Has Conte Been Sacked Yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When is Conte sacked?

• Tonight

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Tomorrow

Votes: 63 29.9%
  • Next week

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • Week of Everton game

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Is still in charge against Everton

Votes: 83 39.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not going to pan out in the manner you're romanticising it to.

It's not going to force ENIC to sell.
It's not going to force Lewis to spend more money.
.....And that fact that Conte has essentially just fast-tracked his exit just means that some of the players you'd like to see gone will now get a(nother) fresh start under the next manager.
In the short term? No, it's not going to force them to sell. However it'll help people see through ENIC's bullshit, and that'll help in forcing ENIC to sell, when people don't fill out the stadium anymore and don't buy as much stuff from the club as they do.

In the meantime, that's why I want Poch back, because he will get rid of Dier etc. like he was about to years ago (remember he froze Dier out of the team, and it was Jose who brought him back in). People say that you should never go back, however I don't count Poch as "coming back", because in hindsight he should've never been sacked. I was wrong at the time, and I'll be the first one to admit it.

Conte was right to call out the ownership. But losing to three relegation candidates and a championship side in the span of a month, plus his general demeanor and unwillingness to show us the patience that he himself demands, undermines him.

There are parts of the club that contribute to the systematic failure over the years. But what is he even saying here? That he hasn't been backed? That Tottenham doesn't back coaches and that's why we don't win?

We backed him. Not enough to seriously compete for the PL and CL titles, but well enough to compete for top 4 and the domestic cups. We got thrown out of those by Forest and Sheffield and are now looking like we will miss out on top four because Conte cannot motivate a team of international captains and vice captains to take on teams involved with the relegation fight.

Who are these players that he is having issues with? We all know that Eric Dier isn't the most consistent of footballers. But I am not going to pretend that Dier isn't capable of playing well, or even stringing together a good run of games. Is it Son that has been off form all season? But who he still starts every game unless he is injured. He's hardly rotating so the players have to be playing as instructed?

Realistically you aren't going to go through an entire season unbeaten. But you should be able to expect us to put in consistent good effort against all opponents. But we haven't under Conte this season. We show up for the big teams and try to scrape by against the "lesser" ones. And that has to fall at his table because either that is by his design, or it is a problem for him and his coaches to solve.

How we play and how we approach games is on Conte to fix, not on Levy. Levy has his own problems and faults to deal with.

In the short term? No, it's not going to force them to sell. However it'll help people see through ENIC's bullshit, and that'll help in forcing ENIC to sell, when people don't fill out the stadium anymore and don't buy as much stuff from the club as they do.

Only time will tell, but he'd have had a tone more impact if he'd accused the ownership of something particular and/or done it all whilst he still had some leverage in the club.

In the meantime, that's why I want Poch back, because he will get rid of Dier etc. like he was about to years ago (remember he froze Dier out of the team, and it was Jose who brought him back in). People say that you should never go back, however I don't count Poch as "coming back", because in hindsight he should've never been sacked. I was wrong at the time, and I'll be the first one to admit it.

Poch didn't freeze Dier out...... He missed a massive amount of time through illness and injury in Poch's final year.

14/15 - 36 apps
15/16 - 51 apps
16/17 - 48 apps
17/18 - 47 apps
18/19 - 28 apps(*) / 22 missing via illness & injury and had surgery that summer.

(*and that's despite us shifting back to a back 4 from after the previous season!)

Maybe I’ve picked you up wrong but wtf has Dele got to do with this fraud failing at this club?

Get rid ASAP
They have the same mentality. No need to work, no need to run, no need to do anything. This approach ended Dele's career and is ending our trophy dreams and CL runs every season. Even though I LOVE Kane and Son most of the time they got ball near the box shooting is all they care about. It wasn't this obvious some time ago(and their numbers let us ignore this). Son's bumbling around most of the time pretending to do covering runs or pressing, Kane doesn't even pretend to press. Fucking Milner looks like 20 year old compared to them. With manager that likes to blame others for failures it's a recipe for a disaster. And every third game is a disaster this season. Conte shares a lot of responsibility for this, but do you think he tells them to play this way? Skipp runs from midfield to press goalie which forces him to go long or play fast, hopefully innacurate ball to defender, and how do we go with this, do we get near these defenders to capitalise in case they do some kind of shit? Nah, bumbling. As sad as it sounds, if Kane had better mindset he'd be gone already.

Im gonna mention those Chelsea cunts again. But iirc they got to a champions league final with Avram Grant as manager. Then they fucking win it with di Matteo as manager. But it was the core of players that carried them, they had the ability and the mentality, it hardly mattered who the coach was. We do not have the players, our recruitment has been awful for years. What's levy going to do to change this? I don't think he has the answers.

Think people need to accept ENIC aren't going anywhere for a while. No-one will pay what they'd want.

When you accept this you then just concentrate on the football.

I want fun football. I want attacking football. I want to look forward to watching Spurs every game whether we win, lose or draw.

We won't get that with Conte.

He isn't wrong about the players. I said more or less the same at the end of Jose. From Kane all the way down, they're flakey, inconsistent and nervy.

However, they are capable of great results so it is up to Conte to bring the consistency.

He hasn't. His football is boring. We're painful to watch.

I like that he told some truths but it's time to go.

Bring in Poch on Monday.

Conte was right to call out the ownership. But losing to three relegation candidates and a championship side in the span of a month, plus his general demeanor and unwillingness to show us the patience that he himself demands, undermines him.

There are parts of the club that contribute to the systematic failure over the years. But what is he even saying here? That he hasn't been backed? That Tottenham doesn't back coaches and that's why we don't win?

We backed him. Not enough to seriously compete for the PL and CL titles, but well enough to compete for top 4 and the domestic cups. We got thrown out of those by Forest and Sheffield and are now looking like we will miss out on top four because Conte cannot motivate a team of international captains and vice captains to take on teams involved with the relegation fight.

Who are these players that he is having issues with? We all know that Eric Dier isn't the most consistent of footballers. But I am not going to pretend that Dier isn't capable of playing well, or even stringing together a good run of games. Is it Son that has been off form all season? But who he still starts every game unless he is injured. He's hardly rotating so the players have to be playing as instructed?

Realistically you aren't going to go through an entire season unbeaten. But you should be able to expect us to put in consistent good effort against all opponents. But we haven't under Conte this season. We show up for the big teams and try to scrape by against the "lesser" ones. And that has to fall at his table because either that is by his design, or it is a problem for him and his coaches to solve.

How we play and how we approach games is on Conte to fix, not on Levy. Levy has his own problems and faults to deal with.

From top down through to the players, there‘s plenty of responsibility to be shared for the state we’re in. Conte may well be gone, as the quickest fix, but Levy‘s going nowhere and we’ve accumulated dross in our bloated squad that need a serious clearing out.

It’s going to be an uphill task against City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, the Scum and Newcastle, and we’re looking at an extended spell outside the top 5 if we don’t get our shit together.

Pia forte five-ah.

You’re welcome.
inglorious basterds grat-zee GIF

Looking at our squad: Lloris is past it mentally, he's almost retired now. Foster is okay GK, but not this young hungry type, never near bigger trophies, here mostly for sitting on bench and getting paid. Sanchez probably feels the same. Son's overfocused on himself. Kane seems gone. Perisic plays like he retired year ago. Dier's fragile as a snowflake, one mistake, misplaced pass and he's shaking for the rest of the game. Sess is probably done on mental level, injuries + lack of confidence when he played. Moura's gone in 3 months, mentally already. Japh barely appears on the bench. Lenglet is gone in 3 months, why would he die on pitch for us. Bissouma seems lost. Sarr's too young, and he's a great prospect with great mental, but he's not the one to carry the team, he's the one that should be helped and carried.
We're left with few players that obviously care, want to fight and die on the pitch. Skippy, PEH(unsure here though), Richarlison(injured), Emerson(unsure, but he showed many times he keeps his head up.), Romero, Porro(pure passion today), Deki(who's out of form after injury, not his fault though), Benta(injured), Davies.
Compare this to Liverpool that was outrunning every team for few seasons pressing like rabid dogs, with Woolwich's players that won like 5+ games this season in last 2 minutes of the game, ManU's persistance + top professionals, winners and role models (Casemiro and Varane). Or City's constant pressure from Guardiola who would probably murder his players if he saw things our players do. He took Haaland to show that team is more important that one player. And he would have had 30 minutes to break world record in CL. Was there any reason to take Haaland off that game? Nope. Did Haaland cry in media or anything? He knew he'd be sitting on bench if he did that.

We backed him
. Not enough to seriously compete for the PL and CL titles, but well enough to compete for top 4 and the domestic cups. We got thrown out of those by Forest and Sheffield and are now looking like we will miss out on top four because Conte cannot motivate a team of international captains and vice captains to take on teams involved with the relegation fight.

Indeed....... More questions than answers.

Top post, mate.

Im gonna mention those Chelsea cunts again. But iirc they got to a champions league final with Avram Grant as manager. Then they fucking win it with di Matteo as manager. But it was the core of players that carried them, they had the ability and the mentality, it hardly mattered who the coach was. We do not have the players, our recruitment has been awful for years. What's levy going to do to change this? I don't think he has the answers.
The fabric of this squad was laid bare in AON.

We got rid of a few bad apples but it appears the problem is deeper than surface level.

There is no leadership, no accountability. You have to look at Kane, Son and Lloris in all of this.

Not one is a leader of men yet they are the supposed seniors in the squad.

- Lloris: quiet, unassuming, massively declining in recent years, cucked by Martinez in the World Cup Final
- Son: plays in flashes, mentality of a spoilt kid, played like an absolute cunt last day against Norwich trying to get the Golden Boot when top 4 was on the line (see Conte's selfish comments)
- Kane: probably resents the club for the way things turned out. Now just cares about getting his goals

Do you think Kane was going round after the Sheffield United game calling everyone a cunt and demanding a response? Or do you think he probably sloped back on the bus with his headphones on like everyone else and then it was laughing and joking in training Monday morning.

I know the days of Keane and Shearer are gone but we are a team severely lacking in bollocks. That is now clear. We have seen the footage in the doc, we have heard two of the most decorated managers in the game say it and we see it regularly on the pitch.

The right steps have been made with recent signings but the job is not finished yet. We need to complete the rebuild and a new leadership group needs to emerge in that dressing room if we are to ever achieve anything.

Yeah, loads of insight.

If only.

Still wanna know what the "I will stay if X" proviso was that he's teased us with for four months (or more) was.

...........And much more.

Really nailed his colours to the mast.

This is meaningless John-Thomas talk.........

The immediate problem with the "20years of failure" narrative is that our frustrations extend beyond the ENIC years..... Hence Alan Sugar seized upon Conte's comments as an avenue to excuse himself this evening.

39 years of failure... Sadly that doesn't paint such a convenient, tidy narrative

39 years of failure... Sadly that doesn't paint such a convenient, tidy narrative

Our 80s were far from great. Basically they were saved by a penalty shootout and two cup replays and on our back to back cup wins, we had terrific draws and barely left London.
One great season in 86/87 but the rest of it was certainly no better— I’d argue worse— than the Poch years. The Sugar years were at best, mediocre, and at worst, awful.
The truth is that we haven’t been consistently good since arguably 1971 (73?). We were relegated shortly after. We’re a team from a shabby part of London that peaked in the 50s/60s.
Lots of other teams peaked around then and even earlier and they’re not close to getting back to the top.

Our 80s were far from great. Basically they were saved by a penalty shootout and two cup replays and on our back to back cup wins, we had terrific draws and barely left London.

The point is though; we still had what it takes to get over the line..........

87 FA Cup final is the marker IMO.

For every recent cup fuck up the 87 cup final loss to Coventry is the epitome of Sp**sy........ We had them ridiculously outgunned in terms of quality, yet still conspired to lose after going ahead twice and eventually went down to an OG in extra time.

Last edited:
An ITK on Twitter doesn’t think Conte will be leaving just yet

If we are going to keep him around still, then the only reason I can imagine is to not let him walk away scot free. We have already accepted our fate for the season and not going to let him get off that easy where he can just sling arrows from the outside. He’ll have to slag through each miserable week to the next as the ship goes down with him at the helm. Let him have to endure press conference after press conference and be the face of an 8th place finish.

If it weren’t so reckless and stupid, I’d actually enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom