Good article on soccer in USA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wow, this thread is all kinds of fucked up.

I kinda get how Jayc1 Jayc1 feels. I find American culture more and more vulgar the older I get. There's a loud, brash, immature nature to it that I find it more and more difficult to accommodate. I've found that as the years have gone by I have traveled there less and less as a result. But I think that the fundamental mistake Jayc1 Jayc1 makes is that he seems confused as to how this translates to Americans themselves. He says he doesn't like Americans because he met some and didn't like them, then he says it's not because they're American - yet then goes on to use this in conjunction with, and to reinforce, his negative view of American society. That seems to me to be trying to have your cake and eat it. He's clearly formed an underlying stereotyped view of Americans based on his experiences and linked it to America cultural attitudes, whether he's aware of it or not.

Of the Americans I know, some are loud, brash "America fuck yeah" fools. Others, however, are articulate, intelligent, calm and generally pleasant folks. It's really no different than, say, between educated Brits and chav morons. Point is that you can't judge people always as being a reflection of the society from which they come. They can only ever be judged on their individual merits.

Anyhow, now that I have set the world right, I'm going back to bed. :chicco::dwi:

Careful bud, you'll have the logic police raiding your house!!

I reckon if you analyse any culture you'll find negatives if you want to and for sure a culture shouldn't be used as a measure of an individual.

I'd love to hear opinions of visitors to the UK after spending 2 weeks in moss side... but uh-oh now I'm stereotyping too lol

ae3.png
lol it's funny , I get it :)
Just sometimes I read parts of a conversation and think wtf... why even, what the hell they thinking, who could bother, what's the point

I was loving this thread until about page 4 where it started to look like a feverish dream .... you know, the ones where strange shit happens that seems normal at first until your new friend, a monkey named Ernie who's wearing pajamas turns to you and asks why you've been making banana smoothies in your trousers and suggests that it'd be faster if you took the trousers off.

Baffles me how people can say football won't become big in America. Anything that can make money or that's remotely capitalist gets abused and conquered, eventually.
All it takes is a few rule changes, a few more million viewers and players would flock there.."I've always supported LA Galaxy since I was a kid, they're one of the biggest clubs in the world" said a 33 year old Messi, after signing a 5 year contract, worth £25 mil.

What do you need for a top league? Money. + Quality players (not just one or two) or top foreign players milking it at the end of their careers.

What does America love? Money. + a return?

You don't need history. You don't need top stadiums. You don't need fantastic fans. You need high wages and big transfers. Yes - yes - yes - yes and yes?

It is possible to have good national side without a top level domestic league-just look around Europe - Greece and Denmark + others have had their special days?
For the record, I absolute love watching the USA at the World Cup. They play with spirt, heart and passion that is second to none. This gets them through and puts them on the football map for me. I just feel its another thing the USA producing top level domestic football teams. Look how long the Jocks have been trying? I have always believed that the USA would be a force in internationals but domestically will struggle (although I will accept possible) just not for a very very long time?

Don't know when this was but I was surprised to see that the MLS was in the top 10

average-football-crowds_k1e5b59jcjy41anuf0xnbye2s.jpg

Thanks for this table SC, really good info in it. Fascinating to see the MLS already has a higher average attendance than one of the powerhouses of world football, Argentina. And it's far from impossible that in the the next 10 years the MLS wil overtake one of the biggest leagues of all, Serie A, in terms of average attendance. That's a measure of the growth of soccer in the States, and something that really pleases me.

Football is one of this country's greatest cultural exports, and with the States joining in now, it is easily the world's number 1 sport/game. Actually, for me, it's more like a religion and a love affair, but that's another debate.

Am pleased to see this thread having had so many responses, maybe some off topic, but hey it's the internet, who can say what's OT and what's right. My two cents' worth on the wider issues in this debate is that I've been to the States a few times and love being over there. If it wasn't for all the hassle of flying, I'd be over to New York some time soon, partly just to catch a Spurs game in a bar there.What a cultural criss-cross and eye opener that would be I reckon.

Anyway, once again good wishes to all our fans out there keeping the flag flying for Spurs and soccer. :coys:

As the famous sign, altered on a Liverpool church in the 60s once said.

'Jesus saves, but St John puts in the rebounds'.

(For those younger viewers St John is a Liverpool legend, who later along with Greavesie was reborn as a TV pundit in a famous show here.)

Such a daft rule. I really don't see the sense in it, I don't think it would stop fans going to watch a game just because it's on TV.

It's not meant to keep Premier League attendances up, they'll always be fine. It's to help lower league teams keep their attendances up as much as possible.

Thanks for this table SC, really good info in it. Fascinating to see the MLS already has a higher average attendance than one of the powerhouses of world football, Argentina. And it's far from impossible that in the the next 10 years the MLS wil overtake one of the biggest leagues of all, Serie A, in terms of average attendance. That's a measure of the growth of soccer in the States, and something that really pleases me.

Football is one of this country's greatest cultural exports, and with the States joining in now, it is easily the world's number 1 sport/game. Actually, for me, it's more like a religion and a love affair, but that's another debate.

Am pleased to see this thread having had so many responses, maybe some off topic, but hey it's the internet, who can say what's OT and what's right. My two cents' worth on the wider issues in this debate is that I've been to the States a few times and love being over there. If it wasn't for all the hassle of flying, I'd be over to New York some time soon, partly just to catch a Spurs game in a bar there.What a cultural criss-cross and eye opener that would be I reckon.

Anyway, once again good wishes to all our fans out there keeping the flag flying for Spurs and soccer. :coys:

The United States is a huge country of 300 million people so football does not have to grow that much to overtake somewhere like Argentina with around 40 million people in terms of attendence. However the league and game structure will determine long term success in terms of American teams not simply having a lot of people and money. You only have to look the most dominate team in World Sport by a country mile the New Zealand All Blacks rugby team or that Spain is a stronger football league than Italy despite having less people to see that structure/culture/enviornment are the key to success.

Another issue is the lack of real rivalries. You have a couple like Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, but our country is so big that away support is almost non-existent for most games which probably detracts alot from the atmosphere.

Another issue is the lack of real rivalries. You have a couple like Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, but our country is so big that away support is almost non-existent for most games which probably detracts alot from the atmosphere.

Almost be better doing it by state, California Verses Texas.

I'm finding this thread difficult to follow to be honest. If we are talking about USA becoming a powerhouse of world football, then it is likely to happen - look at the influx of ex Premier League players- Beckham,Henry, Lampard, & Gerrard at the end of this season, plus many others- all top EPL players. As big names go to play there & the national side gains recognition, then it will surely gather momentum. Average attendances are already higher than Argentina AND Brazil- not sure of populations but would hazard a guess that Brazil has a pretty high population. What I wouldn't like is the American spin on it. Sky are bad enough, but one of the reasons that most US sports are unwatchable is because they are disjointed affairs. I once tried watching the Super Bowl & couldn't believe how they drag it out for hours to please sponsors & advertising. I'd hate it for games to be decided e.g by a crossbar challenge "in the event of a tie".
However, Spurs are pioneering the U.S market & Levy knows where there is a bob or two to be had. Our own club is busy exploring the American market. If the US don't try to change football & it's rules to suit sponsors & advertisers, or make it more appealing to an American audience who "don't get" the current format, then Why would anyone have a problem? Maybe it's a fear that them yanks may actually do a fucking good job of it? As for "I don't like America or Americans" in whatever shape or form people have posted on here, I happen to feel pretty embarrassed by it. It's rather like someone saying they don't like black people, or white people, or Asian people, or Jewish people because they've met one or 2 & didn't get along with them. I've been to America a few times, & found the people to be friendly, courteous & yet patriotic. They were interested to know where abouts in England we were from, they were brilliant with my kids & whilst it can come across as overbearing at times, I think American people are just enthusiastic & love their country. To be honest, it's a fucking shame a lot of us Brits aren't like that.

Back
Top Bottom