Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's an Italian journalist, isn't he? How has become the font of all knowledge on this?
I'd be very surprised if Levy hadn't put something in there to enable us to get out of the deal even if we get into Europe.
This was reported by everyone at the time, read alistair gold’s tweets, sky sports etc. It was public knowledge it’s just everyone has forgotten or never understood properly, they just saw the word “loan” and assume it’s temporary.

Go back and have a look if you want mate, it’s all there just can’t be bothered to find it all.

This was the levy deal to stop from having to pay the full buyout... The loan meant less sell on for PSG. It seems to me that we wanted to buy him not loan him and this is the way levy did it cheaper. I doubt we can easily walk away as betis are not rich and would find it hard to swallow that loss.. He's good but not that good.

So this guy is legit then? I've never heard of him so had to do a quick Google. I don't do Twatter so only saw the online news reports which mostly said it was an option to buy as also stated on the official website.
I'd just be surprised at Levy putting himself in the position of still having to pay £50m+ if Lo Celso doesn't like it in London, adapt well enough to English football, gets a long term injury, etc. And I don't think he'd be that bothered by Betis swallowing any loss as they'd get their player back. He was quite happy to prevent PSG getting their percentage and he's our chairman so I'd expect him to put our club first.

So this guy is legit then? I've never heard of him so had to do a quick Google. I don't do Twatter so only saw the online news reports which mostly said it was an option to buy as also stated on the official website.
I'd just be surprised at Levy putting himself in the position of still having to pay £50m+ if Lo Celso doesn't like it in London, adapt well enough to English football, gets a long term injury, etc. And I don't think he'd be that bothered by Betis swallowing any loss as they'd get their player back. He was quite happy to prevent PSG getting their percentage and he's our chairman so I'd expect him to put our club first.
Again from all I read we wanted to buy him and they would only sell him for the buyout, this way betis get the same amount of cash and we spend less, so win win.

All those risks are included with any purchase which this effectively is. I would be shocked if it turns out we have a way out if we qualify for Europe.

Believe what you want mate, but it’s what was reported at the time by multiple respectable outlets. It’s not just that one twitter account.

Betis aren’t stupid they would not have agreed to loan him with out being sure of a permanent deal.

Nobody expected us to be struggling to get top 6 this season so it seemed like a safe bet for them at the time.

I’ve posted this numerous times since the summer and nobody seems to cotton on still lol

This is NOT a loan we can walk away from unless we finish outside the top 6.

With respect that deal as stated is illegal in the EPL.
3rd party ownership (ie the other 20%) is not allowed.
I believe the Dybala deal stalled on 3rd party ownership.

The 20% is a sell on clause (if we sell they get 20%). Just a foreign turn of phrase

, it's in loads of contracts in the epl.

How come is it so hard for Argentinian to learn English ?
I'm not gonna speak as if I know the Argentinian educational system, but maybe they do not start with English studies until well into their teens, by which a lot of the guys looking to go pro may or may not have dropped out of school to focus on football.

The later in life you pick up a language you will struggle more with getting the hang of it early on.

That he has plenty of Spanish speakers around him that will be looking after him (Erik, Paulo, Juan etc) also negates a lot of the need to pick up the language quickly.

But that is me speculating of course.

Believe what you want mate, but it’s what was reported at the time by multiple respectable outlets. It’s not just that one twitter account.

Betis aren’t stupid they would not have agreed to loan him with out being sure of a permanent deal.

Nobody expected us to be struggling to get top 6 this season so it seemed like a safe bet for them at the time.

Alright mate, calm down! It's not an attack on you or anyone, I'm just having a discussion and putting my view across.
I don't really care whether it's an option or an obligation, I was just stating why I think it would be odd for Levy to have not protected the club if things don't work out for any reason.

I understand that the obligation was widely reported at the time, but many so-called respectable media outlets also reported it as an option so it's understandable that there's some confusion around it.

Yes. The EPL will not allow 3rd parties to control image rights of players. The contract between the clubs and the EPL means that if the EPL wanted to put Dybala's face on something, then they pay shit. No 3rd party is allow to have any claim over an image used by the governing body.

Alright mate, calm down! It's not an attack on you or anyone, I'm just having a discussion and putting my view across.
I don't really care whether it's an option or an obligation, I was just stating why I think it would be odd for Levy to have not protected the club if things don't work out for any reason.

I understand that the obligation was widely reported at the time, but many so-called respectable media outlets also reported it as an option so it's understandable that there's some confusion around it.
I’m calm, not sure what part of my post offended you.

Yes. The EPL will not allow 3rd parties to control image rights of players. The contract between the clubs and the EPL means that if the EPL wanted to put Dybala's face on something, then they pay shit. No 3rd party is allow to have any claim over an image used by the governing body.

I'm pretty sure City's ownership (City Football Group) set up a subsidiary (City Image Rights Group, or something like that) to move the image rights costs for their players off of the football clubs books. Just another one of their dodgy methods to get around FFP. This all came out in the Der Spiegel investigation last year. UEFA were rather heavy-handed with their punishment: a slap on the wrist and a stern telling off.

So we have played 20 games this season. So 1800 minutes of football.

And Lo Celso has played 250 of those.

Not gonna lie - I am getting worried about his situation in the squad. I know... injury and everything, but still, I have kind of a bad feeling. Hope everything goes smoothly and well ofc.
Expected him to come on earlier (like instead of NDombele) but actually game on for the dying minutes only...

Not a big fan of those substitutions in the 88th minute - give the lad 15-20 minutes so at least he has a chance to impress. Especially with a shitload of matches coming up in the next 5 weeks and being 3-0 up at some point.

So we have played 20 games this season. So 1800 minutes of football.

And Lo Celso has played 250 of those.

Not gonna lie - I am getting worried about his situation in the squad. I know... injury and everything, but still, I have kind of a bad feeling. Hope everything goes smoothly and well ofc.
Expected him to come on earlier (like instead of NDombele) but actually game on for the dying minutes only...

Injured for at least half the games Spurs have played, and had no preseason either.

Probably still building up fitness necessary to play in PL - we have seen how much Ndombele is struggling to play much more than an hour in PL matches, and he had a full preseason. French leagues (Ndombele) and Spanish league ,( Lo Celso) are far less intense than PL and many people underestimate the amount of extra effort and training that overseas players need.

Having said that I would have brought on Lo Celso rather than Moura in middle of 2nd half - but I'm not Mourhino.

And Spurs have a big squad - Sessegnon fit but not even making the bench which was already strong. So Lo Celso may need to wait for JM to rotate more to get starts.

Last edited:
He clearly states if N’Dombele isn’t fi and it’s not ridiculous to believe one of N’dombele and Lo Celso should be in midfield every match.

Yeah, but that's not what he said...and yes it is ridiculous.

It's so ridiculous that I can't even be bothered to go through the multitude of reasons outlining why it so ridiculous. So I'm going to leave you wondering as to why two guys, new to the club, the country, and to the league, shouldn't be "the first name on the team sheet".

Dammit, I gave a reason...

Yeah, but that's not what he said...and yes it is ridiculous.

It's so ridiculous that I can't even be bothered to go through the multitude of reasons outlining why it so ridiculous. So I'm going to leave you wondering as to why two guys, new to the club, the country, and to the league, shouldn't be "the first name on the team sheet".

Dammit, I gave a reason...

Yes, I agree that it is absurd to say that Lo Celso (or even Ndombele) should be "first names on the team sheet" ... though I am still bit worried that GLC seems too far from it. I understand that injury played its part but would be nice to see him getting at least 25 mins. But hopefully he'll get into top shape asap. Whenever possbile we should give him minutes before Eriksen!

Back
Top Bottom