Have we signed Zaniolo yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A fair comment if only based on that one game, as he did nothing, but he is a good player, and probably unfair to base a decision on that game alone.

I think he'd bring something to the squad so would like to get him in. More importantly, I've stood by the mantra 'if Conte wants him, get him' all window, and see no point in diverging from that thought process now.

Zaniolo in!
I did say it was also based on other games.

Decent player, but I would pass on him due to the following factors…
- Horrendous injury record which isn’t going to be helped by joining a much more physical league.
- Very poor goals/assists output.
- Very similar player to Kulu style wise. We would be better off in my humble opinion having a different option/type of player to rotate in the RW/RF position.

Considering he’d likely cost in excess of 60 million it would seem, I honestly think we could get a better player. It’s a pass from me.

We should absolutely not be looking for "something different". That sort of thinking led us astray, from the attacking lineup of Eriksen, Chadli, Lamela and Kane, and the beautiful football they created, to the one-dimensional counterattack-only-viable-option football with Bergwijn, Moura and Son. We need more of the same as Kulu offers, to get the best out of the likes of Son and Kane, not "something different" that is often a can-run-fast one-trick pony.

£50m seems so high for someone that has done so little.

3 years at Roma:

59 Seria A starts (81 apps).
0 CL apps
12 goals
10 assists.

It's funny; (in ref to Ndmbele) I just read AC Milan fans complaining about rich EPL clubs ruining the trf market by paying big fees and wages for players that have yet to win a major trophy.

Isnt-it-ironic.gif

3 years at Roma:

0 CL apps
12 goals
10 assists.

It's funny; (in ref to Ndmbele) I just read AC Milan fans complaining about rich EPL clubs ruining the trf market by paying big fees and wages for players that have yet to win a major trophy.

Isnt-it-ironic.gif

There is obviously something Conte’s see’s in Zaniolo that we don’t, I agree £50m seems very high and I would consider Maddison at £60m to be reasonable given his stats, prem experience and home grown element.

Based on what we have done so far I support the Zaniolo transfer if it’s Conte’s wish but only because it is Conte’s wish, if that wasn’t the case I wouldn’t have any excitement for it.

There is obviously something Conte’s see’s in Zaniolo that we don’t, I agree £50m seems very high and I would consider Maddison at £60m to be reasonable given his stats, prem experience and home grown element.

Based on what we have done so far I support the Zaniolo transfer if it’s Conte’s wish but only because it is Conte’s wish, if that wasn’t the case I wouldn’t have any excitement for it.

Agreed on all points. 👍

3 years at Roma:

0 CL apps
12 goals
10 assists.

Isnt-it-ironic.gif
Doesn't make sense at that price, especially with the injuries.

Conte seems to love him, but what's he seeing? Zaniolo isn't going to suddenly post Deki level goals/assists. Maybe he has a deeper role in mind but I don't really see it.

That makes me nervous....... Either:

a) He was a Hitchens target..... Nuff said.
b) He was a Jose target..... And he's looking to sell him already.

I'd be happier if it was pure Fab/Conte interest.
Whilst those reports of earlier Spurs interest in Zaniolo are interesting, I suspect our current move is almost entirely driven by Conte & Paratici.

Paratici & his Italian scouting networks know far more about Zaniolo than any of our lot.

Conte is his own man, making his own judgements about players and how they fit his system.

Given the suggestions that Conte doesn't think Zaniolo has been played in the best position for his skillset and the rumoured links to Adama Traore as a fallback plan, my working hypothesis is that Conte sees Zaniolo as a player who could run with the ball in the right and left WB areas. Especially in transition, when we win the ball quickly or have space to exploit.

Entirely speculative, of course.

People way underrating Zaniolo's ability. Would be a risky purchase, but an exciting one. Without injuries there's a good chance he's at a big club now with a great goal-scoring record behind him. Our bet would be that, hopefully with his injuries behind him, he kicks on to something approaching his promised level in the next few years.

People way underrating Zaniolo's ability. Would be a risky purchase, but an exciting one. Without injuries there's a good chance he's at a big club now with a great goal-scoring record behind him. Our bet would be that, hopefully with his injuries behind him, he kicks on to something approaching his promised level in the next few years.

It’s a bit of a stretch to call his goal-scoring record ‘great’. And when you’re talking about a player valued at 50m I’d personally fancy less ‘hopefully’ or ‘might kick on’ and more ‘definitive upgrade’.

But hey .. as boring & thin as it’s beginning to wear on here, if Conte wants him then fine I guess … but even that has to have limits.

It’s a bit of a stretch to call his goal-scoring record ‘great’. And when you’re talking about a player valued at 50m I’d personally fancy less ‘hopefully’ or ‘might kick on’ and more ‘definitive upgrade’.

But hey .. as boring & thin as it’s beginning to wear on here, if Conte wants him then fine I guess … but even that has to have limits.
I'm saying if he hadn't been injured he would have had a great scoring record, and that his breakout season is yet to properly happen because of those injuries. (Which obviously makes it a risk, given he's 23)

What can he do that our other lads can't, mate?

........Doesn't really strike me as a plan B.
Don't think it's about finding somebody with different abilities to what we have. Conte has definite ideas about how he wants the game played, and probably wants his Kulusevski replacement to come in and do a similar job with a fresh body.

If he wanted a Maddison to help us play 3-5-2 I'm sure we'd look for that.

It seems that Mourinho has convinced Zaniolo to stay at AS Roma. There was an agreement with Tottenham but I think it's blocked

7674e08e92a8039eacaa75d1f6eba08b.jpg

Nicolo Zaniolo was ready to join Tottenham Hotspur last week and had agreed personal terms before Jose Mourinho stepped in and convinced the attacking midfielder to change his mind, according to a report from Corriere dello Sport.

Zaniolo has been a Spurs target throughout the summer. In fact, reports at the start of year claimed that Antonio Conte dreamt of using the Italy international in the same team as Harry Kane.

And Fabio Paratici has been pushing to get a deal done. It seemed that an agreement had been reached.

Corriere dello Sport claims that Zaniolo had his bags packed last week. Tottenham agreed a loan deal with an obligation to buy for £42.3 million.
But then, Mourinho stepped in.

According to CDS, Mourinho has convinced Zaniolo to stay one more year. In fact, Roma hope that he will now sign a new contract so that he can earn even more upon his departure next summer.

The Giallorossi capitalised on Zaniolo’s change of heart and told Tottenham that they will now only sell the 23-year-old permanently. The asking price is the £42.3 million Spurs were looking to pay next summer.

However, a move in this window is no longer an option for Tottenham.

Zaniolo was ready to join Tottenham
Obviously, it would naive to think that this is the last we will hear of Zaniolo and Tottenham this summer. But it does appear that he is looking set to stay in the Italian capital for now.

It is a setback for Spurs, particularly if Zaniolo was one step away from making the move. He is an ‘incredible‘ talent. And Conte clearly loves the player.

But it seems that Mourinho has done enough to ensure that he gives Roma one more year.
=======================================================================

I'll take this all with a pinch of salt I think. We didn't hear any pip about the deal being close to done last week. It would be a silly gamble by Mourinho .

have some ITK, i know you lot love him on this site.

Hercules​

Well-Known Member​

Jul 23, 20145,140137,104
Roma would have to match his wage ambitions on a new contract. What we offered him is a ridiculous amount compared to what he is on now. And I have not heard Mourinho is demanding he stays. We agreed everything (terms) with Roma last week. We did not expect him to play Saturday. There are contingencies in place. Them materialising is a different matter. But his agent is pressing for his client to get him here. Now you understand the ‘impasse’.
let me guess he got loots of love on that post from the ass kissers

their season starts on Saturday, from his perspective it's probably a bit late to have one of his key men ripped out of his starting 11 by the club that sacked him last.

There's a deal to be done I believe, we wouldn't be bidding if we didn't get the encouragement to bid.

Depends on how much we offer obviously, no way they are turning down good money (say £35-40m) for a player with that sort of injury record despite what Jose says

Back
Top Bottom