Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
I honestly don't understand why everyone's so negative. We strengthened our defence, which was one of our main problem areas last season. I thought most people were happy about Poch's appointment because he brings the best out of players, so how about we wait and see what he he brings out of the likes of Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Bentaleb, Davies, Dier, Soldado, Kane, Paulinho, Capoue, etc. and stop moaning about the fact we didn't splash a shitload of money on worldclass players like the teams above us. We've got so much potential quality already and I believe Poch can do very well with what we've got. Also, before everyone starts moaning about how shit our signings are and that were doomed for mid-table, why don't we just wait and see how they're doing when we've actually seen them play instead of just judging them straight away? Just give the man some time to do what he did with Southampton!

Since January we have sold Defoe,Huddlestone,Livermore, Fryers,Dawson, Falque, Sigurdsson and Sandro.That's at least £45million. We have bought Yedlin, Fazio,Vorm,Dier,Davies and Stambouli. That is about £35million. Therefore we are about £10million in credit, Add that to the TV revenue and the fact we really did not spend anything last summer. We needed better back up for Walker; got Yedlin but he won't be with us for a year. We needed a centreback;not our first choice but got Fazio. Needed a replacement for Friedel;got Vorm who nobody has seen since. We needed a replacement for the hapless Rose;got Davies who is not yet deemed good enough to replace Rose. We needed a left winger and striker,where are they? Levy really has got to go,along with ENIC.

Best things about football (in order of preference):
1) one of the home grown players becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
2) one of the reasonably priced transfers becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
3) buy an expensive star

1&2 are way more rewarding and I hope that's what we are going for in the next years. Of course it does not hurt to buy a big name now and then but I'm really not sure that has been the most successful dogma for Spurs in the near history.

Agree.

Instead of people thinking that Poch might actually have some faith in our players, people just assume that we had a host of world class players queing up with a contract and pen, and Levy said "NO".

As pointed out above, maybe Deepay didnt want to come...as highlighted by him signing a new FIVE YEAR DEAL at his current club.

Did we all miss the part where Southampton said that Schniderlin is NOT for sale....and kept him..? What should Levy do about that? Offer 45M for him?

Or how about us not wanting to pay 16-18M for Welbeck, and Welbeck refusing our loan offer and joining the gooners? Sensible from the club to miss out for that money IMO.

Stam was clearly the Sandro replacement. I guess Levys mistake was not selling Sandro first then signing Stam at 9pm last night, to make everyone spunk in their pants for the very same signing..

People moaned about the defence....we signed 5 at the back

Moaned about a DM...we signed one

They said Soldado will come good, 20+ goals this season....it was Sherwood who messed him up.

No one is talking about Soldado anymore....
enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

For those who aren't happy, who should we have bought? It's all very well citing issues but at least have some solutions.
One of Greizmann, Negredo, Muniain, Hernandez or Depay

All very much second 'tier' players and achievable within our financial structure. No one is calling for Messi and Ronaldo here

Haha. Polls gotta love'um, word them how you see fit:
Yes. We are one of the best run clubs in the world and have re-invested 100% of income generated from player sales into improving the squad.
No. I think we should brake financial fair play and rack up huge debt by playing huge salaries and transfer fees on a single player whilst not addressing one of the most pours defences in the league.

Unfortunatley I am old enough to have experienced and genuinely believed this club was going bust once, it nearly broke me. I know you all love this club but to aspire to spunk money and get into debt do me a favour.
I am proud this club is well run. As for the signings, let's see them play before we cast the first stone. If they are shit and if we are weaker then we have some grounds for criticism, and I will be at the front of the queue demanding answers, but for fuck sake lets see what happens first.

"I have always felt from the beginning that we did not need to make big changes to this squad," said Mauricio.

Translated

"The reason I got the job and not Frank is that the chairman thought we should get the value from the 110M of signings made last year rather than making further big signings and potentally having more disruption and devaluing of those players we have not seen play to potential. He saw that at southampton I got the very best out of players, who have all gone for a fortune, and hopes I can do the same again"

One of Greizmann, Negredo, Muniain, Hernandez or Depay

All very much second 'tier' players and achievable within our financial structure. No one is calling for Messi and Ronaldo here

Out of those I think Depay was the only realistic choice, even though most of them would have improved us. Hernandez wouldn't have suited our style and has now gone to sit on the bench at Madrid. Griezmann and Muniain are both playing Champions League and Negredo has been injured for pretty much the whole of pre-season...

I love how everyone just assumes we would have been able to sign all these players. What if no one wanted to come, Depay may well have said, no Im not interested in a move to Spurs.

"OH FUCK YOU LEVY AND ENIC AND POCH FOR NOT TRYING TO MAKE OUR SQUAD BETTER YOU CUNTS, EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT GOT A CLUE WHAT ACTUALLY GOES ON BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, YOU ARE ALL WANKERS AND NEED TO DIE"

Get a grip morons.

Beautiful words from Poch....its like he just took out his cock and slapped it across some of our fans silly little faces...

A manager who seems to really believe in our policy. Great to hear.

Why can't you have a sensible discussion and put your point across without reverting to silly schoolboy playground name calling?
You're not always right and other people are allowed their own point of view and opinion.

Just because people don't have the same view as yourself doesn't make them wrong or bad fans..

Best things about football (in order of preference):
1) one of the home grown players becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
2) one of the reasonably priced transfers becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
3) buy an expensive star

1&2 are way more rewarding and I hope that's what we are going for in the next years. Of course it does not hurt to buy a big name now and then but I'm really not sure that has been the most successful dogma for Spurs in the near history.

I find it extremely weird that 90% of all spurs fans seem to understand that we need a striker and yet again, the board closes their eyes. We haven't had a good striker since Berbatov left in 2008! I find that incredibly strange. Yes, we did sign a 29 year old Soldado, but if they would have scouted him for at least one game, they would have seen that this is a player how I incapable of producing anything on his own. This is a essential ability to have, as a striker in the Premier League!!!!!!

The worst of all is that the board keep demanding CL from the managers they appoint, but they them self, are refusing to give them anyone to score the goals they need to get there.

I love THFC, but I feel that we need a little more insight into what they are thinking. I know it wont happen, but I would love to see a statement from Levy where he explains us the reason for why we yet again don't have a striker that can score the goals we need. I personally think that Everton will show us all how important a good striking force is in the Premier League, and I am very afraid that we will have to watch them surpass yet again.

Last edited:
HAPPY WITH OUR TRANSFER STRATEGY ?
We have gone from VdV, Sandro, Parker, Modric and Bale in midfield, to Chadli, Capoue, Eriksen, Bentaleb and Lamela.

So I think my answer is NO!:levyeyes:

Haven't had a say yet (about this current window) but overall I'm am quite satisfied.
We trimmed down the squad, and we have for sure strengthened it.

If there's anything that I'm disappointed at, then it's the fact we didn't get a LW(F).
Before the window started, all that I wanted was a left-winger, which should've been a big priority. But for now, I'm willing to let it slide due to how Poch sets up the attacking midfield-three and that Jay Rod is a huge possibility in January.

Anyway for me, the best signings this Summer have been ... Hugo's contract extension and Poch's appointment. Levy for once, probably has finally made a proper Spursy hiring. And tying down Lloris with another deal is a big signal of intent, imo. I pretty much accepted that he was gonna leave for some bigger club, before that news.

Last edited:
People who backed Soldado, Capoue and Lamela to the fullest in order to slate Sherwood now think we have shit players.

People who slated the treatment of Holtby, who "should be starting every game for us", seemingly not giving a shit that Poch doesnt rate him either.

People who lauded Sandro, quickly abandoning him when they were "certain" Schniderlin was on his way.

People who think Welbeck is shit, crying because we didnt sign Welbeck.

People demanding a CM for the last two months only demanding a striker last night.

What a fucking embarrassing shambles.

End of the day, we should have got another striker in. Ade is gone for about 5 weeks and if Kane pulls a hammy, we are relying on Soldado. Very disapointed. If Levy would just push the boat out for a Bony type player, it could make all the difference getting top 4 and winning things.

Look at Chelski. IMO going to win the league easily, they thrash Everton 6-3 BUT they still go for more by buying Remy.

There is another window before Ade goes away.

Maybe (and sensibly) we want to see if Rodriguez will actually walk again this year before buying him.....

Back
Top Bottom