Gylfi Sigurðsson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

See, that's probably the big part of my having a completely different impression. I missed the first 20 odd minutes and the goal, so all I saw was the ensuing running around like a chicken with its head cut off routine.

I think we've seen glimpses of what he's capable of, and he very capable, but at the moment there seems be be some confusion over who's supposed to be doing what up front and Siggy is very much caught up in it. I'm confident he's got the ability and, in time, he (and the rest of the team) will settle down and link up more effectively.

The whole reason behind the differing opinions is that some are seeing what he can do, while others are seeing more of him being lost.

Hi new member here.

I think he looks a little out of his depth at the moment - he's need been at a club as big as ours before and always been a relatively large fish in a small pond.

He should bed in over time though and like you all say needs to learn this position as he was playing deeper at Swansea.

There was a certain rat-faced-chicken-badge-hater who seemed a bit out of his depth at Tottenham too when he first arrived.

The boy's young, he'll come good I hope. :avblol:

Stanners said:
Listen, I don't want anyone to think that I'm coming down on the guy. I don't like negativism, and I want to see him succeed. Spurs are at a different level than Swansea, but they still played a similar style of football last season, which is hopeful for the future. At this point I don't think anybody is calling an end to Gylfi's career at Spurs, that would be absurd. That would be almost as absurd as the anti-AVB contingent at the moment, but there's an enormous difference between playing well in a pre-season friendly against N.Y. Red Bull's and impressing in the Premier League.

VirginiaSpur said:
Stanners said:
Listen, I don't want anyone to think that I'm coming down on the guy. I don't like negativism, and I want to see him succeed. Spurs are at a different level than Swansea, but they still played a similar style of football last season, which is hopeful for the future. At this point I don't think anybody is calling an end to Gylfi's career at Spurs, that would be absurd. That would be almost as absurd as the anti-AVB contingent at the moment, but there's an enormous difference between playing well in a pre-season friendly against N.Y. Red Bull's and impressing in the Premier League.

Completely agree, but the talent is there. I'm confident he'll come good.

I don't think we're utilizing him properly so far, and he also is very dependent on having a front man who can hold the ball up.

He never seems to have much space with us. He's obviously being told to stay forward farther and he almost never drops back to get on the ball.

I really don't want us to give up on him because talent doesn't just disappear. I want to see what he can do with Adebayor in front of him. At Swansea he was used to playing with a strong forward who could hold the ball up and get others involved. He hasn't had that at all with us. He's been in good positions and been completely ignored numerous times.

He just seemed to have more freedom with Swansea. He got on the ball more and made things happen. He's not just a goal threat; he created tons of chances last season. He's a very special player and I think he'll come good but it must be frustrating for him right now.

I got the feeling during the Reading match that he might have some fitness issues. He come off at what, 60 mins? He looked destroyed and barely able to move.

From what I could see this weekend, he was unable to have a go at the QPR players whenever they had the ball. He would literally run a circle around them trying to figure out how to do a tackle. It looked sloppy and tired. Then again, Sandro, for how much I love him, had similar difficulties in the old stripping department. Sandro also looked a half-step off.

If you concentrate on him during play, he does make some good movements and is usually avaliable for a pass. He is however often ignored, if this is because of him not calling for it or not I won't know, it might even be that the other players don't really trust him yet. This is not completely surprising either, his first touch has let him down a bit in the opening of the season. He seems to be a bit lost in the thought of, 'I have to impress, and I have to do it now.'

Éperons said:
I got the feeling during the Reading match that he might have some fitness issues. He come off at what, 60 mins? He looked destroyed and barely able to move.

From what I could see this weekend, he was unable to have a go at the QPR players whenever they had the ball. He would literally run a circle around them trying to figure out how to do a tackle. It looked sloppy and tired. Then again, Sandro, for how much I love him, had similar difficulties in the old stripping department. Sandro also looked a half-step off.
Totally agree about Sandro. Looked off the Oscar on Sunday. Hopefully temporary, as with Siggy.

Cripps14 said:
nssmuckers said:
I don't think we're utilizing him properly so far, and he also is very dependent on having a front man who can hold the ball up.

:adegrin2:
I think we just hit the nail on the head with Siggy/Dempsey. Our midfielders aren't going to score goals with Defoe up front, but they will have times to make those runs into the box with Adebayor holding the ball up. I'm not going to judge our attacking players until i see them play with Ade,

I agree with a lot of the points that have been made above. He's a good player who's finding his feet at a bigger club. What worries me is that he may be a Charlie Adam; great when the side is built around him, otherwise ineffectual. I think the more likely reason for his relatively poor performance is a lack of link-up play with the wingers (which was actually very good with Rafa, so may take time to replicate).

Give it time: the boy is clearly gifted. If we can't wait for him to perform then we don't deserve what he can do on his day.

Don't think we need to worry about him being a Charlie Adam, the boy has class and that is pretty clear.

The difference between him at Swansea and with us is, the players at Swansea already knew what they were doing. It was a more settled team where every player knew his role. Whereas with us, he finds himself in a team where almost all players are trying to adapt to a new system and new teammates. Give him time, he will come good.

I think we'll see him really shine when Adebayor comes back into the side. Siggurdsson's game is built around quick interchanging of passes around the box ending in either a lovely slipped through ball (see his assist the other week) or a fierce drive. The problem at the moment is we are playing with Defoe up front who isn't capable of that type of play. He doesn't have the passing ability to play that style, and even if he did he's Jermain Defoe, if he has the ball anywhere near the box he will shoot rather than pass backwards.

When Adebayor is in the team he will hold up the ball and look to swap passes with the player behind him. It was a key part of his play with van der Vaart last season, and that type of forward play is exactly what Danny Graham was so good at last year at Swansea.

At the moment we are built around direct running so Dempsey and Dembele appear to fit right in while Siggurdsson looks great in patches but lost when it doesn't come off. He will show why we got him when that style changes to something more fluid.

Back
Top Bottom