Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Skipp's not been anywhere near convincing when he's played. We should buy an elite midfielder rather than playing sub par, average players simply because they are academy products.

Trusting youth is not some magical path to success or the top teams wouldn't have so few homegrown products starting.

Skipp needs a loan.

I said '"in the meantime" and mentioned 2 players; one a senior with a track record .

Not saying it's ideal but neither is our predicament and we can't just "magic" the trf window open either.

Lo Celso definitely not. Don’t think Ndombele is able to carry the ball in the same way.

Of course, the point is probably that you *cant* replace Dembele. There aren’t many midfielders like him out there. It’s why our midfield looks so shocking at the moment as he provided all our balance and single handedly took care of our transition.

LoCelso (Sissoko) / DM (Dier/Skipp) / Ndombele (Winks)

....Dembele was a dribbling god. Who would you suggest then? Much like when we lost Modric a like for like replacement isn't always possible thus you must evolve.

LoCelso (Sissoko) / DM (Dier/Skipp) / Ndombele (Winks)

....Dembele was a dribbling god. Who would you suggest then? Much like when we lost Modric a like for like replacement isn't always possible thus you must evolve.

Mate, no idea! Hard enough to keep up with our games. I won’t pretend to watch enough of other leagues to know who we need.

I actually thought Ndombele would be able to sit a little deeper, but he’s more attacking than I realised.

First and foremost we need to work out if we’re building a back four or a back five and then develop the appropriate midfield. If it’s a 4/3/3 with Ndombele and Lo Celso then we’ll need a proper DM who can move the ball forward.

He was one of our best in pre-season. Agree, he was shit against Colchester. Not sure if he’s started since?

Not sure on the loan front. At some point we’re just going to have to give him a run of games.
Think Skipp is more defensively minded than Winks and has a better chance of being our future DM, but he's still far too underdeveloped physically to be anywhere near first choice at the moment.

We missed an absolutely monumental opportunity in the Summer by not signing Idrissa Gueye from Everton. He was an absolute steal for PSG and is exactly what we need.

Think Skipp is more defensively minded than Winks and has a better chance of being our future DM, but he's still far too underdeveloped physically to be anywhere near first choice at the moment.

We missed an absolutely monumental opportunity in the Summer by not signing Idrissa Gueye from Everton. He was an absolute steal for PSG and is exactly what we need.

Thing with Gueye his move was driven by PSG's interest combined with his contract winding down rather than Everton having a desire to get rid. PSG were being talked about as his assumed new club before the season had even ended.

Can't remember the guy's name now but there 'can't believe no-one's bought him yet' DM who's name dominated the trf thread for much of the summer who went to an Italian also-ran for 12m.... From what I watched at the time he looked like a great option. EDIT: Diarwa

Last edited:
He was bang average again. He categorically cannot play on the opposition half. Clueless. He looks good for England against conference quality opponents.

Would love to see someone like Skipp get given the chances Winks does.

Poch’s biggest mistake this season, imv persisting with Winks in leiu of Ndombele - a painfully average player who offers virtually zero both offensively and defensively. Him and Sissoko has been our weakest CM pairing in a decade or more. No surprise our best results this season have come when he hasn’t been on the pitch. Useful player to bring on last 20 when we need to keep the score but he’s not good enough to start.

Even on Sunday when Tanguy came on the difference in passing ability in the final third was astonishing. Please Poch - do the logical thing

I so want him to be a success for us, as he will run through brick walls for us, but it pains me to admit it, he is limited and not someone who will move us on. He's caught between not excelling in either a defensive or attacking midfield role, so you have to ask, what does he add? Such a shame, as he is such a lovely lad, but don't think he has that ruthless streak that you need to make it to the top.

He reminds me very much of the much heralded and similarly average Vinny Sammways/Sideways.
In his defence he was our best player in CL final but long term he is not the player to occupy such a pivotal position in the team.

when he came into the team he had a positive approach to his game (turned & pushed forward), not saying he was top class but he did show something, but I think Poch has moved him further back and asked him to play a DM role, Winks will never be strong enough to be a DM (that's not about size its about how you use your power) he also does not sense danger so wastes energy running to where he needs to be (instead of drifting there in natural flow of the game)
maybe if paired with a true DM he could get back to that positive player he was

I so want him to be a success for us, as he will run through brick walls for us, but it pains me to admit it, he is limited and not someone who will move us on. He's caught between not excelling in either a defensive or attacking midfield role, so you have to ask, what does he add? Such a shame, as he is such a lovely lad, but don't think he has that ruthless streak that you need to make it to the top.
Sadly its not being ruthless but does not have the ability to be a top player consistently.
The central midfield is at its weakest for way over a decade.

I don't like all the hate this lad is getting as he is one of our own!!
Personally think the managers at fault for the way he's setting us up at the moment.

Think Winks is ok, however when played in the middle alongside Sissoko they offer not a great deal going forward. This wouldn’t be so apparent if the likes of Dele and Eriksen were playing well. Think our midfield pair should be N’Dombele plus either Winks or Sissoko

Think Winks is ok, however when played in the middle alongside Sissoko they offer not a great deal going forward. This wouldn’t be so apparent if the likes of Dele and Eriksen were playing well. Think our midfield pair should be N’Dombele plus either Winks or Sissoko
Sissoko hasn't hit the heights of last season (no one has) should really be an option off the bench in the near future and build the midfield around Ndomblele and winks plus a DM.

Just don’t think the centre midfield partnership of Sissoko and Winks is good enough. Got to be the weakest partnership we have had in years. Great squad players no doubt, but they are both not good enough to be starting week in week out. We need to desperately sign a top quality defensive midfielder and partner him with NDombele in the middle. Give NDombele the freedom to roam forward.

Back
Top Bottom