Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really weird how he’s become such a lightening rod for so much hate.

Makes me resent our fan base a little bit.

He's shit and he's been shit for years.

Tim Sherwood was right when he said that our fans do not treat British players well yet will make countless excuses for foreign players. Harry Winks is an average player but if he cost £30m and came from abroad it would take years for many fans to call him out.

You can see it right now with players like Reguilon. If a player like Ben Davies played as badly as Reguilon has for the last 18 months he would be getting dogs abuse, but because he is an expensive foreign player people say “he just needs time” “he was one of the best defenders in La Liga” etc. Same with Lo Celso and Ndombele, people have been defending them for years even though they have been cack from day one. People were complaining about Sherwood playing Harry Kane over Soldado way back then even when Harry was scoring and Soldado was a joke.

Harry Winks has given everything he can give to help this club. He played in the XI that got us to the biggest night in the history of the club. He is not an elite player but criticism should be directed at a football operation that has failed to sign elite players and ended up giving responsibility to players like Winks who shouldn’t have that responsibility.

Bollocks,
Aurrier. Sanchez. Bergwjin. Lo Celso. Ndombele. Foyth. All pretty quickly criticised when fans realised they just weren't good enough.
Go and look at the Bentancur and the PEH threads - two players with infinitely more talent than Winks and they get slagged off.

Winks is not even an average footballer. He knows fully well the bench at Spurs is the absolute pinnacle of his career so he's clung on "to fight for his place"
The best he can hope for when he finally goes is a bottom half team.

It's actually because he's English that he's still at Spurs - he fills a quota that I don't believe benefits anyone. When shite like Winks becomes valuable because of a quota the system is broke.

Last edited:
Tim Sherwood was right when he said that our fans do not treat British players well yet will make countless excuses for foreign players. Harry Winks is an average player but if he cost £30m and came from abroad it would take years for many fans to call him out.

You can see it right now with players like Reguilon. If a player like Ben Davies played as badly as Reguilon has for the last 18 months he would be getting dogs abuse, but because he is an expensive foreign player people say “he just needs time” “he was one of the best defenders in La Liga” etc. Same with Lo Celso and Ndombele, people have been defending them for years even though they have been cack from day one. People were complaining about Sherwood playing Harry Kane over Soldado way back then even when Harry was scoring and Soldado was a joke.

Harry Winks has given everything he can give to help this club. He played in the XI that got us to the biggest night in the history of the club. He is not an elite player but criticism should be directed at a football operation that has failed to sign elite players and ended up giving responsibility to players like Winks who shouldn’t have that responsibility.
Wait is this the unpopular opinions thread...confused

Uncomfortable truths.

He's shit and he's been shit for years.

Bollocks,
Aurrier. Sanchez. Bergwjin. Lo Celso. Ndombele. Foyth. All pretty quickly criticised when fans realised they just weren't good enough.
Go and look at the Bentancur and the PEH threads - two players with infinitely more talent than Winks and they get slagged off.

Winks is not even an average footballer. He knows fully well the bench at Spurs is the absolute pinnacle of his career so he's clung on "to fight for his place"
The best he can hope for when he finally goes is a bottom half team.

It's actually because he's English that he's still at Spurs - he fills a quota that I don't believe benefits anyone. When shite like Winks becomes valuable because of a quota the system is broke.
This is just a dumb response. Winks has played well for England and against some of the best club sides in Europe. Sometimes players do not excel in certain systems or pressure. Ben Davies perfect example.

This is just a dumb response. Winks has played well for England and against some of the best club sides in Europe. Sometimes players do not excel in certain systems or pressure. Ben Davies perfect example.
Show me Winks playing well

Not Winks making 10 easy short passes. Show me Winks playing well.
The odd assist here and there means nothing. Sissoko got those occasionally.
The only system Winks has ever been good in, is one where the team is so good it doesn't matter if he spends the whole game tapping the ball back to the centre back.

If you think he's anywhere near good enough for Spurs or for England then football isn't the game for you.
The fact he actually played games for England makes me feel sorry for Mark Noble. For a few seconds anyway.

C'mon Winks has been given years by the lot of us. We could all see he had talent when he broke through but I don't think the injury he had helped and Poch playing him out of position didn't do much for him. I think the worst thing Poch did was not send players on loan and Winks is one of the players that suffered most from this.

At the end of the day though similar to Dele, his confidence and more importantly his play have regressed so much that most games it's embarrassing seeing him out there and also pretty annoying watching him not bust a gut to try at least get the fans back on his side.

As for Ben Davies, your argument doesn't stack, go back over his thread over the years and he's been a target on and off since almost day one from the usual knee jerkers. 6 months ago he was on a lot of get rid lists when anyone could clearly see he's struggled since the injury he'd had and also that the team were complete shit in the last 2 years before Conte

Show me Winks playing well

Not Winks making 10 easy short passes. Show me Winks playing well.
The odd assist here and there means nothing. Sissoko got those occasionally.
The only system Winks has ever been good in, is one where the team is so good it doesn't matter if he spends the whole game tapping the ball back to the centre back.

If you think he's anywhere near good enough for Spurs or for England then football isn't the game for you.
The fact he actually played games for England makes me feel sorry for Mark Noble. For a few seconds anyway.
I know right...😏

Genuinely no better than Carroll Mason or Holtby. Actually Mason was better and so was Bentaleb

It's not the criticism he gets just because he's not good, everyone gets that, it's the abuse and it's the constant jibes that are uncessary which stand out, at least with players like Gio and Ndombele you can make an argument of them deserving it if that's your thing but I still to this day don't understand why he gets so much abuse.

Winks just needs the right partner at CM like he had with Dembele. Just someone that can break a press, take on defenders, defend, win physical battles, and put teammates in great positions.

In return, Winks will complete the world class partnership by playing the occasional decent long pass and continuously recycling possession.

I have to laugh when people think a tidy CM that’s main skill is recycling possession is a good thing. Moving the ball around and putting your teammates in advantageous positions is a good thing. Recycling possession for the sake of recycling possession has no point unless you are holding onto a lead through possession. In which case, you are probably being pressed and breaking the press becomes more valuable.

It's not the criticism he gets just because he's not good, everyone gets that, it's the abuse and it's the constant jibes that are uncessary which stand out, at least with players like Gio and Ndombele you can make an argument of them deserving it if that's your thing but I still to this day don't understand why he gets so much abuse.
People are sick of watching him and rightly upset. As I’ve said many times, the anger is towards management and misdirected. Winks hasn’t helped himself by making some dumb comments over the years.

Back
Top Bottom