Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

350th career if H starts today.
  • Kane has scored nine league goals - a 10th would see him become just the fourth Englishman to reach double figures in seven consecutive Premier League campaigns.
  • Harry Kane has had 10 assists in this season's top flight, more than any other player.
  • Eight of those assists have been for Son Heung-min - one more would equal the Premier League record for most assists for a team-mate in a season, set by Blackburn's Mike Newell (for Alan Shearer in 1995-96) and Liverpool's Stan Collymore (for Robbie Fowler, also in 1995-96).

Although the wording is ambiguous, I do not believe that one judge ranked all of these players above Kane.

They are just names that various judges ranked above Harry Kane.
That's my reading too. And I don't think it's ambiguous.

Wild list tho.

Kane is now 5th (just behind Hojbjerg) for minutes played for club and country this season. I know at this rate every match has a way of being 'the most important' one, but Jose's really tempting fate if he doesn't find a way to give Kane some rest.

1) Andrew Robertson, Liverpool, 2283
2) Ruben Dias, Manchester City, 2274
3) Georginio Wijnaldum, Liverpool, 2242
4) Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg, Spurs, 2174
5) Harry Kane, Spurs, 2115
6) Timo Werner, Chelsea, 2113
7) Youri Tielemans, Leicester, 2111
8) Rodri, Manchester City, 2068
9) Harry Maguire, Manchester United, 2011
10) Eric Dier, Spurs, 1999
It's perversely amusing to see that Jose has fallen into exactly the same pattern as Poch. It doesn't matter that Jose doesn't seem to share Poch's sentimental streak or that there's now a theoretical backup for Kane in the wings, Kane will start until he dies out on the pitch. :p

I think Jose started with the earnest intent of rotating and not making the same mistakes as Poch, but eventually learned why Poch came to depend so heavily on Kane. I think it's the trap of having a world class player who so obviously and consistently elevates the team: the temptation to rely on him for "just one more match" is too strong to resist (until it happens again the next match).

With Jose's cold pragmatism, I doubt he'd be starting Kane in every game if he had confidence in Vinicius to do the same job. Of course, Jose gets to see the two every day in training in order to judge -- we don't get that luxury. For all we know Vinicius might be progressing well, but, in Jose's defence, while this Spurs team is seriously in the mix for every award and Kane is its most important player, it's going to be very hard for any manager to justify swapping Kane out for a lesser player and relative novice.

I could easily imagine that if I were a manager, I'd fall into the trap of overplaying Kane too. I wouldn't like to put a number on it but the percentage improvement you get in this team with Kane in it compared to out of it is big (maybe bigger than it ideally should be for a single player tbh).

Ok so a 3-4-1-2 system doesn't suit him, leaves him too far forward, and he ends up isolated

You get the best out of him when he's given the freedom to drop deep

BUT he was still really average today...

worst game in a spurs shirt imo. took too long on the ball every time and looked lethargic and not bothered.
I just can't see him ever not wanting to perform on a football pitch. I think tiredness (top 5 most minutes in the league of any player this season; it's back to Poch-style overdependence) and the need to conserve energy to not tire himself out even more for upcoming games is the most obvious explanation for his lethargy.

It must be so stressful to be exhausted, relied upon to make things happen, and still acutely aware that you're going to have to do it all again in a few days.

I think he is getting pissed, as is Son, that they are defending more than they are attacking.

This is most likely the last season we have with this man and it is going to be wasted as a defender in his own box.
You think him and son are getting pissed off with tactics therfore are playing very badly on purpose because of defensive duties and trying to force a move?

Back
Top Bottom