Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You just know Levy is watching this match tonight, loving the absolute horseshit performance whilst being fully erect over Southgate.

Fully expecting the clueless bald cunt to make him our new manager.

Nice bloke. Did well to get the players actually wanting to play with and for each other. But is tactically inept, and his subs are often bewildering.

All in all we should thank him for doing a decent job but move him on. He's a Championship level manager that is clearly holding back some wonderful attacking players.

Nice bloke. Did well to get the players actually wanting to play with and for each other. But is tactically inept, and his subs are often bewildering.

All in all we should thank him for doing a decent job but move him on. He's a Championship level manager that is clearly holding back some wonderful attacking players.
If he can see us through the World Cup in 2022 his timing to manage us in the championship will be pretty good. Few months off to recharge his batteries , hide from the irate English public and the plastic surgery to settle down he will be good to go. I think he could even get us into the play offs if we keep Harry and Son

Southgate came in after the media did a 'sting' on Big Sam. They thought Southgate was weak and they could manipulate him easier than Sam (also Sam hates Woolwich). But at the beginning Southgate picked his own players and England had nearly 7 in the team and the media hated it.

But the FA undermined England by putting in anti-Spurs man Steve Holland from Chelsea which Daniel Levy objected to as a conflict of interest. The FA ignored that and now Southgate has become this weed the media wanted, picking the players they want, only from top teams with the odd exception, and not picking players on form as he did before.

Southgate is making stupid substitutions and playing ultra negative which is killing England. He then throws his star man Harry Kane to the wolves by subbing him (twice) just when he might become more effective, when opponents are tired and nervous late in the game.

He's fallen for the hype of Mason Mount who has yet to do anything of any note and I predict he will lose to the Czechs if he plays the same as before.

The media will try their best to get the last Tottenham player out of England, the same man who got the Golden Boot and Golden Assist while the press picked DeBryne for his under-par season instead of England's captain.

Southgate came in after the media did a 'sting' on Big Sam. They thought Southgate was weak and they could manipulate him easier than Sam (also Sam hates Woolwich). But at the beginning Southgate picked his own players and England had nearly 7 in the team and the media hated it.

But the FA undermined England by putting in anti-Spurs man Steve Holland from Chelsea which Daniel Levy objected to as a conflict of interest. The FA ignored that and now Southgate has become this weed the media wanted, picking the players they want, only from top teams with the odd exception, and not picking players on form as he did before.

Southgate is making stupid substitutions and playing ultra negative which is killing England. He then throws his star man Harry Kane to the wolves by subbing him (twice) just when he might become more effective, when opponents are tired and nervous late in the game.

He's fallen for the hype of Mason Mount who has yet to do anything of any note and I predict he will lose to the Czechs if he plays the same as before.

The media will try their best to get the last Tottenham player out of England, the same man who got the Golden Boot and Golden Assist while the press picked DeBryne for his under-par season instead of England's captain.
And danny murphy was almost touching himself over mounts performance against scotland. Honestly dont know whats thats about.

Have you watched anything of Chelsea this season? There's no question he's been one of their best players, if not the best. Certainly one of the most consistent performers for them. To say Southgate has fallen for the hype is ridiculous. Any manager would love to have Mount in their squad. He's not been at his best this tournament so far but he's been nowhere near as bad as some others.

Last edited:
We'll beat the Czech's, and possibly give our most positive performance of the three group games. As always some people are going way over the top with the Scotland game, as dissapointing as it was.

We've got four points from two quite difficult games without playing anything like as well as we can, without our best player turning up yet and without anyone really standing out. There's so much more to come from the likes of Foden, Mount, Grealish, Kane and hopefully Sancho. We need it to click soon but if it does I think one or two might end up regretting some of the stuff they've said in the last couple of days. Southgate isn't the right man for the job but we still have enough talent on the pitch to make some noise - If our players play to close to their max level.

As annoying as Southgate's tactics are, and regardless of what you made of his line up, we still had an 11 out against Scotland that should beat them if we show up. So the players have to take responsibility for their own performances too.

Last edited:
In the 1990 World Cup we also started badly with two draws but Bobby Robson worked with the squad and changed formation to produce a team which could have won it. He went from flat back four to play a three with wing backs. It gave Gasgoine space to express himself and in the semi against Germany we were really unlucky among several chances I remember Waddle hitting the woodwork with a thunderbolt. So has Southgate got the tactical know how and bottle to fashion a great team from our great players? I doubt it. We are doomed to lose at the first knockout stage imo

Have you watched anything of Chelsea this season? There's no question he's been one of their best players, if not the best. Certainly one of the most consistent performers for them. To say Southgate has fallen for the hype is ridiculous. Any manager would love to have Mount in their squad. He's not been at his best this tournament so far but he's been nowhere near as bad as some others.
I think he meant for england. He has played well for chelsea

I think he meant for england. He has played well for chelsea

I don't think he's been bad for England either. Probably not hit the levels yet that he does for Chelsea, but generally he plays well enough without really shining. It's important we remember that the likes of Foden and Mount both play for clubs that play far differently to England under Southgate, so we perhaps shouldn't expect them to hit the same heights consistently.

In the 1990 World Cup we also started badly with two draws but Bobby Robson worked with the squad and changed formation to produce a team which could have won it. He went from flat back four to play a three with wing backs. It gave Gasgoine space to express himself and in the semi against Germany we were really unlucky among several chances I remember Waddle hitting the woodwork with a thunderbolt. So has Southgate got the tactical know how and bottle to fashion a great team from our great players? I doubt it. We are doomed to lose at the first knockout stage imo

You can definitely grow into a tournament, and you don't win it in the group stages - he is going to need to get Kane into scoring positions and with decent service though. The team has so few goals in it without Kane firing.

Tactically inept: beaten Croatia (world cup finalists), draw with Scotland (always tricky like derbies tend to be), beaten Czech Republic, beaten Germany (world cup winners etc etc).
I think tactically inept is lazy thinking: it may not be all guns blazing like we would love to see but I genuinely haven't, at any point, thought that we would lose....not through my blind love of England (which I don't have) but through watching the calmness and composure of the team.

The old English way of going gung ho against the Germans and losing 3 nil is pretty dead and buried. I see it as a bit like poch in champions League. Every year we got further because he was having to play a different way in the CL than the premier League. He refined it every year until we became defensively solid, calm in possession and we took our chances to score...much like England yesterday.

So....he isn't tactically inept but may not always choose the players or system we want. It isn't pretty to watch but gives confidence and brings results. Look how Germany destroyed Portugal and then think about last night's game.

Back
Top Bottom