Have we signed Frank de Boer yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the score, Frank de Boer?

• Total voters
I'm more intrigued by De Boer than LvG, and think he would fit into the club better and not cause any disruption with God :levywtf:

His lack of managerial experience would make him a relatively big gamble, but then being Spurs, we are unlikely to attract many well-travelled and experienced managers, so he could be worth a punt. One thing he would have to cope with that he doesn't currently is a transfer budget. Ajax don't really spend, relying on carrying through youth - so he needs to have a clear idea of who he wants/needs, and be able to get them. I'm not sure we would get the best out of him with Baldini at the club.

I just keep seeing Laudrup when I hear his name. And fuck me, Swansea have gone so downhill since his appointment it's unreal.

i couldnt see rodgers working out with the bin dippers.
whats important is that, if levy appoints him, he has the balls to see it through, if form drops, for once.

But Rodgers already had experience of getting a premier league team playing great football so it's a bt different. He can make even an average squad play well. Let's face it other than Suarez I don't think why of us considered their squad better than ours in paper at the start of the season. Would any of you have picked Sturridge over ade or soldado, or sterling over Lennon, or even Henderson over paulinho/dembele.

Anyone coming in who has no premier league track recor is going to be a gamble. I'd almost say that Martinez is a safer bet but can't see him leaving Everton. If city binned pellegrini I would take him in an instant.

Rodgers was small time when it comes to considering a massive club like pool, its fair to point out that when he went there there was no major expectation of success. Certainly not the sort of season they have had so far.

Rodgers was small time when it comes to considering a massive club like pool, its fair to point out that when he went there there was no major expectation of success. Certainly not the sort of season they have had so far.

He's dug himself a hole though, as the scousers on RAWK will no doubt turn from 'Messiah' into 'Sack Him' if he has a bad season alongside CL football.

He's dug himself a hole though, as the scousers on RAWK will no doubt turn from 'Messiah' into 'Sack Him' if he has a bad season alongside CL football.
Thats the nature of scousers though, no real reflection on the manager.
I think most would say he has exceeded expectation there.

Thats the nature of scousers though, no real reflection on the manager.
I think most would say he has exceeded expectation there.
Anyone would get those results with the 2 best strikers in the Prem

He'd been found out more often than not with his latest masterstroke signing of Toure

Yes, we still remember how much you wanted him 2 years ago

He'd been found out more often than not with his latest masterstroke signing of Toure

I'm surprised he's done well at all, that TV program where they followed him around was a bit of an insight, barely speaks in the dressing room, just mumbles in a northern irish accent.

I am far from his biggest fan and have been quite critical of him/them this season as well as last.
Its a fair statement to say he has achieved more than expected.
Im not interested in your searching for yet another online argument.

I'm surprised he's done well at all, that TV program where they followed him around was a bit of an insight, barely speaks in the dressing room, just mumbles in a northern irish accent.
The photo of himself in the living room (stand-alone) said it all

You mean like winning a trophy and establishing a middle spot in the PL?
Won the League Cup, fair enough, but now sat 4 points above the relegation zone. Hardly establishing a middle spot.

Their football under Laudrup was nowhere near the same quality as under Martinez or Rodgers.

Their inconsistency was quite unbelievable - beating Valenca 3-0 at the Mestalla to losing 3-1 to Birmingham in the League Cup 3rd round this year (poor showing considering they were the holders).

Won the League Cup, fair enough, but now sat 4 points above the relegation zone. Hardly establishing a middle spot.

Their football under Laudrup was nowhere near the same quality as under Martinez or Rodgers.

Their inconsistency was quite unbelievable - beating Valenca 3-0 at the Mestalla to losing 3-1 to Birmingham in the League Cup 3rd round this year (poor showing considering they were the holders).

In fairness, Michu was injured most of the season.

No different to Sherwood minus Adebayor

So are we saying both Laudrup and Sherwood are over-reliant on 1 player (and therefore not good enough)?

Sort of.

I think Laudrup had a better excuse, with a much smaller squad and a much smaller wage bill, they are more reliant on a player than perhaps we should be.

I think he was unfairly judged based on the run in of games they had up til he was sacked, we're a "top" club by comparison and we've not fared too much better lately under a similar run.

Considering the proximity of the bottom 10, to say Laudrup was doing badly would be saying that all the other 9 managers at that point deserved the boot. I think he deserved a bit more loyalty is all..

Sort of.

I think Laudrup had a better excuse, with a much smaller squad and a much smaller wage bill, they are more reliant on a player than perhaps we should be.

I think he was unfairly judged based on the run in of games they had up til he was sacked, we're a "top" club by comparison and we've not fared too much better lately under a similar run.

Considering the proximity of the bottom 10, to say Laudrup was doing badly would be saying that all the other 9 managers at that point deserved the boot. I think he deserved a bit more loyalty is all..
They had 7 Premier League games in December and won 1 of them. Runs like that in this day and age will always have you on the ropes, though I agree he should have been given more time. Particularly when they replace him with Garry Monk!

But back to my original point, I see Laudrup as not too different from De Boer, with relative inexperience in a lesser European Leagues (Laudrup did have some good times with Getafe mind). And if FdB is as inconsistent as Michael, I suspect our fan base will be no happier than it has been the last couple years.

I would still love to see Bielsa at The Lane. Fantastic manager, plays some sublime football.

Back
Top Bottom