's long passes were Hoddlesque. Although I wanted him gone because I thought he was a disruptive influence, he and Jan looked pretty good as a defensive pair.
I was shouting at Christian to let Tripps take the free kick - what a beauty. And the icing on the cake......H scoring in August. A good performance against a pretty average side, very happy to have 6 points out of 6. All in all, with Woolwich and the Spammers with no points, not a bad Saturday. COYS

Well done Mrs P, let them stick their agendas.

My thoughts

1. Lucas MOTM. He was a fucking bundle of lightning all match. All over the field.
2. Has Tripps replaced Eriksen on directs? That was superb. The dip on the ball after the wall was magic.
3. Good to see Toby on the pitch. He played solid as usual.
4. Fulham is terrible, poor Andre Schullere.
5. Lamelas run before the Kane goal was eye popping.
6. Tripps has got the first touch cross down to an art form
7. Harry was not much of a scoring threat most of the game, but his passing was top shelf. Two defenders were collapsing on him as soon as he touched the ball, and he’s not quite got the speed and foot skill to beat both. However.... give him some space, and he’s an assassin Really turned it on late.
8. If this team could capitalize on all the chances they create, there would be quite a collection of silverware in the cabinet.

Oh don't flatter yourself, you aren't even remotely interesting. I get a notification - like you do, when someone replies.
I had a great day, SUPPORTING Spurs.
You should try it.....

I don't get a notification when people post in threads. Because, you know, if I'm not on here, I don't spend time fretting about people that are. You should try it.

What a win, so many positives. We need to be more clinical because it really could have been 3-0 with in the first 20 minutes but I have faith that we will improve as the season goes on.

Moura is looking fantastic, it was so refereshing to see Poch put out such an attacking side. Kane scoring in August aswell, surely got his eyes on reclaiming his golden boot this year. So fucked off that he hit the bar with that chance from Dier though, think he deserved that one he took it very cleanly.

Most exciting thing to me though is our defence if Toby stays the full season. Him and Jan are fucking amazing together, they are so aggressive and both have brilliant passing range. I actually can’t decide if we are better in a back 3 or 4 but it’s good to have options.

COYS!

With teams such as Fulham, whom Spurs are miles ahead, and team that sit back in a defensive posture, I like the back 4, with the two wings pushing forward.
Against tougher foes I like the back 3

Today proved once again how important Toby is to this team. He may have thrown his toys out of the pram last season but if we can keep him for another year or even get him to sign an extension, it could be crucial in us having a good season.

Sanchez is good and could soon be great but Toby offers us so much. He has a great understanding with Verts and they are the best partnership in the league. When playing against smaller teams who sit back like Fulham, Toby offers that option of stepping into the midfield and picking out good passed to bypass the opposition midfield. We also cannot go a whole season with just two top class centrebacks - especially when we will play a back three at times.

Having not signed anyone in the window, it is now imperative we keep Toby. Losing him at this stage - and with no quality replacement - will prove to be costly. Dembele also showed how important he was today. We need both to stay.

At the game today, a bit nervy in the first half as fulham parked the bus and looked good on the break,our quality shone through through.

Some thoughts:

*If Dembele can play that cameo role consistantly, I think he will go a long way towards creating the depth we need. You could see the whole team visibly perk up when he came on.

*Was great to see Toby - but I think we should save that back 3 system for the Liverpools and Citys of this world - way too conservative for a team like Fulham.

*We're picking up points despite being in 2nd gear - bodes well for the season COYS!!

Don’t think Fulham will go down.
They played some decent stuff. Nice quick one touch pass and move stuff Defended quite well for the most part too.
They aren’t as dire as Cardiff.
We weren’t at our best though, but they still have some decent players imo and can play.

Over 58,000 is not a bad attendance given the circumstances.
I think the problem is, with the ground having a capacity of 90,000, 58,000 looks quite sparse. Also, I think the club missed a trick by not slashing the prices for this game, as that may have made a difference. I think that people who boycotted this game because they didn't want to go to Wembley, missed out on a good game. I get the disappointment but why cut your nose to spite your face? Only my opinion, but this is the time we need to get behind the team and put aside our frustrations with off-the-pitch issues. Once the game starts, I don't care whether we're playing at Wembley, the NWHL or Hackney Marshes, I just want us to win the game.

Can we read much into Toby starting AND staying on (when big Dav got subbed) and Rose not playing?
I think it just shows that Poch will put his strongest team out based on players he has at his disposal.
He can't play Toby once He leaves... so while he's here, he may as well play.

Rose on the bench was also probably tactical, as he seems to be easing the WC players back on steadily.

No point playing all 11... leaving Rose and Dembele on the bench was as much about fitness, and being match ready, as having some agenda...
As it seems he pointed out in no uncertain terms in his rather terse post match Press Quotes... which the BBC seem to be creaming themselves about spinning as negatively as possible!
:pochunimpressed:

Always with good sense. I’m jealous :klinsmann::dierpochhug:

Makes a change to have a thread where most (trolls will troll) of the posters are positive and making constructive comments rather than just moaning ...

My take on the game was that despite still looking a bit 'pre-season' in terms of sharpness (Tripps crossing?) it was a definite step up from last week ... Fulham are not a great side and they've had very little time as a squad ... that said you must beat the team in front of you and we did that well ...

Poch showed once again that he's 'the man' ... with his selection of Toby ... his tactical switch at half time ... and his post match 'happy but not happy' it was a good day for the boss ...

and a good day for the site as well .....

Finally got a chance to watch the match. Fuck ya COYS.

And West Ham losing.

And Woolwich losing.

And Woolwich and Chelsea defense looking proper shit.

:dierno:

Back
Top Bottom