Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As an old cunt, I'm going to go back to the 80s, when I used to go to Spurs quite a bit. I lived in Hackney, I was piss poor for a lot of the time (and a fair bit of my meagre disposable income went on on wine, women and Class B, so I'm not going to claim to be a regular, although it was always the Park Lane end of the Shelf for me back in the day).

These were the days of a Perryman-Ardiles central midfield. Magnificent, we've never seen two legends like that together since (and probably hadn't since Blanchflower and Mackay). The point of this post is that no one wondered why they didn't score more goals, or moan when they passed the ball backwards. There in the ground you could see what they did and the whole ground loved them. If they were missing (be that through injury, suspension or just a poor game) you noticed it.

I saw tons of games where either one or the other didn't have a noticeable "TV style" impact on the game but you still knew they were a key part in everything else that was happening. Just see how Glenn talks about them, and they about him.

(As a quick aside, I'd like to mention that not everybody was fully aboard the Hoddle-As-Genius bus. There used to be a lot of moaning about him in the early 80s on the terraces, "Glenda", "Doesn't get stuck in" and so forth. Perhaps other old schoolers can confirm this.)

I'm not suggesting for a second that Winks is the new Stevie or Ossie, god forbid, just that it strikes me that tidy central midfielders who kept the ball moving, who generally found better placed team mates, who did their best to cover their defence, who passed back when they wanted to stretch the opposition and all that were more recognised back then.

Younguns - watch a full game or extended highlights from those days. See how often these players trapped the ball, looked around and played a simple pass sideways or even - GOD NO, backwards - to a team mate.

See also: David Howells (who got a fair bit of grief too, often unjustifiably so). Maybe it's to do with greater TV coverage and the balance between the opinions of those at the ground and those watching on the box having shifted.

Like Howells, Harry Winks is Tottenham in ways we can only dream about. Is he the new Osvaldo Ardiles? Of course not, he'd be the first to admit that. Is he a versatile, dependable midfielder who managers love because he does what they tell him to, to the best of his abilities? Certainly.

Is he currently better than Højbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele in his current form? No. Can he play a hugely valuable part in covering those players? Yes of course. Will he fuck up massively in doing so? Unlikely.

The worst he'll be is steady, unspectacular, pim-pam, keeping the ball moving, making pretty intelligent decisions based on how he sees the game in front of him. That's more than fine with me.

Rant over

:kanegoal:
Good post

I can confirm the odd ‘Glenda’ remark made by cunts who hadn’t a clue
Also David Howells got some stick too some calling him a ‘two Bob’ player and others calling Chris Armstrong the same
Fenwick earlier too

But as I said in an earlier post nothing like the rants from certain fair weather fans of today as typified by some of the absolute crap posted on this Forum by certain posters about certain players

You know who I’m talking about
The obsessed!!

We all have a moan occasionally as we get disappointed and I’m as guilty as most
I don’t rate Aurier, Sanchez or Davies for example but occasionally they do a job and while Jose picks and plays them and they wear our shirt then I will support them

Keane ripping into Ireland must be his way of highlighting what an utterly shocking and negligent job he and Martin O'Neill did while in charge. They were such pussies and allowed grealish and rice to look elsewhere. If they had shown one drop of ambition and trust in younger players then those guys would have been capped long ago. Now we have a manager trying to play better football but with really average players. So Roy can fuck off, he is majorly culpable for allowing the best prospects to walk away. Dickheads
The only thing that could make us worse is if we had Winks in the team 🤭
This has made me crack up lol. Thanks!

Good post

I can confirm the odd ‘Glenda’ remark made by cunts who hadn’t a clue
Also David Howells got some stick too some calling him a ‘two Bob’ player and others calling Chris Armstrong the same
Fenwick earlier too

But as I said in an earlier post nothing like the rants from certain fair weather fans of today as typified by some of the absolute crap posted on this Forum by certain posters about certain players

The obsessed!!

We all have a moan occasionally as we get disappointed and I’m as guilty as most
I don’t rate Aurier, Sanchez or Davies for example but occasionally they do a job and while Jose picks and plays them and they wear our shirt then I will support them
Fucking right. It's not as fine of a line between criticism and abuse as some make it out to be. Calling Winks or Sissoko "useless fucking twats who should never wear lily-white again" is not the same as " God, winks and sissoko in midfield again...this will be ugly".

Admittedly the last can be a bit tiring as well after repeated twenty times in the match thread.

Fucking right. It's not as fine of a line between criticism and abuse as some make it out to be. Calling Winks or Sissoko "useless fucking twats who should never wear lily-white again" is not the same as " God, winks and sissoko in midfield again...this will be ugly".

Admittedly the last can be a bit tiring as well after repeated twenty times in the match thread.
Absolutely but then it gets taken to other threads but they’re not obsessed
No siree!

This has made me crack up lol. Thanks!
Ah in fairness, while I'm no major fan of Winks at spurs, I'd love to have him play for Ireland. Jeff Hendrick is currently our best midfielder and there's not much else in the squad. Winks would be a good step up in terms of quality. Hopefully Parrott can stop breaking and stop hanging around with tossers, he's the light at the end of a loooooooonnngggg tunnel

Who the fuck are calling fair-weather ?

as typified by some of the absolute crap posted on this Forum by certain posters about certain players

I've backed up extensively my opinions. Have you?

The obsessed!!

And yet you're the one bringing Sissoko and me into another thread.
Obsessed?

Yeah, you are, so stop fucking bitching about others you fucking hypocrite.

Who the fuck are calling fair-weather ?

I've backed up extensively my opinions. Have you?

And yet you're the one bringing Sissoko and me into another thread.
Obsessed?

Yeah, you are, so stop fucking bitching about others you fucking hypocrite.
No I won’t and try to post when you’re sober

You’re talking more shite than usual if that’s possible

As an old cunt, I'm going to go back to the 80s, when I used to go to Spurs quite a bit. I lived in Hackney, I was piss poor for a lot of the time (and a fair bit of my meagre disposable income went on on wine, women and Class B, so I'm not going to claim to be a regular, although it was always the Park Lane end of the Shelf for me back in the day).

These were the days of a Perryman-Ardiles central midfield. Magnificent, we've never seen two legends like that together since (and probably hadn't since Blanchflower and Mackay). The point of this post is that no one wondered why they didn't score more goals, or moan when they passed the ball backwards. There in the ground you could see what they did and the whole ground loved them. If they were missing (be that through injury, suspension or just a poor game) you noticed it.

I saw tons of games where either one or the other didn't have a noticeable "TV style" impact on the game but you still knew they were a key part in everything else that was happening. Just see how Glenn talks about them, and they about him.

(As a quick aside, I'd like to mention that not everybody was fully aboard the Hoddle-As-Genius bus. There used to be a lot of moaning about him in the early 80s on the terraces, "Glenda", "Doesn't get stuck in" and so forth. Perhaps other old schoolers can confirm this.)

I'm not suggesting for a second that Winks is the new Stevie or Ossie, god forbid, just that it strikes me that tidy central midfielders who kept the ball moving, who generally found better placed team mates, who did their best to cover their defence, who passed back when they wanted to stretch the opposition and all that were more recognised back then.

Younguns - watch a full game or extended highlights from those days. See how often these players trapped the ball, looked around and played a simple pass sideways or even - GOD NO, backwards - to a team mate.

See also: David Howells (who got a fair bit of grief too, often unjustifiably so). Maybe it's to do with greater TV coverage and the balance between the opinions of those at the ground and those watching on the box having shifted.

Like Howells, Harry Winks is Tottenham in ways we can only dream about. Is he the new Osvaldo Ardiles? Of course not, he'd be the first to admit that. Is he a versatile, dependable midfielder who managers love because he does what they tell him to, to the best of his abilities? Certainly.

Is he currently better than Højbjerg, Lo Celso, Ndombele in his current form? No. Can he play a hugely valuable part in covering those players? Yes of course. Will he fuck up massively in doing so? Unlikely.

The worst he'll be is steady, unspectacular, pim-pam, keeping the ball moving, making pretty intelligent decisions based on how he sees the game in front of him. That's more than fine with me.

Rant over

:kanegoal:

Brilliant post.

Also could add that he is a HG legally speaking, and a one of our own from a football club perspective.

He doesn't need to be as good Ndombele now or Danny Blanchflower then.

He just needs to be good enough for one the last 5 spots in the XXV man squad.

I, for one, take a lot of pleasure in us playing kids like him rather than buying more Auriers, Sissokkos, Vorms and other more of less expensive outside players who bump up and down the squad hierachy but mostly making up numbers.

This thread has been very active since yesterday, has he had another 10/10 faultless performance?

I see a potential balon d'or winner if he keeps this up

When Harry fucked your mum he must have done some really nasty shit to her, eh?

....At some point in life you're gonna have to deal with this angst you know..

#coping

This thread has been very active since yesterday, has he had another 10/10 faultless performance?

I see a potential balon d'or winner if he keeps this up
Show the group on the doll where the nasty man touched you

productimg

For pete's sake, will you all pack it in. Nobody deserves the amount of 'ag' that goes on in this post - whether it's towards one of our players or each other. I wish you would all grow up. Case has enough to deal with at the moment, without having to referee childish arguments.

For pete's sake, will you all pack it in. Nobody deserves the amount of 'ag' that goes on in this post - whether it's towards one of our players or each other. I wish you would all grow up. Case has enough to deal with at the moment, without having to referee childish arguments.
You tell 'em Mrs P.

This forum is no place for childish arguments.

👀

Mods,

are personal abuse toward another forum member allowed?

Surely, this deserves a bin, no?
Mods? Why are you pretending you think there are moderators on this forum? You’ve been around long enough to know there’s not.

You’ve also been around long enough to know that personal abuse is allowed.

And whimpering for someone else to be binned is worse than the abuse itself in my opinion. Grow a pair.

When Harry fucked your mum he must have done some really nasty shit to her, eh?

....At some point in life you're gonna have to deal with this angst you know..

#coping
Come on mate

Delete that post
No need for it and I know you’re better than that!

Back
Top Bottom