Have we signed Zaniolo yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reminds me a bit of Dembele (who started as a winger) with his strength and dribbling.

Was about to say exactly that, re: Dembele. Zaniolo definitely looks like someone who'd hit the ground running in the PL and adapt well to the physicality. Combine his 6 foot 3 frame and the height of our other signings, and we're putting together a very physical side that will be difficult to handle for opposition teams.

I like Zaniolo but his injury history does scare me; he wouldn't be the one I'd necessarily go for over, say, Maddison. Then again, if we've scouted extensively and feel he's worth the gamble, we might be getting a really decent price on a huge upside. Frankly though, as long as Conte is happy I'm happy.

kFgEkmm.jpg

Is this Lamela's stats?

I wonder if we have 1 eye on the World Cup when considering this signing. Given that Italy are not in the World Cup; it could be a shrewd bit of business.

A loan deal with option to buy sounds like it could have legs; and benefit us around Nov-Jan when players may be fatigued / absent.

Similar, I expect Moura, Skipp, Forster, Sanchez, Kulu to be 'protected' during the first half of the season to ensure that are fit for the fixtures around the WC. With any luck, Dier won't get called up.

let me guess he got loots of love on that post from the ass kissers

This is the same fucking liar that said, at 4.07pm yesterday:
There is still an impasse. Ball is in their court. What we have offered is very fair.

And then at 10.16am today
Roma would have to match his wage ambitions on a new contract. What we offered him is a ridiculous amount compared to what he is on now. And I have not heard Mourinho is demanding he stays. We agreed everything (terms) with Roma last week.

The guy is the itk equivalent of a movie continuity error.

I feel like this has Lamela Mk II written all over it, on the pitch at least, if we sign him and is half the ledge that Lamela was then it's an undoubted win...

:lamelaaghh:

Always assume Italian players won't want to leave Italy so won't get too excited, but personally would be very happy with this transfer. Big fan of Zaniolo and think he'll kick on big-time over the next season or two.

Haven't seen him much, but saw the game where Roma ended Bodø Glimts run in Europe last season. Not excactly Premier League quality opponents, so might not be very relevant. But still, in that game Zaniolo looked to be miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch. Made a mockery of them all. Scored three goals with ease. Absolutely spectacular in that game.

Knowing Zaniolo but not Maddison, I read an article (of the "flaws vs qualities" kind) about the English midfielder and then watched some videos of his passing and ball control just to get an idea of how he plays. The conclusion I've reached is that what you really need for your team is the kind of player Maddison could be for you, but Zaniolo is the one who would integrate more easily into your game and with Conte's requirements right now.

If given the chance I would still go for Maddison, but he's a risk considering that he apparently only started working hard without the ball in the second half of last season and that he needs to have an unwaveringly functional style if he wants to play for Conte. He also could turn out to be a one-team wonder and just not be able to perform at all at Spurs.

Zaniolo is more in line with your fast, strong and direct approach but doesn't have the same potential to add what's missing to your team as Maddison does. He also is more injury prone but that's something I prefer not to consider in this case because he's just 23 and nobody can really predict injuries.

Also, I have a very strong bias towards good creative playmakers, but I do genuinely think Maddison is the type of player your team lacks.

Last edited:
Decent player, but I would pass on him due to the following factors…
- Horrendous injury record which isn’t going to be helped by joining a much more physical league.
- Very poor goals/assists output.
- Very similar player to Kulu style wise. We would be better off in my humble opinion having a different option/type of player to rotate in the RW/RF position.

Considering he’d likely cost in excess of 60 million it would seem, I honestly think we could get a better player. It’s a pass from me.

I saw nothing from him on Saturday or seen anything from him in the past that makes me feel we should make this signing.
Not that I think I know more than. Conte and Paratici but this doesn’t particularly excite me.

There is obviously something Conte’s see’s in Zaniolo that we don’t, I agree £50m seems very high and I would consider Maddison at £60m to be reasonable given his stats, prem experience and home grown element.

Based on what we have done so far I support the Zaniolo transfer if it’s Conte’s wish but only because it is Conte’s wish, if that wasn’t the case I wouldn’t have any excitement for it.

The club have been after Zaniolo for a few years, strong interest pre Conte

This is from 2020

Tottenham are understood to be tracking Roma’s Nicolò Zaniolo but view the 21-year-old midfielder as a potential signing for the future despite his impressive performances this season.

Reports in Italy this week suggested Spurs were competing with Juventus and Internazionale to sign Zaniolo, who has scored six goals in 23 Serie A appearances in this campaign. But while Tottenham’s hierarchy are believed to regard the Italy international as a considerable prospect who would thrive in the Premier League in part because of his physical strength, he is not considered to be a priority for José Mourinho in this transfer window.

Talks with Southampton over a move for Pierre-Emile Højbjerg are continuing despite Everton’s £25m bid for the midfielder being accepted and there is a confidence at Spurs that they can get the deal done. The club were ready to offer £30m for Zaniolo last summer but Roma’s asking price was higher.

Back
Top Bottom