Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jose about Lo Celso (it never ends):

"Gio is not ready but it's nothing to do with his previous important injury, from which he's totally recovered. But with his accumulation of work he's got a bit of back pain so he's had to stop what he's doing. So not for this match."

"Gio is not ready but it's nothing to do with his previous important injury, from which he's totally recovered. But with his accumulation of work he's got a bit of back pain so he's had to stop what he's doing. So not for this match."
Fucking hell, is this the second coming of Lamela, that is shit news.

What the hell is going on with this guy?

I don't doubt his dedication or work ethic to get back, but is something off with his body or just a regular sort of set back after being out for a lengthy period?

I thought he'd play a big role for us down the home stretch of the season but it's looking like he may just not be fit until next season.

What the hell is going on with this guy?

I don't doubt his dedication or work ethic to get back, but is something off with his body or just a regular sort of set back after being out for a lengthy period?

I thought he'd play a big role for us down the home stretch of the season but it's looking like he may just not be fit until next season.

If he's not back playing in the next week or two, its going to be a case of a case of 'god knows when he's going to be back' .........and how much playing time he can actually do in a match.

He rarely played more than 45 minutes in the first half before injury - and not that many 90 minutes last season, which I put down to it being his first season.

But the amount of injury time/inability to complete 90 minutes is becoming a serious concern.

I really hope this isn’t a case of Lamela mark 2!

21 games missed now due to this particular injury.

That's rough figures. For reference Lamela's first major injury (his back in 2013-14) saw him miss 22.

Gio Lo Celso statistics

19/20 - PL Only : Injured in 6 matches, out of other 32 matches : Started 15 matches subbed on 13, on bench 4, Total playing time 1488 minutes which as an average over 32 matches fit is ave 46 mins/match........ or looking at it the other way he played 16 x 90 minute match equivalents last season

20/21 - PL only : Injured for 16 matches, Started 4, subbed on in 7. Total Minutes played 438 minutes or average 39 mins per match played .... or looking at it the other way completed just less than 5 x 90 minute match equivalents.

So with 11 matches to go there we will be lucky if by end of this season if he has completed more than say 40% of PL playing time over last 2 seasons - certainly less than 50% of the matches over the 2 seasons he's been at Spurs.

FFS.
So he injured himself. While returning from injury. Before returning.

At least Lamela managed to get back to field before being sidelined again :D :D

But on more serious note it is a huge worry.

I see no point of listing number of games he has started / participated in EPL for example. Issue is that the period where he has been able to complete back-to-back games (80+ minutes) has been roughly 2,5 months! That is very-very alarming.

And he ain't gonna be back on Sunday. He has not played football for 85 days. He will not be thrown in as a return to intense NLD.

I hope that with a good preseason he will imlrove his condition. Missing it for two summers in a row is not a good way to adapt to the demands of England.

Last summer he got the same time off in pre-season as everybody else - or have I missed something ?

(NB I am aware he missed pre-season with injuries so didn't play..... but that runs back into his perpetual injuries in 19/20)

Last edited:
Last summer he got the same time off in pre-season as everybody else - or have I missed something ?

(NB I am aware he missed pre-season with injuries so didn't play..... but that runs back into his perpetual injuries in 19/20)

He signed too late to have preseason in 2019 and missed the last one through injury. It always has a serious effect on a players physical condition when that happens. His body just hasn’t had the proper physical preparation to endure day after day of training and playing at this level. He‘s a player who puts himself about so that makes it even more important.

Back
Top Bottom