Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got it, apologies thought you were trying to say we hadn't got external funding in for the stadium when quite clearly we have!
Key difference is that City is run for immediate success.
ENIC are an investment company looking to increase the capital value of the club to make a buck.
Either way...we are both stinking rich and spending billions...!

One is spending blood money; we are spending self generated revenue.

This shit is laughable....... We have half a fanbase that hate our ownership because they don't spend their own cash; yet THIS is your argument?

Bollocks..... I don't want that shit in my club anymore than I want it poluting rest of the game.

Move on City-boy..... The jig is up.
You raise an interesting point here though.

If a billionaire oil state did invest in spurs and buy the best players on mega bucks, would you no longer support Spurs?

Because like it or not that is what the club would have become. Something you hate

We just have to accept that City got lucky. Chelsea got lucky when Abramovic came, should have been Spurs. There is no point hurling abuse at these clubs. We would accept their owners with their investment at the drop of a hat, if they turned up at Spurs.

Sorry, nope. I can’t speak for everyone, but I wouldn’t accept owners like those.
If owners like that came in that’s when I become an armchair fan and only follow Spurs via Match of the Day. At that point I’d increase my support in my local non-league teams and invest my time/money with them rather than Spurs.

We just have to accept that City got lucky. Chelsea got lucky when Abramovic came, should have been Spurs. There is no point hurling abuse at these clubs. We would accept their owners with their investment at the drop of a hat, if they turned up at Spurs.

Bollocks... Stop tarring everyone with your shitty brush.....

You've massively missed the point. As per your outlook; if you eradicated the foreign fan-base(*) of every club including ours; we'd be in great shape.

(*Not suggesting we do; as long as they're supportive and fully COYS... Then they're all part of the tribe.)
How have I missed the point? I didn't say removing foreign fans would make us better. I was merely stating that fan bases are now global for top clubs, and that the more remote they are geographically then often (but not always) they are less loyal as fans to that club.
If fanbases are a measure of how big a club is then it is relevant to the discussion.
I think perhaps you missed the point I was making

Henry Hotspur Henry Hotspur has a view about what constitutes a big club and I beg differ

No buggy and no abuse

So far…….

:mourpoint:

Personally speaking, for me a big club is based largely on their fanbase. Certainly more than trophies won, as trophies can be bought to a large extent. I see the likes of Aston Villa and Leeds as bigger clubs than Man City to be honest.

The game has changed. Millionaire owners are being replaced by billionaires. Ridiculous sums for players and wages astronomical, meanwhile fans still have to pay heavily to see a game.
The new money has changed clubs. We do not know who will be the next one to be bought and heavily invested in. But I don’t think their fans will be disappointed whoever they are. I think they will be of the mindset it’s their lucky day.
Meanwhile we can’t be sounding off through jealousy.

It's not jealousy.... As politely as I can muster at this point; fuck off...... Don't judge me or others by your own (lack of) standards.

Wouldn't sit at all well with me. I haven't given a penny to anything Murdoch since the Wapping dispute and I wouldn't give a penny to Spurs if I thought they were run by anything similar to Mansour.

I'd still be a fan of the team - can't do anything about that - but they wouldn't get my cash.

You raise an interesting point here though.

If a billionaire oil state did invest in spurs and buy the best players on mega bucks, would you no longer support Spurs?

Because like it or not that is what the club would have become. Something you hate

The post you have replied to should be perfectly clear on that front.

How have I missed the point? I didn't say removing foreign fans would make us better. I was merely stating that fan bases are now global for top clubs, and that the more remote they are geographically then often (but not always) they are less loyal as fans to that club.
If fanbases are a measure of how big a club is then it is relevant to the discussion.
I think perhaps you missed the point I was making

I know you didn't...... I'm pointing out the fact that we at a core level we are less reliant on foreign fans than most.... Ergo making a point about size.

When people keep spouting jealously that’s a nonsense argument. Am I jealous of United and Liverpool for their success, yes to a degree I am, I will even hold my hand up to feeling jealous at Woolwich during the peak Wenger years. I am jealous because their achievement is real, yes there was some money but it wasn’t the basis of success.

United - Fergie was something else and they got lucky with the class of 92.

Liverpool - they sold Coutinho and Suarez for mega bucks and bought well with VVD and Alisson.

Woolwich - building on the great defensive work of George Graham providing the base Wenger brought in what was then radical changes in style and diet.

Chelsea and City have been buy, buy, buy, buy, buy. It’s like a 100m runner with steroids, there ain’t any glory in it. That why other fans don’t care when they win things but do give a shit when Leicester or even Liverpool win stuff.

100 million for Kane?

At 28, top scorer and 3 years on his contract.

Calling Mork from Ork, come in Orson.

I think you need to take your Spurs goggles off. I’m not saying I would have been delighted with 100 (and as I said I would have revised that up a bit after they paid 100m for Grealish) I would have liked as much as possible, but for would have taken that if it was the best on offer.

28 isn’t 24 or 25 or even 26 or 27. Whoever buys him is getting what 3 or so years of decent (but still past peak) Kane, with very little sell on.

What do we get next summer for a 29yo? Next summer when 22yo Halaand will cost 80m or 22yo Mbappe will cost nothing?

RM have just offered 160m Eu for that 22yo Mbappe.

Kane cost us nothing. That 100m is all bonus. In a season where we are getting no CL money and have lost 150m or so on stadium being empty. There are a bunch of players, in this market we could have spent that money on. Todibo, Sangare, Stengs, Kessie (just off the top of my head) and still had 50m left over to spend.

So now we still need two RB’s, a CB, a couple of CM’s, and a couple of attackers.

That 100m, if used wisely could have very much helped us rebuild.

When people keep spouting jealously that’s a nonsense argument. Am I jealous of United and Liverpool for their success, yes to a degree I am, I will even hold my hand up to feeling jealous at Woolwich during the peak Wenger years. I am jealous because their achievement is real, yes there was some money but it wasn’t the basis of success.

United - Fergie was something else and they got lucky with the class of 92.

Liverpool - they sold Coutinho and Suarez for mega bucks and bought well with VVD and Alisson.

Woolwich - building on the great defensive work of George Graham providing the base Wenger brought in what was then radical changes in style and diet.

Chelsea and City have been buy, buy, buy, buy, buy. It’s like a 100m runner with steroids, there ain’t any glory in it. That why other fans don’t care when they win things but do give a shit when Leicester or even Liverpool win stuff.
Chelsea have won the CL twice. They buy sell and buy players. Their net spend is not much. Other fans are happy when Leicester wins because they serve as a role model to smaller clubs but definitely not Liverpool.

Kane had already told Nuno on Wednesday morning that he would stay, finally drawing a line under an interminable saga.

But the basic facts of the saga are as follows:

Levy was furious with the way that Kane had tried to bounce him into the move at the end of last season

Manchester City offered five players in May and £75m plus £25m in June, and made no further bids

City were prepared to pay a fixed £100m plus £20-or-so million in add-ons but Levy refused to negotiate

Spurs fined Kane two weeks’ wages for delaying his return to training

With City and Spurs not talking since late July the move had been dead for weeks despite Kane’s hopes

Part of Levy’s position was coldly rational. He knew that this would be a bad market in which to sell a top player, and that Tottenham would always be better off keeping Kane for at least one more year. By the end of next season Tottenham would either have improved their situation enough to convince Kane to stay long-term, or they could sell him in a more buoyant market for at least as much as they were offered in 2021. The fact that City’s only cash bid for Kane was £75million up front with another £25m of add-ons has effectively proven Levy right. There was nothing to be gained from selling this summer.

The other part of Levy’s insistence on keeping Kane was personal. Levy felt deeply affronted by the conduct of Kane and his family throughout this process, from the leaking of Kane’s desire to leave and the Neville interview right at the climax of Spurs’ season, through to Kane’s unauthorised absence from pre-season training at the start of this month (which cost Kane two weeks’ wages.) Levy saw this as a challenge to his authority, which made him even more keen not to get pushed around. Maybe with a more delicate approach Kane might have succeeded, but Levy was insistent from early on he would not be giving in.

On Monday 9 August, Paratici held a three-hour meeting with Kane, during which Kane repeatedly reiterated his own desire to leave, and Paratici made clear the club would not be selling.

No one from the City hierarchy discussed the signing of Kane with Spurs when they were at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium that Sunday afternoon. Levy’s stonewall tactics, refusing to even negotiate with City or pick up the phone, appeared to have worked.

Even though plenty of junior staff at City believed that Kane was on his way to the club, the reality was that it was never truly on the cards.

You'll have to subscribe to the athletic to read more.

Chelsea have won the CL twice. They buy sell and buy players. Their net spend is not much. Other fans are happy when Leicester wins because they serve as a role model to smaller clubs but definitely not Liverpool.

Abramovich has pumped over a £1bn into Chelsea for players and this is not even going into wages.

Back
Top Bottom