Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sarah Winterburn and her salty tears...

Morata? Belotti? Just go big and flash for Harry... - Football365

• Forbes rich list, Manchester United are worth £2.86bn; Tottenham are worth £821m.

Five years ago, had the latter, poverty-stricken (in comparison) club boasted the Premier League’s most prolific striker, who had won two successive Golden Boots and proved himself rather more than a one- or two-season wonder, Sir Alex Ferguson would have made absolutely damned sure that the player in question either became a Manchester United footballer or was at least knocked worryingly off his stride like the tired steeplechaser who catches the final hurdle.

He would have promised £200,000 a week where there was £100,000 a week, first place where there was second place, a cabinet full of trophies where there was none. Ferguson would have criss-crossed the line between charm and bullying until he got what he wanted. Robin van Persie was reluctant but ultimately powerless in 2013; he left the club and manager he loved and yet he would never regret his decision. The streets of Manchester were – as promised – paved with gold.

As Ferguson watches on in the summer of 2017 as United are reportedly told that the price for Real Madrid substitute Alvaro Morata is £78m and that Andrea Belotti would cost even more, is he not saying the words “just bloody go for Harry Kane” over and over again. What is the point in being the richest club in the world if you cannot make an uncomfortably large offer for the leading striker in the Premier League? What’s the point of being worth £2.86bn if you are not willing to bid £100m (or 3.5% of your worth) for the prolific striker you desperately need? Be brash, be boorish, be the rich kid who thinks they can buy anything and anybody with money.

The eye-watering figures may now be much bigger but Ferguson was accused of overpaying for Van Persie and for Dimitar Berbatov before him; did he care or did he just add shiny trophies to an already greedy collection? Were he still in charge, he would be sanctioning three-figure bids to remind Tottenham that they may have finished second and they may play ‘better’ football but lads, it’s still only Tottenham.

The bids would likely fail – at least this summer with season tickets to sell for Wembley – but even the most loyal of footballers would start to daydream of a different life, especially if the season does not start at a canter, or if other teammates leave, or if fans get impatient when you start the season slowly. Kane does not look like the kind of man to let questions whirl around his head at night, but ‘somebody was going to pay £100m for little old me’ is a pretty powerful thought to shift.

So why are we hearing about Morata (far better than some sniffy Manchester United fans would suggest but still lacking the pedigree to suggest he can lead the line) and Belotti (promising but still has only 18 prolific months to justify his extortionate fee) but very little of Kane, who has scored a ridiculous number of goals over three seasons in England? Why has that trail gone quiet when United should be screaming ‘we’re bigger than you’?

It’s unfathomable that anybody would think that Manchester United could somehow do better than Kane, so why not very publicly and very brazenly give him and his chairman something to ponder? Make Daniel Levy visualise how much of a stadium that money could buy. Make Kane visualise himself lifting a trophy. Create doubts, create fear, create a sense of inevitability that United can become a force again.

Sarah Winterburn
Fuck off Winterburn. Whoever you are.

What kind of utter garbage is that?
Fan fiction.
The revisionism over the Van Persie transfer is hilarious. He moved from a stagnant Woolwich team (albeit with CL football) to Fergie's United: i.e. not playing horrendously and finishing outside the top four 2 out 3 years. He certainly wanted to, and required no bullying.

Then he went to shit within two seasons and was cast aside.

I'm of the opinion that Harry should be our captain - no disrespect to Hugo - but I've always felt that an outfield player should be wearing the armband.
There are some great Goalkeeper Captians like Castillas, Buffon, Zoff, Shilton. More than any person in our team Lloris allways strikes the right note in his post match comments and appears to be the only player who is able to articulate Poch's philosophy, to a point that he is almost poetic, he is also fully committed to it, bought into it hook line and sinker which for a player of his experience will no doubt has helped Poch instil it in everyone else. He is also the most experienced player in our squad.

When you have Vertonghen, Alderweirled, Dier, Rose, Walker and Kane all having worn the armband previously we are building a team of Captains.

The dynamic of this team feels right, it's often pointed out there are no flashy ego's in this side, it's inclusive and tight knit. The Captain has an important role in helping achieve this. I'd say Lloris's part in this is vital.

Another way to look at it is, name one case where his Captaincy has been a detriment to this team.

I'm of the opinion that Harry should be our captain - no disrespect to Hugo - but I've always felt that an outfield player should be wearing the armband.

Hugo should keep the armband as long as he's with us. I think that Kane's personality and standing in the club makes him a captain even without the armband. This way we have two leaders, one having his status derived partly from the armband, the other from just being himself, one leading from the back, the other from the front.

There are some great Goalkeeper Captians like Castillas, Buffon, Zoff, Shilton. More than any person in our team Lloris allways strikes the right note in his post match comments and appears to be the only player who is able to articulate Poch's philosophy, to a point that he is almost poetic, he is also fully committed to it, bought into it hook line and sinker which for a player of his experience will no doubt has helped Poch instil it in everyone else. He is also the most experienced player in our squad.

When you have Vertonghen, Alderweirled, Dier, Rose, Walker and Kane all having worn the armband previously we are building a team of Captains.

The dynamic of this team feels right, it's often pointed out there are no flashy ego's in this side, it's inclusive and tight knit. The Captain has an important role in helping achieve this. I'd say Lloris's part in this is vital.

Another way to look at it is, name one case where his Captaincy has been a detriment to this team.

Well put

Kane finally responds to Lukaku’s critical comments
Date published: Friday 9th June 2017 5:20

GettyImages.684671272.jpg

Harry Kane has refused to be drawn into any controversy regarding comments made by Romelu Lukaku in March.

Lukaku was asked about his Premier League rival three months ago before Everton and Tottenham faced in a game Spurs would win 3-2.

The Belgian scored once in that fixture as Kane scored twice, but it was Lukaku’s comments beforehand that caught the eye for many.

“I don’t look at other players if they aren’t going to teach me anything,” he said, in reference to Kane.

“If I don’t have the feeling that you aren’t going to teach me something, why should I look at you?

“That is the thing that I have. I work on my aspects. I am focused on Everton and what I am doing. That is my focus.”

When asked about those quotes on Friday, Kane replied: “I saw some stuff on Twitter, Spurs fans having my back.

“It is what it is. Lukaku’s a fantastic player. We went to the wire with the golden boot.

“Obviously as strikers, it’s always that kind of little battle. That’s his opinion. In my opinion, he’s a great player and I’ll always feel that way.”

Harry Kane has refused to be drawn into any controversy regarding comments made by Romelu Lukaku in March.

Lukaku was asked about his Premier League rival three months ago before Everton and Tottenham faced in a game Spurs would win 3-2.

The Belgian scored once in that fixture as Kane scored twice, but it was Lukaku’s comments beforehand that caught the eye for many.

“I don’t look at other players if they aren’t going to teach me anything,” he said, in reference to Kane.

“If I don’t have the feeling that you aren’t going to teach me something, why should I look at you?

“That is the thing that I have. I work on my aspects. I am focused on Everton and what I am doing. That is my focus.”

When asked about those quotes on Friday, Kane replied: “I saw some stuff on Twitter, Spurs fans having my back.

“It is what it is. Lukaku’s a fantastic player. We went to the wire with the golden boot.

“Obviously as strikers, it’s always that kind of little battle. That’s his opinion. In my opinion, he’s a great player and I’ll always feel that way.”

Not only a better goalscorer and footballer, but also a better man.

He can teach you plenty, lil' Rom.

I fucking love Kane. As has been said, what a fantastic role model.

I hope he spends his career at Spurs, then gets a Spurs ambassador role like the King.

I would nosh him off every day, if it meant that happened.

Lukako is not half the man Kane is, and that's on Harry's bad day.

So proud to see him captain the national team today, Harry is a rare breed, a football without the tats or haircut, just a honest, down to earth lad. It is a privilege to be a Spurs supporter with him as our player.

Back
Top Bottom