Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'm not Korean, my parents were,
I'm not a Tottenham fan, I just love european football. I try to watch at least 6~7 matches on the weekends.
Anyway, I seriously don't recall any player scoring 5 goals in 4 games and suddenly gets his position changed.
Sonny was on fire and Poch put out that fire by putting him in a wrong position.
He was on the verge of getting his "second" player of the month award, but it's gone.
It felt like Poch doesn't trust Sonny that much, that's what I thought. No offense to all Tottenham fans.

Pochettino made a mistake putting him on the left wing back. He couldn't possibly know that Son would be stupid enough to slide in like he did giving Moses a chance to dive all over his leg though.

Son is a very good player and a vital one in this squad. He is not going to be chosen ahead of Eriksen, Alli or Kane at the moment, but he will get a lot of games still, due to his movement and eye for a goal.

I certainly want to keep him in the squad. He is a very good goalscorer and staying with Pochettino he could become even better.

Are u gonnna play ur harry kane as andefender u fucking racists?

It wouldn't be a stretch from his normal "2nd position"
1414137706146_Image_galleryImage_The_ball_slips_through_th.JPG

'm not Korean, my parents were,
I'm not a Tottenham fan, I just love european football. I try to watch at least 6~7 matches on the weekends.
Anyway, I seriously don't recall any player scoring 5 goals in 4 games and suddenly gets his position changed.
Sonny was on fire and Poch put out that fire by putting him in a wrong position.
He was on the verge of getting his "second" player of the month award, but it's gone.
It felt like Poch doesn't trust Sonny that much, that's what I thought. No offense to all Tottenham fans.

He did trust him. That's why he played him at left wing back. Poch felt three at the back was the best way to control the game against Chelsea and Son's extra pace would help against Moses. The game plan largely worked but for the soft goals we conceded.

In the preceding games we played we were better than the opposition so whether we played 3 at the back or 4 didn't matter that much but in the games against the top opposition we have to pick the right tactic and this required Son to do a job for the team, like others have at different times.

With Dembele injured he'll probably come back in again this weekend and get a chance to shine. But it's not about Player of the Month awards, Golden Boots or anything like that. It's just about winning games and giving us the best chance of pushing Chelsea all the way.

Last edited:
Well, Sonny is an emotional guy. from Bundesliga to PL, his emotional state really affects his form. I think he still struggles from that tackle. He'll move on, but it will take some time.
Emotional state? I'm talking about how sometimes he can be brain dead with the ball at his feet like most of the match today.

Very poor passing today, I thought.

Couple of times he could have put Alli or Kane through and the weighting on his pass was terrible - almost seemed like he was passing straight to them (lightly) rather than towards the space they should be running into.
That's harsh for me. He brought a lot of energy to our play. He never drops his head. We had to keep trying to break them down and he did that. Much rather have Sonny than someone who hides. The guy is class with his attitude and effort. Trying to get passes through a brick wall ain't easy.

That's harsh for me. He brought a lot of energy to our play. He never drops his head. We had to keep trying to break them down and he did that. Much rather have Sonny than someone who hides. The guy is class with his attitude and effort. Trying to get passes through a brick wall ain't easy.
His energy and attitude are appreciated. But his dribbling can be subpar like it was today.

After what I've seen,
it just seems like Poch does not trust Sonny that much.
I think he should transfer, Mutd, Chelsea, Liverpool or Munich.

I am also Korean myself, but Gawd, I fking hate these Koreans who think Son is Ronaldo. Deal with the fact that he still needs to improve more. He's still way behind Kane, Alli, and Eriken. Deal with the fkin fact.

Oh, I can't deny his energy - that's what I think wound me up the most when he'd do a nice run but it was wasted by his final pass.

And I do say this knowing that expectations are high after the last couple of months for Son so any poor play by him sticks out more. The opposite of that being Sissoko who apparently is a running-down-the-clock master, which was a pleasant surprise.

This retard thinks being born in another country doesnt make him Korean.
No, he's right. Your parents being born somewhere else doesn't change your nationality. What matters is where you're born and raised. Dele's father was born in Nigeria, but he's still English because he was born and raised in England.

For those of you, who thought it was ridiculous to have Sonny as a wing back, this is from an interview from two days ago after the match against Chelsea and prior to the Crystal Palace match. If you don't want to read the whole thing, read the line where I bolded, underlined, and italicized:

It was rumoured that Ben Davies had an injury on Saturday and that led to Heung-Min Son playing at left wing-back. Can you shed any light on that?
Mauricio: “Ben is okay. It’s true that during three months he’s played a lot of games. Sometimes you need to rest some players but it’s true that the team played well. Son played in a position where we tried to be more offensive, we tried to stop (Chelsea) in different ways, not wait for (Victor) Moses to attack, to push him to play in the back five. I think he made a very good job and when you lose, of course, you need to try to improve, but the decision was to be more offensive and try to play in a way to win the game like always. We’ll see tomorrow. Ben is okay, he needed to rest a little bit.”​

Can you envisage Son playing in that wing-back role again in future if you want to be more offensive?
Mauricio: “Yes, of course, because I think he was good. He was unlucky because I think it wasn’t a penalty and maybe the feeling is bad but I am so happy with him and if Tottenham play well, it’s because of Sonny too. It was a little bit unlucky – when you concede the first goal after four minutes, then when you are playing well and you are pushing at 1-1 – for me it wasn’t a penalty – and then in second half you dominate completely… It was a game where maybe if you play with a different starting XI, maybe the same happens. Always we try to find different ways to play, to be offensive, respect the philosophy and I am happy. Ben is okay and maybe he will play tomorrow.”
If you cannot see how much Poch trusts Son, - or any other Spurs players, in that matter - your vulgar opinions can go to the sin bin. :pochbye:

It was the wrong opposition to play Son there. May work against lesser teams. If I recall correctly Son tried to beat Moses for speed early in the game but Moses( I think it was Moses) shepherded it out for a goal kick. Son did not try it again.

It was the wrong opposition to play Son there. May work against lesser teams. If I recall correctly Son tried to beat Moses for speed early in the game but Moses( I think it was Moses) shepherded it out for a goal kick. Son did not try it again.

I think it was a smart game plan. Moses isn't much of a defender and using a more attacking wing back can put him under pressure to defend more, which leads to mistakes.

Personally I think 4 2 3 1 would have been smarter though since it would have allowed us to really try to exploit Moses at the back.

Having watched the game back one thing that concerned me was Son's poor body language during the game. He was completely absent from the goal celebrations and generally cut a pretty sultry figure. If that's how he reacts to being dropped then his long term future may not be here. I get that there's a lot of pressure on him to play and be the main man because of his superstar status in Korea so he may want to go back to a mid table German side and be their superstar player rather than being behind the likes of Kane and Alli here, because I don't think Poch would tolerate a player acting like that for very long.

Back
Top Bottom