Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but to even invoke the names of Leeds and Portsmouth when the club are among the most revenue-generating on earth, and have PROFITED on transfers over the past 5 years is either just lazy or a purposeful obfuscation of the issues here. Tottenham aren't just not Leeds or Portsmouth, they aren't even within a Abramovich-ian spending spree of being Leeds or Portsmouth.

Beautiful words from Poch....its like he just took out his cock and slapped it across some of our fans silly little faces...

A manager who seems to really believe in our policy. Great to hear.

Why can't you have a sensible discussion and put your point across without reverting to silly schoolboy playground name calling?
You're not always right and other people are allowed their own point of view and opinion.

Just because people don't have the same view as yourself doesn't make them wrong or bad fans..

Haven't had a say yet (about this current window) but overall I'm am quite satisfied.
We trimmed down the squad, and we have for sure strengthened it.

If there's anything that I'm disappointed at, then it's the fact we didn't get a LW(F).
Before the window started, all that I wanted was a left-winger, which should've been a big priority. But for now, I'm willing to let it slide due to how Poch sets up the attacking midfield-three and that Jay Rod is a huge possibility in January.

Anyway for me, the best signings this Summer have been ... Hugo's contract extension and Poch's appointment. Levy for once, probably has finally made a proper Spursy hiring. And tying down Lloris with another deal is a big signal of intent, imo. I pretty much accepted that he was gonna leave for some bigger club, before that news.

Last edited:
Im sad that Sandro left as i feel when hes fit hes a big asset, and hes proven at this level. Not too fussed about Holtby as im not sure where his role would be for us, and we will make money on him leaving. Love Daws but his time was up and now was the right time to sell. Id have happily seen Townsend go as £12m would have been really good money for a winger who never looks up and provides no assists, or goals - but since hes here ill back him, just as i would anyone else in the shirt. Hopefully Poch can get him playing.

Inbounds i think weve done really well. Havent spent silly money on anyone, and we've bought in the right areas *except* left wing and striker. I think this is down to JRod being injured or that deal would have gotten done, fully expect that to happen in January.

As a whole the squad looks good, its one that will compete for 4th but obviously miss out and end up 5/6th. We cant afford to spunk £300k a week on a Falcao or whoever... Would have been nice to see us have a go for Bony but hey ho. Id still like to see Soldado with Chadli / Eriksen / Lamela behind him as they all have an eye for a pass and a one-two (and a goal) and use Ade for more physical games, Kane to come and partner Ade or Soldado when we need two up top.

Lets be honest this is mostly an over reaction to the Liverpool loss. If we'd taken our first half chances and/or they hadn't got a dodgy penalty we'd probably be hailing Levy as a genius. The fact is I doubt there are any strikers out there who would improve us, would want to come to us and we could justify there transfer fee. As it is we have 3 capable strikers for one position, more than enough competition.

Also just in response to some of the names of strikers being floated about

Bony - Good last season but is yet to even get an assist in Swansea's first three wins this season and commands a huge transfer fee for what is essentially a huge risk.
Welbeck - For £16 million is a huge gamble and even then too much money. plus I suspect wages were an issue.
Negredo - Firstly why would he even consider it? Two his wage demands would probably more than double our max wages.
Benteke and Jay Rod - Both have serious injury concerns and would be risky, plus if anything we'd need someone for the short term as we have Kane coming through so I don't see the point.
Remy - This one would of probably been a good signing. The big question mark is why his move to Liverpool fell through and I suspect whatever the reason it would of collapsed any move for us too.
Hernandez - Wouldn't be able to get close to his wage demands and why would he turn down Madrid for us?! Even if it is for their bench it doesn't compare.
Finally Lukaku - Firstly we have no idea if we did move for him but more importantly I suspect Chelsea would rather sell to Everton and I can't think of one reason why Lukaku should choose us over them either.

Anyway though 3 strikers is enough, otherwise Kane will be put to waste and we'll be left complaining about the lack of young players coming through our academy. Add onto that what I said at the start of this post and it does not surprise in the slightest that we have not signed a striker this window. In fact I agree with the logic behind it. I also think a solid defense is what you build your team on and we have certainly looked to be doing that.

So yes, I am happy with this window and I suspect the poll would say a little differently too if it was worded with a simple yes/no answer.

We played moneyball. Levy and a couple sat around a room looking over stats.
Two upgrades not dealt with. Left winger/forward and striker.
We also caught with not good enough HGP quality.
Definitely have to get JRod in Jan. Otherwise Broomfield and scouts need to find next two/three strikers from South America, Europe, Africa - they are out there. We can't afford top 4 striker so need to pick them up on the rise.

Why can't you have a sensible discussion and put your point across without reverting to silly schoolboy playground name calling?
You're not always right and other people are allowed their own point of view and opinion.

Just because people don't have the same view as yourself doesn't make them wrong or bad fans..
Pochs views have made some people look extremely silly imo.....you think what you want, I´ll think what I want

Pochs views have made some people look extremely silly imo.....you think what you want, I´ll think what I want
You have no idea what Poch`s views are you bumbling idiot. He`s hardley gonna start calling his new employers a bunch of ham fisted cunts on the OS is he. Hell baby, your so naive its unreal.

You have no idea what Poch`s views are you bumbling idiot. He`s hardley gonna start calling his new employers a bunch of ham fisted cunts on the OS is he. Hell baby, your so naive its unreal.

In Poch we trust.....unless he says something that slaps my views in the face.....then hes just toeing the party line......but if he says something I agree with......In poch we trust......

Out of those I think Depay was the only realistic choice, even though most of them would have improved us. Hernandez wouldn't have suited our style and has now gone to sit on the bench at Madrid. Griezmann and Muniain are both playing Champions League and Negredo has been injured for pretty much the whole of pre-season...

Agree on Negredo but we've been linked to death with J-Rod which would've been even more ridiculous

I don't think the answer is yes or no. On a whole, I think we do a good job. But the problem with Levy is everything seems to come with a caveat.

• He's done well on the business side but he's reduced supporters to a client reference number and through cheapness tried to move use to Stratford and legalized touting.
  • He's done well to improve the football side but his meddling and lack of patience have created a culture of uncertainty and constant turnover at the club that makes the football worse.
  • He's done well in the transfer market but he seems to lack a sense of when we need to stop cutting corners in spending and just really go for it to solidify ourselves in the top class of the league.
I think the reason the whole thing is so frustrating is that it always seems like we're so close to having a really great thing at the club but that Levy always fails to deliver in the final step that would drive us to glory we crave. Because of that, I don't think yes or no is the right answer to the question. In regards to the smaller scope of just this transfer window, I don't think we had a bad one but it is hard to deny in the world of £90m from just the TV contract that is was an exceedingly cautious window.

Excellent post, succinctly highlights exactly where we have failed to capitalise on opportunities to progress - each time we missed our chance it has only increased the challenge further as others massively spend their way out of trouble ASAP.

Some think that nobody should be accountable for this, that we shouldn't as fans be disappointed or angry about it and, we should all just be grateful to exist and know our place is 6th so must be mega happy with 5th. It is a losers attitude!

Excellent post, succinctly highlights exactly where we have failed to capitalise on opportunities to progress - each time we missed our chance it has only increased the challenge further as others massively spend their way out of trouble ASAP.

Some think that nobody should be accountable for this, that we shouldn't as fans be disappointed or angry about it and, we should all just be grateful to exist and know our place is 6th so must be mega happy with 5th. It is a losers attitude!

Do you think Poch has been lied to/let down over signings?
And is unhappy with the squad and thinks the club lacks ambition?

Some people must feel really shitty about this season, all of three games in.

Im glad Im among the rest, looking forward to it, and the positive sounds coming from the manager.

I guess some people simply enjoy the misery.

Agreed, quality striker who bags goals - why would we need that

Probably wouldn't have minded him as an impact sub (Better option that Defoe/Kane I suppose) but as a starter? I'm not so sure. Didn't get a start for Mexico in the World Cup. Would say he's similar in style to Soldado and thrives off service in the box, something which seems to be difficult for some of our players to grasp at times.

However, if we were going to play 4-4-2 and have him off a big man (Ade) things would be different I suspect.

Some people must feel really shitty about this season, all of three games in.

Im glad Im among the rest, looking forward to it, and the positive sounds coming from the manager.

I guess some people simply enjoy the misery.

I am still buzzing for the season. We have a good, very young squad. If we can develop a couple more of our own through the season and then address some gaps in January then we can compete on all fronts.

Besiktas is a great tie for the Europa League groups. Exciting.

Forrest in the cup is great as well.

Sunderland away next, very winnable game that could put us on 9 points from 4 games.

Liverpool, City and Woolwich have all dropped points to poor clubs. We lost to the team that came second last year. Not an ish.

Liverpool will find it more difficult when they are playing madrid mid week then the league on sat. Tough test for their squad.

United are shit.

Woolwich are a couple of key injuries away from a long season.

Chelsea will probably walk it. City close behind.

Everton bought well, but are no stronger than last year.

4th is attainable but will be tough. Europa league is winnable, as are both cups.

Actually, yes. I think he has been let down over signings. But before you start frothing all over your keyboard, this is only my opinion. I don`t know 100%. Its an opinion. It`s what I imagine to be the case. Get it. In my opinion, Poch` probably feels let down in his first transfer window. Just as Harry and Andre were also let down on numerous occasions. My opinion.

Back
Top Bottom