Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

cameron crowe GIF

jerry maguire money GIF

30kpw difference over a 4-year deal is 6.2 million.

We paid 10 million for Jack Clarke.
If this was the reason that held Son from performing at the level we saw during the first half of the season, Levy should never make another decision again. 30k a week to keep Son happy and performing at a high level?! I'm beginning to think that his drop off in form was a power move by Son - "you pay me and I keep playing at a high level otherwise I'll stop trying and lets see what happens." Why the fck didn't we just pay him?! Now we're playing in the fckn conference league!

If this was the reason that held Son from performing at the level we saw during the first half of the season, Levy should never make another decision again. 30k a week to keep Son happy and performing at a high level?! I'm beginning to think that his drop off in form was a power move by Son - "you pay me and I keep playing at a high level otherwise I'll stop trying and lets see what happens." Why the fck didn't we just pay him?! Now we're playing in the fckn conference league!
you think hes not giving 100% over 30k? if that is the case then i wouldnt want a player like that at the club anyway.

luckily i very much doubt that was the case, the problem for son was that teams didnt play open games against us as that would play into our hands. take the CL final as an example, the way chelsea got back and compact was a nightmare for even city with the footballers they had, imagine son against a side like that?
thats obviously an extreme example, but most teams we played looked to hit us on the counter as it was clearly the best strategy to come at us with, son needs space and an open game to be effective.

you think hes not giving 100% over 30k? if that is the case then i wouldnt want a player like that at the club anyway.

luckily i very much doubt that was the case, the problem for son was that teams didnt play open games against us as that would play into our hands. take the CL final as an example, the way chelsea got back and compact was a nightmare for even city with the footballers they had, imagine son against a side like that?
thats obviously an extreme example, but most teams we played looked to hit us on the counter as it was clearly the best strategy to come at us with, son needs space and an open game to be effective.
I think it could be a possibility. He switched management firms earlier this year and it seems that his new agents have been playing hard ball. It would be out of character particularly from Son but when money is involved, I wouldn’t be shocked.

What stood out to me was how little Son would even attempt to attack. In previous years, he would at least try to take on defenders or take an odd shot out from distance. We rarely saw anything from him in 2021, right around the time his contract talks stalled.

We rarely saw anything from him in 2021, right around the time his contract talks stalled.

Son has got 13 goals & assists in 2021 so far.
If you take away penalties, that's 2nd best in the Premier League behind Kane in 2021 (and across season too).

Given that stat, he wasn't that horrendous (albeit not at his best... his confidence was low and we were not playing much attacking football).
Nothing in his character to suggest he played badly on purpose to blackmail Levy.
Nonsense agenda, getting boring now.

I think it could be a possibility. He switched management firms earlier this year and it seems that his new agents have been playing hard ball. It would be out of character particularly from Son but when money is involved, I wouldn’t be shocked.

What stood out to me was how little Son would even attempt to attack. In previous years, he would at least try to take on defenders or take an odd shot out from distance. We rarely saw anything from him in 2021, right around the time his contract talks stalled.
well i think him dropping levels that much over 30k is nothing short of a disgrace if true, and players with that mentality shouldn't be anywhere near the club. i just think its a case of son not having the ability to be effective against compact sides. hes world class when put in behind in open games....so why would so called lesser teams ever come at us with that tactic? they wouldnt as it would be suicide especially with kane about. think sons run his course here with us now and we should look to get the most we can from him, even some of the better sides in football are going the compact, men behind the ball, narrow approach when out of possession...that doesnt bode well for son and players like him. attackers have to have guile and be cute on the ball now.

well i think him dropping levels that much over 30k is nothing short of a disgrace if true,
There's 0% chance it's true; and in this supposed time period where he's downed tools, he's 2nd in the league for goal contributions.

I hope we extend his contract, and keep Kane. And as Bale may not want to come back, I hope we get a world class RW too.
Let's build on our best players- not turn into a selling club.

Last edited:
Son has got 13 goals & assists in 2021 so far.
If you take away penalties, that's 2nd best in the Premier League behind Kane in 2021 (and across season too).

Given that stat, he wasn't that horrendous (albeit not at his best... his confidence was low and we were not playing much attacking football).
Nothing in his character to suggest he played badly on purpose to blackmail Levy.
Nonsense agenda, getting boring now.
No agenda. I personally thought he was average to below average in 2021. At times he was non existent. Had he played well, I would have been the first one to praise him.

No agenda. I personally thought he was average to below average in 2021. At times he was non existent. Had he played well, I would have been the first one to praise him.
Yeah, I think both his performances and his confidence were below normal for him in 2021.
But compared to rest of PL it wasn't too bad- hence #2 in goal contributions behind Kane even in 2021.

You have called for Son to leave on this thread, and Kane to leave on the Kane thread. I don't think you've carefully considered the ramifications of getting rid of this partnership. Maybe Haaland-Sancho would be on par, but I doubt either would want to come to Spurs.

Him and Kane were banging them in for fun and assisting each other all over the park early doors. Folk have short memories. Sonny has always been a streaky player but keeping him and Harry would be huge for the club. When they’re clicking they are unstoppable

Back
Top Bottom