Gedson Fernandes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not played since 30th October and so how long before ready to start? Think he will be challenging Lo Celso, Moura and Lamela for a place rather than playing instead of Winks. The thing is with injuries we need more players capable of performing and to allow more rest for other players. Players playing twice a week either pick up injuries or become stale and having poor matches. We need more options and I hope he provides it.

I assume the Sissoko comparisons are because he's played CM and on the wing. Nothing like him though in the sense of style.

Strengths are probably his dribbling. He works hard and doesn't mind putting in a tackle. Passing isn't his strongest point in that he isn't as creative as Ndombele but he's alot better and more consistent in that sense than Sissoko.

Id pair him with Ndombele and GLC in a midfield three. I wouldnt pair him in a two with anyone but Ndombele though. I think double pivot could work brilliantly with those two.

I don't think we'd see him as a 6/8 hybrid nor would I want to see him as a DM.

Thanks for that. Appreciated

If he doesn't mind a tackle I assume he'd be played beside Ndombele to provide a bit of 'grit'

Given Ndombele's current recurrent injuries, I'd guess it would be safe to assume Ndombele might not play every game. And I think Lo Celso is needed as an AM (both for numbers and creativity) unless Mourhino switches from a 2 man midfield to a 3 man (albeit the likes of Eriksen, Dele etc do seem to have been instructed to re-inforce CM sometimes).

Would you see Gedson being paired with Winks sometimes - Winks can pass well if relieved of a dm role so that pairing might have complimentary skillls.

Mourhino obviously likes Dier, although he doesn't seem fit enough yet. If Mourhino wants to get Dier fit with extra game time sometimes, any reason not to pair him with Gerson.

And if Mourhino wants to develop Skipp, would he work with Gerson ? Skipp has decent passing skills to compliment his defensive skills.

A fan of the club said “well if he didn’t cost a fortune, he’s shit. Soldado was better as at least he cost hard cash”.
Ha ha ha...fancy a so called Spurs fan saying such a thing.

tenor.gif

No doubt you'll post the quote. Ha ha ha.

I'm curious as to how many games the lad has played for Benfica, seems to be a lot of discrepancy. English Wiki says 23 (0 goals), German and Chinese Wiki say 29 (0), Portuguese and French Wiki say 46 (3), Russian Wiki says 57 (2) and Spanish Wiki says 59 (3).

Worth bearing in mind for those seeking to out-stat others.

The official Benfica site has him on 18 games, 0 goals and 1 assist for this season, so the English Wiki stat looks low...

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how many games the lad has played for Benfica, seems to be a lot of discrepancy. English Wiki say 23 (0 goals), German and Chinese Wiki say 29 (0), Portuguese and French Wiki say 46 (3), Russian Wiki says 57 (2) and Spanish Wiki says 59 (3).

Worth bearing in mind for those seeking to out-stat others.

The official Benfica site has him on 18 games, 0 goals and 1 assist for this season, so the English Wiki stat looks low...

Check football manager

From what I can tell he isn't technically very good, has soundness ball carrying skills and seems to have strong upper body strength.

Successful team so have always had a blend of different players running through them and if we can get Gedson & Ndombele doing their thing with Winks as anchor in midfield until we figure out a strong long term option I think it's well worth a punt at such a cheap 18 month deal. £3.5m and plugs a massive gap that's occurred through injuries and stop/ start performances. I think this is a reallly smart move as we look at other areas of the squad that need some TLC in the transfer windows moving forward.

If he blossoms we could have some player on our hands, if he doesn't well he only makes the squad stronger as we face a time where our midfield is arguably the most frail it's been since the first days of Poch. I'm all for it, even if it's not a hugely glamourous name face value.

From what I can tell he isn't technically very good, has soundness ball carrying skills and seems to have strong upper body strength.

Successful team so have always had a blend of different players running through them and if we can get Gedson & Ndombele doing their thing with Winks as anchor in midfield until we figure out a strong long term option I think it's well worth a punt at such a cheap 18 month deal. £3.5m and plugs a massive gap that's occurred through injuries and stop/ start performances. I think this is a reallly smart move as we look at other areas of the squad that need some TLC in the transfer windows moving forward.

If he blossoms we could have some player on our hands, if he doesn't well he only makes the squad stronger as we face a time where our midfield is arguably the most frail it's been since the first days of Poch. I'm all for it, even if it's not a hugely glamourous name face value.

If he blossoms he costs 50 million euros which is a fucking ridiculous amount for a kid that doesn't get in Benfica side very often.

If he blossoms he costs 50 million euros which is a fucking ridiculous amount for a kid that doesn't get in Benfica side very often.

With inflation in football these days, if he blossoms 50m Euros won't be too bad with all things considered. Mourinho will have budgets every summer no doubt so ultimately it's down to Gedson to prove we simp,y cannot do without him by then. Davinson didn't cost too far off of that amount and he's still not absolutely cemented his place in the team so for £3.5m initially on a year and half loan, for me it's a top deal as it stands as we really don't seem financially exposed on this one at present. Let's see how the kid does and it it was him stagnating or a new change in scenery that was required.

With inflation in football these days, if he blossoms 50m Euros won't be too bad with all things considered. Mourinho will have budgets every summer no doubt so ultimately it's down to Gedson to prove we simp,y cannot do without him by then. Davinson didn't cost too far off of that amount and he's still not absolutely cemented his place in the team so for £3.5m initially on a year and half loan, for me it's a top deal as it stands as we really don't seem financially exposed on this one at present. Let's see how the kid does and it it was him stagnating or a new change in scenery that was required.

The low loan fee seems odd if they rate him at 50 million Euros, this is a strange strange deal if you ask me and I think the most likely outcome is he becomes a bang average stop gap which is still z very decent deal for the cheap loan fee.

Back
Top Bottom