Have we signed Zaniolo yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worth noting that Inter Milan get 15% of the fee if Roma do decide to sell Zaniolo so can see why they would try and squeeze us for every last penny.

But he's a real exciting player and he has the right physique for this league. Now I did see reports that Conte would be looking to actually bring him in to play wing back but this seems a bit counter productive. He's left footed for a start and we already have Perisic and Sessegnon in that position right now. Unless of course he wants to play him as a right wing back, but if that's the case, we might as well just play Kulusevski there if we want to waste an attackers output.

It seems that Mourinho has convinced Zaniolo to stay at AS Roma. There was an agreement with Tottenham but I think it's blocked

7674e08e92a8039eacaa75d1f6eba08b.jpg

Nicolo Zaniolo was ready to join Tottenham Hotspur last week and had agreed personal terms before Jose Mourinho stepped in and convinced the attacking midfielder to change his mind, according to a report from Corriere dello Sport.

Zaniolo has been a Spurs target throughout the summer. In fact, reports at the start of year claimed that Antonio Conte dreamt of using the Italy international in the same team as Harry Kane.

And Fabio Paratici has been pushing to get a deal done. It seemed that an agreement had been reached.

Corriere dello Sport claims that Zaniolo had his bags packed last week. Tottenham agreed a loan deal with an obligation to buy for £42.3 million.
But then, Mourinho stepped in.

According to CDS, Mourinho has convinced Zaniolo to stay one more year. In fact, Roma hope that he will now sign a new contract so that he can earn even more upon his departure next summer.

The Giallorossi capitalised on Zaniolo’s change of heart and told Tottenham that they will now only sell the 23-year-old permanently. The asking price is the £42.3 million Spurs were looking to pay next summer.

However, a move in this window is no longer an option for Tottenham.

Zaniolo was ready to join Tottenham
Obviously, it would naive to think that this is the last we will hear of Zaniolo and Tottenham this summer. But it does appear that he is looking set to stay in the Italian capital for now.

It is a setback for Spurs, particularly if Zaniolo was one step away from making the move. He is an ‘incredible‘ talent. And Conte clearly loves the player.

But it seems that Mourinho has done enough to ensure that he gives Roma one more year.
=======================================================================

I'll take this all with a pinch of salt I think. We didn't hear any pip about the deal being close to done last week. It would be a silly gamble by Mourinho .
Potential top player, extraordinary body but two major injuries (one for each leg) that led to long recoveries.
The head then has to be shaped. In the past, several immature mistakes with Kean in the national team and in general a somewhat turbulent life (already a daughter had by an ex-girlfriend).

It can be a big bet or a bluff.

have some ITK, i know you lot love him on this site.

Hercules​

Well-Known Member​

Jul 23, 20145,140137,104
Roma would have to match his wage ambitions on a new contract. What we offered him is a ridiculous amount compared to what he is on now. And I have not heard Mourinho is demanding he stays. We agreed everything (terms) with Roma last week. We did not expect him to play Saturday. There are contingencies in place. Them materialising is a different matter. But his agent is pressing for his client to get him here. Now you understand the ‘impasse’.
Welcome to the forum.

Foul voted for posting SC nonsense.

Really don’t think he’s all that, happy to be proven wrong but from what I’ve seen of him and looking at the fact he only managed 2 goals last season, I don’t see him improving us dramatically like say a Maddison would.

He passed the eye doctor est the few times I’ve seen him play, but his stats are a bit concerning.

Also the way I’ve seen Roma fans described him, he seems to have some Lucas about him, which is of course good and bad. He’s intense, always looking to go forward, but the final product isn’t really there.

Zaniolo is more in line with your fast, strong and direct approach but doesn't have the same potential to add what's missing to your team as Maddison does. He also is more injury prone but that's something I prefer not to consider in this case because he's just 23 and nobody can really predict injuries.
I have to say that I don't really understand what you mean by this. If a player has had so many injuries by the age of 23, why is that less relevant than him having them later in his career? If by the age of 23 his body has shown it is not up to the demands of top level football, then I struggle to accept that can suddenly change. It's not as though he's 17 and has potential to grow much stronger or anything like that. For me, far from being something that anyone would "prefer not to consider", I think his injury record should absolutely be a very key factor to consider. :/

Which ever way you look at it, that is one horrendous injury list. Wasn’t fussed either way about this signing but looking at that I’d say we should steer well clear.

Aside from the ACLs the other injuries on there are trivial things.

It does seem like a huge risk to bring a player like him to the PL, though. Can his body hold up?

I have to say that I don't really understand what you mean by this. If a player has had so many injuries by the age of 23, why is that less relevant than him having them later in his career? If by the age of 23 his body has shown it is not up to the demands of top level football, then I struggle to accept that can suddenly change. It's not as though he's 17 and has potential to grow much stronger or anything like that. For me, far from being something that anyone would "prefer not to consider", I think his injury record should absolutely be a very key factor to consider. :/
I mean that at 23 he's more likely to recover from injuries well, but I understand what you mean. I prefer to be optimistic regarding Zaniolo's health but you certainly can include this into your analysis. If you get him on loan it would probably be less risky.

In any case as I wrote I personally prefer Maddison but unfortunately it looks like you're not really on him anymore.

Back
Top Bottom