Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
when it comes to transfers, when buying, there iso ne thing I believe in. Set a players worth, and never exceed what you judge that to be. Even if you miss out on who you want by half a mill.
otherwise you pay 35 million for andy carroll.
Im fairly sure that between them, Pochettino, Baldini, Broomfield and Levy will have worked out who they were targeting, what they considered to be top dollar for those targets and what alternatives for each one was. I think we got those targets with Dier and Davies, Vorm was an added bonus, with Stambouli and Fazio being alternatives.
the mustachio (or whatever his name is) was fucked by third party ownerships, and southampton wouldn't sell schneiderlin.
Why didn't we sign a striker? I think the people we could get were either not for sale (Bony) or wouldn't have joined us to due to a lack of chumpions league (Remy and Wellbeck).
we aint gonna get the top names cos we aint in the champions league. we are in the Europa league, the tournament designed to handicap the closest competitors for champions league places in the big 5 leagues.
to be blunt, we are playing catch up. and have been since the formation of the premier league, and since venables moved him self upstairs. under enic the gap has closed.
the grass aint always greener.

imcidently: If Levy hadn't gotten Broomfield back, who wants to bet that Dier would be a gooner right now?

I think we do need ENIC...I believe they are a big plus in our sponsership negotiations and things like the new training centre etc......

Just because they dont lavish us with 250K a week players doesnt mean they are useless.

But all you hear from other chairmen is how levy pisses them off & changes agreements.

I think I'm right in saying that enic have spent £36m over a 12 year tenure of their own £ the rest is self generated. Plans for the stadium are changed as are contractors.

I don't agree that anyone is worth £250,000 a week , we have sky & suchlike to blame for that, that's 100% not ENIC's fault. But a expenditure of £36m for a return of 20 fold is utter greed. He wanted too much from abromovich I believe . We have been seeking sponsors & investors in the new stadium for donkey's years .

I'll leave it here for now Sammy ( May chip in later) but I enjoyed the debate. :adethumbup:

Last edited:
WINDOW WRAP - SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2014
Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 2 September 2014 - 17:30

As the transfer window for 2014 closes, we look back on a summer of activity shaping the squad for the new season.

We welcomed Ben Davies and Michel Vorm from Swansea City, Eric Dier arrived from Sporting Lisbon, Federico Fazio joined from Sevilla and Benji Stambouli was our final arrival from Montpellier. A deal was also completed for DeAndre Yedlin to arrive from Seattle Sounders next year.

We said goodbye to Michael Dawson, Sandro, Zeki Fryers, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Heurelho Gomes, who left in order to seek increased playing opportunities, while Jake Livermore joined Hull City after a successful season-long loan and Lewis Holtby has returned to Germany, joining Hamburg on loan for the season. Tom Carroll will pick up further experience in a season-long loan in the Premier League with Swansea City.

We wish them all every success in the next stage of their careers.

In addition, Hugo Lloris, Danny Rose and Harry Kane have all signed new long-term contracts with the Club.

Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino discusses the Club's business we conducted over the summer period.

"I have always felt from the beginning that we did not need to make big changes to this squad," said Mauricio.

"We believe in these players, they are great professionals and I am convinced of the quality we have in all areas.

"We were always certain that we would only make changes if we believed they would benefit us in the long-term.

"It is still early in the season and players are adapting to our style and tactics and I have been delighted with their response.

"We believe we can improve these players to get the best out of them and we are going the right way.

"We were keen to strengthen our defence and I have been pleased with the way we have improved across this area.

"Michel Vorm will provide additional strength to our goalkeepers alongside Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel and Luke McGee and we look forward to having him back at full fitness soon.

"Ben Davies arrives as a young player with a wealth of experience already in the Premier League and we now have two outstanding, internationals vying for the left-back position. I’m sure they will be motivated to improve each other.

"Eric Dier is a versatile and young player and we feel he has a lot of potential. We have followed him for some time and we think he can develop into a top defender.

"Federico Fazio is an excellent signing for us - a positive influence both on and off the field. He is a big and strong defender and will give us something extra in terms of presence, aggression and will to win.

"Benji Stambouli offers us versatility as well as quality. He knows what it takes to win and will prove a tremendous addition in both defensive midfield and also in defence if needed.

"We can also look forward to DeAndre Yedlin joining us next year. He has shown he can perform at the highest level with his performances at the World Cup and he will strengthen us further in the future.

"We want to deliver exciting, attacking and pressing football and the range of forwards we have are extremely well-equipped to work within this system. We have quality and versatility in these areas so we are confident that they can play anywhere across the front line when called upon.

“We have quality throughout what is a balanced, talented squad."

Lets be honest this is mostly an over reaction to the Liverpool loss. If we'd taken our first half chances and/or they hadn't got a dodgy penalty we'd probably be hailing Levy as a genius. The fact is I doubt there are any strikers out there who would improve us, would want to come to us and we could justify there transfer fee. As it is we have 3 capable strikers for one position, more than enough competition.

Also just in response to some of the names of strikers being floated about

Bony - Good last season but is yet to even get an assist in Swansea's first three wins this season and commands a huge transfer fee for what is essentially a huge risk.
Welbeck - For £16 million is a huge gamble and even then too much money. plus I suspect wages were an issue.
Negredo - Firstly why would he even consider it? Two his wage demands would probably more than double our max wages.
Benteke and Jay Rod - Both have serious injury concerns and would be risky, plus if anything we'd need someone for the short term as we have Kane coming through so I don't see the point.
Remy - This one would of probably been a good signing. The big question mark is why his move to Liverpool fell through and I suspect whatever the reason it would of collapsed any move for us too.
Hernandez - Wouldn't be able to get close to his wage demands and why would he turn down Madrid for us?! Even if it is for their bench it doesn't compare.
Finally Lukaku - Firstly we have no idea if we did move for him but more importantly I suspect Chelsea would rather sell to Everton and I can't think of one reason why Lukaku should choose us over them either.

Anyway though 3 strikers is enough, otherwise Kane will be put to waste and we'll be left complaining about the lack of young players coming through our academy. Add onto that what I said at the start of this post and it does not surprise in the slightest that we have not signed a striker this window. In fact I agree with the logic behind it. I also think a solid defense is what you build your team on and we have certainly looked to be doing that.

So yes, I am happy with this window and I suspect the poll would say a little differently too if it was worded with a simple yes/no answer.

Do you think Poch has been lied to/let down over signings?
And is unhappy with the squad and thinks the club lacks ambition?

Some people must feel really shitty about this season, all of three games in.

Im glad Im among the rest, looking forward to it, and the positive sounds coming from the manager.

I guess some people simply enjoy the misery.

I am still buzzing for the season. We have a good, very young squad. If we can develop a couple more of our own through the season and then address some gaps in January then we can compete on all fronts.

Besiktas is a great tie for the Europa League groups. Exciting.

Forrest in the cup is great as well.

Sunderland away next, very winnable game that could put us on 9 points from 4 games.

Liverpool, City and Woolwich have all dropped points to poor clubs. We lost to the team that came second last year. Not an ish.

Liverpool will find it more difficult when they are playing madrid mid week then the league on sat. Tough test for their squad.

United are shit.

Woolwich are a couple of key injuries away from a long season.

Chelsea will probably walk it. City close behind.

Everton bought well, but are no stronger than last year.

4th is attainable but will be tough. Europa league is winnable, as are both cups.

Last edited:
I think defensively we have done very well, we have lloris, vorm, walker, Dier, yedlin, Kaboul, fazio, verts, chirches, rose, Davies, capoue, stamboli as our defensive players so not much more needed.

My issue is in the attacking third, ade is hit and miss, Kane is good but too young to take full responsibility and soldado has been awful thus far, combined with the ineffectiveness of Townsend and Lennon on the wing I felt we needed to get better winger (LW) and most importantly a striker. Think remy or bony and we should have gone all out for depay when we had the chance.

That being said our squad is good but IMO not top 4, if poch gets us 5th i will be happy.

End of the day, we should have got another striker in. Ade is gone for about 5 weeks and if Kane pulls a hammy, we are relying on Soldado. Very disapointed. If Levy would just push the boat out for a Bony type player, it could make all the difference getting top 4 and winning things.

Look at Chelski. IMO going to win the league easily, they thrash Everton 6-3 BUT they still go for more by buying Remy.

My only concern with this window was the lack of Striker.

We have addressed other issues and hopefully Poch can nurture some youth into contention for the 1st 11.

Up front though, we have Adey who is quality. Can score / hold it up. Issue with ACON though.

Soldado who is at this moment in time, utter shit. There is a lot of pressure on him to come good now.

Kane who is solid if not spectacular.

We also don't (that I know of) have a highly rated youth striker (Kane aside) to come into contention...

But meh, Woolwich dropped 16mil on Welbeck to solve their issues. So could be worse.

I'm quite indifferent about the transfer window.
Positive:
+ We bought a young, talented, British LB to push or replace Rose. Very good piece of business.
+ We bought two CB with quality, one of them young, talented and British aswell
+ With Yedlin we secured a great talent for the RB position.

Indifferent:
o Bought Stambouli, who is more or less a lucky bag - might be a starter, might be a backup.
o sold some squad players (Fryers, Gylfi, Livermore)

Negative:
- Not bought an AM or a LW. Currently, we haven't any adequate backup for Eriksen and our backups for the wings aren't compatible to the system and not in form.
- We weren't able to secure a young, talented, British, quite proven Striker (Welbeck) for a quite moderate price.
- We sold Sandro and Holtby, two absolute fan favourites and idols.

Maybe the negatives weigh a bit more than the positives but in total it's ok. Not too good, but not too bad neither.

Still, I'm quite envious about some players Woolwich secured this window (although I know they have better arguments with CL football and bit higher wages): Sánchez, Chambers and Welbeck. The first one could solve our winger problems, the second one could play CB and be a proven RB-Backup at once and the third seems to be much more compatible to Poch's System than Soldado. Nevertheless, I hope we will smash them twice in the league and finish above them!

There is a major issue here; yes we could well have done with another striker but when Troy Deeney and Jordan Rhodes are valued by their clubs at more than £12m, then there does seem to be a dearth of strikers who are good enough, and not costing in excess of £20+m - more....and who are available.

Both of Benteke and Rodriguez would have been options but I can hardly imagine signing a player who might not return the same as they were previous to injury is a good idea.

Shane Long for 12M says it all

I agree in some ways too, but Im still firmly of the belief that this team hasnt failed yet. AVB and Sherwood last season accounted for nothing and for me, it seems like the players that Poch didnt want, he got rid of. The rest he will have to work with for now. They are still new signings in some ways.

People here know I am one of Soldados biggest critics....but its weird that people who tried telling me he had a very good season last year, and he is a great, intelligent player who was let down by having a system that didnt suit him, and that he will come good etc etc etc are nowhere to be seen, and here I am, all alone, trying to back him while they slate the club for leaving us with a "load of shit" up front..

We also shouldnt look to Everton as a beacon.....they didnt buy for 8 years despite selling players like Rooney, Lescott and Fellaini for 70 odd Million.

Everton is not a beacon, but I do believe they have done a very good transfer window by focusing on strikers. Same with Liverpool witch was awful before Suarez and Sturidge started to work together.

But lets forget all the other teams.

I do believe that we are undermining the importance of what a good striking force can provide, and we have done that for many years. Maby the right targets hasn't been out there this window,( I belive it has), but It certainly have been during the last 6 years.

I think people are overlooking the fact that we spent almost all of the Bale money last season and still have all 7 of the players we brought in. That's still a lot of bedding in to do, especially when some of them have barely been playing under the various managers. Add in the mostly new back line we have recently bought and the return of Lamela and we are looking at a lot of players who all need game time and could potentially turn out to be very capable players.

Just because we got spanked by Liverpool in our third premier league game under a new manager doesn't mean we are desperate for quality. If anything we are desperate for time and cohesion, which WILL NOT come with buying more and more players. There is no point recycling the squad for the sake of spending the money we have.

Have faith in our players, our squad is looking excellent at the moment in my opinion - with two legitimate options in every position of a 4-2-3-1.

This is a question that should be answered around Christmas, when we are down to the bare bones, Harry Kane is leading our line against the top 4 and vert and Lloris are sending out come and get me messages.

I'm far from one of these people who think we should throw money around left right and centre but I'm one of the people who can see we needed a decent striker.

If football is about making a profit then I give up.

We were top 4 contenders but I'd be amazed if we are in the running with 10 games to go..

Back
Top Bottom