Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Actually the sportsgames I have been to in the US seemed to be big parties for eating, drinking and having fun. When the home team lost everybody got over it within 5 min. and laughed a bit at how shit they were.
Sporting events should be fun. But trust me, not everyone "gets over it" when they lose. You must have been to a Cubs game. BOOM!

Actually the sportsgames I have been to in the US seemed to be big parties for eating, drinking and having fun. When the home team lost everybody got over it within 5 min. and laughed a bit at how shit they were.
You can look at that 2 ways though. Personally I can't help but feel hurt when Spurs lose. It's ingrained in me. There is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

MLS' biggest and most existentially threatening competitor is not football, basketball, or baseball; it's the EPL. The Premier League presents a globally-focused, star-studded, wildly entertaining brand of the game extensively available on basic cable TV and freely available on the internet, which is also breathlessly, over-heatedly covered in English language media. And the timeslots of the games are very friendly for both kids and people with jobs, and largely do not interfere with the other US professional sports. As the major US sports have priced out most fans from ever being able to attend games, leagues like the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc have primarily become televised entertainment products. The EPL delivers that kind of product to the US in a way the MLS simply cannot, and will never be able to if it isn't embraced as THE soccer league for Americans. Which can't happen as long as the EPL is siphoning off so much of the support. It's a catch-22, MLS can't become as good as major European leagues without mass public support, but it can't get mass public support because so evidently not as good as the widely available major European leagues.

Of course, versions of this are largely true everywhere except England, Spain, Italy, and Germany. Globalization, man.

MLS' biggest and most existentially threatening competitor is not football, basketball, or baseball; it's the EPL. The Premier League presents a globally-focused, star-studded, wildly entertaining brand of the game extensively available on basic cable TV and freely available on the internet, which is also breathlessly, over-heatedly covered in English language media. And the timeslots of the games are very friendly for both kids and people with jobs, and largely do not interfere with the other US professional sports. As the major US sports have priced out most fans from ever being able to attend games, leagues like the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc have primarily become televised entertainment products. The EPL delivers that kind of product to the US in a way the MLS simply cannot, and will never be able to if it isn't embraced as THE soccer league for Americans. Which can't happen as long as the EPL is siphoning off so much of the support. It's a catch-22, MLS can't become as good as major European leagues without mass public support, but it can't get mass public support because so evidently not as good as the widely available major European leagues.

Of course, versions of this are largely true everywhere except England, Spain, Italy, and Germany. Globalization, man.
Great post. Thanks.

I think the MLS can be big in time, but it will take time. As more homegrown players develop, and play, I think the fan interest in the local connections will grow. And as more fans grow, bring their kids, and begin traditions in following the teams, things will grow further. MLS is slightly hamstrung by being in North America, as although there is also Mexico in CONCACAF, it's not the same as having the Champion's League in Europe, or the Copa Libertadores in South America (which Mexican teams participate in), to grow the wider connections. I think some Club World Cup success will perhaps be a bit of a dam breaker that way, but it's still a few years out.

It's not perfect, and the lack of promotion/relegation encourages the worst of the traditional franchise-mindset misbehaviour, but it is becoming compelling in its own right. More in some cities than others, but I think the overall average quality is increasing over time, and if that keeps happening the MLS could become something really special in another 10-20 years.

Great post, capturing the excitement of the Prem, but also, IMHO, offering hope as to why soccer can become big in the States. It's a multi-pronged attack featuring the Prem, and also the Champions League and the domestic product including the National Team. It's a cocktail that's gonna blow the minds of the 'kids in America' IMHO!

I personally think soccer's biggest gains in the coming years will probably be through remaining relatively stable as many other US sports decline (mainly the NFL, MLB, and college sports), but that's a subject for another thread on another board on another continent.

I personally think soccer's biggest gains in the coming years will probably be through remaining relatively stable as many other US sports decline (mainly the NFL, MLB, and college sports), but that's a subject for another thread on another board on another continent.
The NFL is the richest sport in the world and survives as such without needing to be global. I see no such decline on the horizon.

On the other hand I do think baseball's days are numbered, which is a shame because it's so much more a tent pole of American history and culture than "football" ever will be.

Completely agree. Where I am, I will soon have multiple MLS teams as hometown options and easy access to watching numerous MLS games. I support none of them and hardly watch the MLS. In addition to Illini's points, not enough time and emotional capacity to be truly Spurs and some other inferior product. Have to pick one.

image.png

Jayc1 Jayc1 Now you're disagreeing with facts. Pointless clown.

image.png

Jayc1 Jayc1 Now you're disagreeing with facts. Pointless clown.

You said no one can "invent atheism". Well, it didn't exist at one point and now it's a popular train of thought. Hence it didn't exist and now it does exist, therefore it was either discovered or invented. Why are you on here? Aren't you suppose to be at the game?

As much as you love yourself, your word isn't "fact". "I don't think" doesn't sound like a fucking fact, does it?

Also, this is becoming like inception. A quote, within a quote, within a quote...

Fair comments, but it's precisely because the States is such a big country that it can carry soccer as a major sport alongside its other major sports. Given its size, super power status and GDP, the USA is very much a continent in its own right, and therefore the possibilities for soccer are enormous.

Again, you are overlooking the market for it....it just isnt there, and you have Americans telling you that.

Marketing campaigns will not make people like football, and if thats what succedes, it will die on its knees after a couple seasons when the novelty wears off.

You cant sell passion.

I kind of mentioned that on one of the first pages. With the increase of parents scared little Timmy will get a concussion playing football, we are seeing parents taking their kids out of pop warner and into other sports like soccer.

I think the MLS can be big in time, but it will take time. As more homegrown players develop, and play, I think the fan interest in the local connections will grow. And as more fans grow, bring their kids, and begin traditions in following the teams, things will grow further. MLS is slightly hamstrung by being in North America, as although there is also Mexico in CONCACAF, it's not the same as having the Champion's League in Europe, or the Copa Libertadores in South America (which Mexican teams participate in), to grow the wider connections. I think some Club World Cup success will perhaps be a bit of a dam breaker that way, but it's still a few years out.

In 2016, North America will not only be included in Copa America, but the United States and Canada will be the host countries providing the venues. This is going to be HUGE for soccer in America and for the National Team. We can beat up on Mexico only so many times before we need a new challenge (and that challenge is getting beat up by Argentina).

You said no one can "invent atheism". Well, it didn't exist at one point and now it's a popular train of thought. Hence it didn't exist and now it does exist, therefore it was either discovered or invented. Why are you on here? Aren't you suppose to be at the game?
This makes no sense at all. Atheism is the null hypothesis, therefore belief in something needs to be thought of to counter it. Before the first idea of a deity existed, no belief in it existed. No belief in God = atheism.

I kind of mentioned that on one of the first pages. With the increase of parents scared little Timmy will get a concussion playing football, we are seeing parents taking their kids out of pop warner and into other sports like soccer.

And since soccer, like football is a fall sport in US high schools, it stands to gain most directly in terms of participation rates.

Back
Top Bottom