Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
Do you believe that we don't have any more money to spend?

I believe we are under a strict budget regarding the training ground and stadium that will benefit us in the long term.

I fully support the clubs policy this window and would have been far more dissapointed if we spent 27 million on Scniederlin and 16M on Welbeck (I wanted Welbeck but on loan with an option)

I believe our policy of buying unknowns and turning them into 30-70M pound players will pay off soon, and one day we wont need to sell them on, we will be able to build around them.

Its a bumpy road, but one Id take everyday of the week over the one Chelsea, Utd and City have taken.

I am not saying that I want spurs to spend a lot more money. I was just agreeing to what was said about that we should have bought a new striker, witch we CAN afford.
But you do want us to spend more. We are 5th highest spenders over the past 5 years. How much more do you want us to spend? Forget net spend, we have bought a lot of players and spent a lot of money over the past few years. We have a £26m striker that we are yet to get the best from, and we should give him more than a season to prove we can do so. We also have Ade who is superb on his day and Kane, who showed at the end of last season he is improving.

We play one up top. How many strikers do you want? How would we keep them all happy?

We've played 3 games and you are adamant (I gather from your forum name) that we need another striker. I'd be interested to know who you'd have bid for?

Our 'ambition' as a club is funding the new stadium. That's a lot of dinero. We will be tightening the belt for a while to come, but we are still competing and probably field a more balanced squad than last season despite spending effectively nothing.

Levy is a great businessman. He has his faults, but we have a good overall squad this season IMO.

I would like to think there is a happy medium between being tighter than a duck's arse and going down the route of Pompey and Leeds.

Surely the likes of Huntelaar would have been a possibility without breaking the bank. As for the whole Leeds thing, didn't Seth Johnston sum that up to a tee?

WINDOW WRAP - SUMMER TRANSFER WINDOW 2014
Posted by Tottenham Hotspur on 2 September 2014 - 17:30

As the transfer window for 2014 closes, we look back on a summer of activity shaping the squad for the new season.

We welcomed Ben Davies and Michel Vorm from Swansea City, Eric Dier arrived from Sporting Lisbon, Federico Fazio joined from Sevilla and Benji Stambouli was our final arrival from Montpellier. A deal was also completed for DeAndre Yedlin to arrive from Seattle Sounders next year.

We said goodbye to Michael Dawson, Sandro, Zeki Fryers, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Heurelho Gomes, who left in order to seek increased playing opportunities, while Jake Livermore joined Hull City after a successful season-long loan and Lewis Holtby has returned to Germany, joining Hamburg on loan for the season. Tom Carroll will pick up further experience in a season-long loan in the Premier League with Swansea City.

We wish them all every success in the next stage of their careers.

In addition, Hugo Lloris, Danny Rose and Harry Kane have all signed new long-term contracts with the Club.

Head Coach Mauricio Pochettino discusses the Club's business we conducted over the summer period.

"I have always felt from the beginning that we did not need to make big changes to this squad," said Mauricio.

"We believe in these players, they are great professionals and I am convinced of the quality we have in all areas.

"We were always certain that we would only make changes if we believed they would benefit us in the long-term.

"It is still early in the season and players are adapting to our style and tactics and I have been delighted with their response.

"We believe we can improve these players to get the best out of them and we are going the right way.

"We were keen to strengthen our defence and I have been pleased with the way we have improved across this area.

"Michel Vorm will provide additional strength to our goalkeepers alongside Hugo Lloris, Brad Friedel and Luke McGee and we look forward to having him back at full fitness soon.

"Ben Davies arrives as a young player with a wealth of experience already in the Premier League and we now have two outstanding, internationals vying for the left-back position. I’m sure they will be motivated to improve each other.

"Eric Dier is a versatile and young player and we feel he has a lot of potential. We have followed him for some time and we think he can develop into a top defender.

"Federico Fazio is an excellent signing for us - a positive influence both on and off the field. He is a big and strong defender and will give us something extra in terms of presence, aggression and will to win.

"Benji Stambouli offers us versatility as well as quality. He knows what it takes to win and will prove a tremendous addition in both defensive midfield and also in defence if needed.

"We can also look forward to DeAndre Yedlin joining us next year. He has shown he can perform at the highest level with his performances at the World Cup and he will strengthen us further in the future.

"We want to deliver exciting, attacking and pressing football and the range of forwards we have are extremely well-equipped to work within this system. We have quality and versatility in these areas so we are confident that they can play anywhere across the front line when called upon.

“We have quality throughout what is a balanced, talented squad."

Beautiful words from Poch....its like he just took out his cock and slapped it across some of our fans silly little faces...

A manager who seems to really believe in our policy. Great to hear.

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but to even invoke the names of Leeds and Portsmouth when the club are among the most revenue-generating on earth, and have PROFITED on transfers over the past 5 years is either just lazy or a purposeful obfuscation of the issues here. Tottenham aren't just not Leeds or Portsmouth, they aren't even within a Abramovich-ian spending spree of being Leeds or Portsmouth.

I don't think the answer is yes or no. On a whole, I think we do a good job. But the problem with Levy is everything seems to come with a caveat.

• He's done well on the business side but he's reduced supporters to a client reference number and through cheapness tried to move use to Stratford and legalized touting.
  • He's done well to improve the football side but his meddling and lack of patience have created a culture of uncertainty and constant turnover at the club that makes the football worse.
  • He's done well in the transfer market but he seems to lack a sense of when we need to stop cutting corners in spending and just really go for it to solidify ourselves in the top class of the league.
I think the reason the whole thing is so frustrating is that it always seems like we're so close to having a really great thing at the club but that Levy always fails to deliver in the final step that would drive us to glory we crave. Because of that, I don't think yes or no is the right answer to the question. In regards to the smaller scope of just this transfer window, I don't think we had a bad one but it is hard to deny in the world of £90m from just the TV contract that is was an exceedingly cautious window.

Excellent post, succinctly highlights exactly where we have failed to capitalise on opportunities to progress - each time we missed our chance it has only increased the challenge further as others massively spend their way out of trouble ASAP.

Some think that nobody should be accountable for this, that we shouldn't as fans be disappointed or angry about it and, we should all just be grateful to exist and know our place is 6th so must be mega happy with 5th. It is a losers attitude!

West Brom at home after that, who look like they may struggle this season and got dicked 3-0 by Swansea. I'm still optimistic we can have a good season, just don't think it will be a great one. Still far too early to tell.
If you compare the results to last season we are ahead of the game.

Away at West Ham ... + 3 points
Home to the Championship playoff winner ... no change
Home to Liverpool ... no change

levy2.gif

Very, very sad.

End of the day, we should have got another striker in. Ade is gone for about 5 weeks and if Kane pulls a hammy, we are relying on Soldado. Very disapointed. If Levy would just push the boat out for a Bony type player, it could make all the difference getting top 4 and winning things.

Look at Chelski. IMO going to win the league easily, they thrash Everton 6-3 BUT they still go for more by buying Remy.

Remy or bony would have been ideal, we can sort of pony our way in other areas because of our squad strength but we are at best average up top and it is for that reason I think we will get 5-6th at the end of the season.

I think we will get 5-6th at the end of the season.

Thats about what Im expecting in Pochs first season with a team that still needs to gel, and adapt to their third set of coaching and management in 12 months...in fact, I think that would be admirable.

Are people expecting 3rd or 4th this season? Really?

My only concern with this window was the lack of Striker.

We have addressed other issues and hopefully Poch can nurture some youth into contention for the 1st 11.

Up front though, we have Adey who is quality. Can score / hold it up. Issue with ACON though.

Soldado who is at this moment in time, utter shit. There is a lot of pressure on him to come good now.

Kane who is solid if not spectacular.

We also don't (that I know of) have a highly rated youth striker (Kane aside) to come into contention...

But meh, Woolwich dropped 16mil on Welbeck to solve their issues. So could be worse.
I agree with your post ,except the welbeck bit.but am not so sure he will be as bad a deal for them as people think.i think they may have got a good buy there.We shall see

Somehow our luck with strikers has been consecutively bad for some time now. Clearly we should not buy whoever is available (ie. Welbeck) for just about any bloated sum. The scouts really need to dig in to this one and find a gem for the next 5 years.

Hopefully Bobby will excel, as he arguably can. Hopefully Kane's skills will improve 25% in the next 2 years and he'll be a striker one can depend. Ade will be gone in one or two years because of his age and I never trusted the guy to begin with - even though I had to try.

It seems that the club is in steady hands now and possesses plenty of potential. There might be coupe of real phenomenons in our current roster. Our club should not / can't buy it's way in to happiness with big money.

TL;DR
1. Our scouts in cooperation with 'Tino should really try to find a striker who'll bring the team to the next level in couple of next years.
2. Really try to squeeze everything out of our current roster.

91YlQ88.jpg

Agree.

Instead of people thinking that Poch might actually have some faith in our players, people just assume that we had a host of world class players queing up with a contract and pen, and Levy said "NO".

As pointed out above, maybe Deepay didnt want to come...as highlighted by him signing a new FIVE YEAR DEAL at his current club.

Did we all miss the part where Southampton said that Schniderlin is NOT for sale....and kept him..? What should Levy do about that? Offer 45M for him?

Or how about us not wanting to pay 16-18M for Welbeck, and Welbeck refusing our loan offer and joining the gooners? Sensible from the club to miss out for that money IMO.

Stam was clearly the Sandro replacement. I guess Levys mistake was not selling Sandro first then signing Stam at 9pm last night, to make everyone spunk in their pants for the very same signing..

People moaned about the defence....we signed 5 at the back

Moaned about a DM...we signed one

They said Soldado will come good, 20+ goals this season....it was Sherwood who messed him up.

No one is talking about Soldado anymore....
enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif
Agreed. I must add that it's a really good experience to try to cheer for a team that actually has to try and work its way in to the nations top league. Nothing comes for free and you are always something like 15th in the queue for talented players. Spurs is originally my second team-crush/love; not because they are super popular, super successful, super rich or anything like that. I support Spurs because the philosophy is sensible and way more rewarding if/when we have a good break in different competitions. Nothing is granted - everything is possible. You have to support the guys that play with their hearts and wish for the team to succeed even if the janitor is playing as a striker.

Some seem to be, but without a world class strike force I don't think we have a chance in hell even united now have falcao and we seem to be expecting to remain above them. I think we now have good defensive players but still have weaknesses up front plus as you say it's pochs first season so 5th and a good cup run would be a good achievement.

But thats my point. Chucking money at a team that isnt a team yet doesnt solve anything.

Coaching, stability, familiarity and players who know eachother, and understand their roles will serve us a lot better than being in the same situation but throwing a top striker on top of it.

The midfield still needs to knit, and when it does, we will create and score more.

On another day, Ade and Chadli would have both scored, the penalty wouldnt have been given, and right now we'd all be talking about winning the PL.

There is a major issue here; yes we could well have done with another striker but when Troy Deeney and Jordan Rhodes are valued by their clubs at more than £12m, then there does seem to be a dearth of strikers who are good enough, and not costing in excess of £20+m - more....and who are available.

Both of Benteke and Rodriguez would have been options but I can hardly imagine signing a player who might not return the same as they were previous to injury is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom