Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't 'run away', i just have more important things to do then monitor this thread every hour.

My post about 'Asian fanboys' is not about THE CLUB. It is based on any player and ANY club. Not just Son & Spurs, but it's something that I disagree with entirely and something that I don't like to see. Why call out a group of people by their background.. why not just leave it as fanboys in general. So my disagreement with you is not about THE CLUB, but ANY CLUB.

It is. You just still you fail (refuse?) to grasp how.... The concept of being a "fanboy" is interwoven with one's relationship (or lack therof) with THE CLUB... The notion of one that puts player > club.

(You've never struck me as the type FWIW.)

You honestly think that when Son signed for Spurs there was a single person that flocked to Spurs on his account that wasn't from SK (or that part of Asia)?

On the flipside these aren't concepts invented upon the influx of Asian fans.... As already stated we've had similiar friction caused by Croatian 'fanboy-ing' (before) and Jose 'fanboy-ing' (after).

This thread is ridden with comments from a handful of people that want what's best for Sonny ahead of what's best for the club...... This thread is also ridden with accusations of racism against people that dare to criticise him (all but exclusively from the same people).

In the context of being a genuine supporter of THFC; those things are toxic.

I didn't 'run away', i just have more important things to do then monitor this thread every hour.

My post about 'Asian fanboys' is not about THE CLUB. It is based on any player and ANY club. Not just Son & Spurs, but it's something that I disagree with entirely and something that I don't like to see. Why call out a group of people by their background.. why not just leave it as fanboys in general. So my disagreement with you is not about THE CLUB, but ANY CLUB.

Nobody would care less about his Asian/Korean fanboys if some of them didn't come across as absolute wands. I'm talking about the ones that think every player is crap compared to Son. The ones that have a lot to say here despite the fact that they wouldn't take any interest whatsoever in the club the moment he's no longer a part of it. The ones that attempt to cry out racism the moment you disagree with them or criticise Son.

Nobody would care less about his Asian/Korean fanboys if some of them didn't come across as absolute wands. I'm talking about the ones that think every player is crap compared to Son. The ones that have a lot to say here despite the fact that they wouldn't take any interest whatsoever in the club the moment he's no longer a part of it. The ones that attempt to cry out racism the moment you disagree with them or criticise Son.
I agree that there are some people on here that don't give a crap about anyone other than Son, but I really don't think that they genuinely believe that every player is crap compared to Son.

It is. You just still you fail (refuse?) to grasp how.... The concept of being a "fanboy" is interwoven with one's relationship (or lack therof) with THE CLUB... The notion of one that puts player > club.

(You've never struck me as the type FWIW.)

You honestly think that when Son signed for Spurs there was a single person that flocked to Spurs on his account that wasn't from SK (or that part of Asia)?

On the flipside these aren't concepts invented upon the influx of Asian fans.... As already stated we've had similiar friction caused by Croatian 'fanboy-ing' (before) and Jose 'fanboy-ing' (after).

This thread is ridden with comments from a handful of people that want what's best for Sonny ahead of what's best for the club...... This thread is also ridden with accusations of racism against people that dare to criticise him (all but exclusively from the same people).

In the context of being a genuine supporter of THFC; those things are toxic.
Yep, I do 100% believe that. I have seen enough of the world to know that a fanbase doesn't just solely stem from one country or continent. E.g, I bet he had a number of fans in Germany from his time there, who then might have taken an interest in how things would go here at Spurs.

I do agree that there are some people here who want what's best for the player and not the club. But sometimes it can be a case of what is best for him is also what is best for the club. Not all the time though obviously.

Yep, I do 100% believe that. I have seen enough of the world to know that a fanbase doesn't just solely stem from one country or continent. E.g, I bet he had a number of fans in Germany from his time there, who then might have taken an interest in how things would go here at Spurs.

I do agree that there are some people here who want what's best for the player and not the club. But sometimes it can be a case of what is best for him is also what is best for the club. Not all the time though obviously.

Just so you know that you are on losing battles with the two because one sounds alright at times but eventually lies when gets cornered and the other the Tyler B, not really sure wtf is going on but seemignly obsses sd with Kane and seems to be in heat all the time.

You seem pretty blind to the fact that following a player (as opposed to being a supporter of a club) is the anomaly here.

Until you understand this; any such discussion can't progress.

(A fan of Leverkusen isn't going to suddenly change allegiance to Spurs just cos Sonny came here.... UNLESS they are a "fanboy" who had no commitment to BL in the first place..... If you're suggesting that Spurs picked up a bunch of German fans cos of Sonny; you're lying to yourself!)

Obviously - that's not being argued! - but, crucially, the MOTIVE behind the sentiment is what separates a SPURS fan from a "fanboy".

(Also; see next quote)

I agree that there are some people on here that don't give a crap about anyone other than Son,

So why are you dishing out disagrees rather than just having this conversation then? .....That's the central point to this afterall.

If you genuinely believe this, then why are you so resistant to what's being put to you and happy to wave around words like "ignorance" and make allusions to racism (whether you choose to call it that or not; matters little)?

You seem pretty blind to the fact that following a player (as opposed to being a supporter of a club) is the anomaly here.

Until you understand this; any such discussion can't progress.

(A fan of Leverkusen isn't going to suddenly change allegiance to Spurs just cos Sonny came here.... UNLESS they are a "fanboy" who had no commitment to BL in the first place..... If you're suggesting that Spurs picked up a bunch of German fans cos of Sonny; you're lying to yourself!)

Obviously - that's not being argued! - but, crucially, the MOTIVE behind the sentiment is what separates a SPURS fan from a "fanboy".

(Also; see next quote)

So why are you dishing out disagrees rather than just having this conversation then? .....That's the central point to this afterall.

If you genuinely believe this, then why are you so resistant to what's being put to you and happy to wave around words like "ignorance" and make allusions to racism (whether you choose to call it that or not; matters little)?
You have either completely misunderstood what my disagreement was about, or you are are just trying to continually brush it under the carpet. I am not disagreeing about the difference between a SPURS fan and a "fanboy".

I will say it again. I don't like it when Son's so called fanboys are called 'Asian fanboys' or 'South Korean fanboys'. But for every other player on this planet it just seems to be 'fanboy'. Why is there a difference.. I think the logic behind that is wrong, flawed and ignorant.

You have either completely misunderstood what my disagreement was about, or you are are just trying to continually brush it under the carpet. I am not disagreeing about the difference between a SPURS fan and a "fanboy".

I will say it again. I don't like it when Son's so called fanboys are called 'Asian fanboys' or 'South Korean fanboys'. But for every other player on this planet it just seems to be 'fanboy'. Why is there a difference.. I think the logic behind that is wrong, flawed and ignorant.
Because Messi fanboys are all over the world because he's an all time great and maybe the GOAT. There are Argentinian Messi fanboys as well as Mexican, American, British, French, etc. you get the point.

Most of Son's fanboys are South Korean, logically because he's one of the best South Koreans ever (more accurately one of the few South Koreans that is world famous in football).

I guarantee the proportion of Son fanboys that are South Koreans is far greater than the proportion of Messi fanboys that are Argentinians.

This is why many refer to Son's fanboys as South Korean. It is not hating on South Korean people and is not racist.

Because Messi fanboys are all over the world because he's an all time great and maybe the GOAT. There are Argentinian Messi fanboys as well as Mexican, American, British, French, etc. you get the point.

Most of Son's fanboys are South Korean, logically because he's one of the best South Koreans ever.

I guarantee the proportion of Son fanboys that are South Koreans is far greater than the proportion of Messi fanboys that are Argentinians.

This is why many refer to Son's fanboys as South Korean. It is not hating on South Korean people and is not racist.
It is generalising and is ignorant in my view. I travel a lot, and for example when in Brasil, I met a bunch of Spurs 'fans' (the likes of whom Airfixx Airfixx would detest) who all started following the club because of Son. None of these were asains, or had asian heritage.

Hell even our very own Reggie said that he was a fan of Son before he came to Spurs.. and although there is some exaggeration in that no doubt, i don't understand why it's hard to believe that Son draws in more than just asians.

The example you have given of Messi is an extreme as he is an all time great, so of course he will have a fan base that is more evenly distributed. Take Kane just as an example.. I would say that the majority of his fans are English or European. But like I said you don't hear people calling out his fanboys as 'English Fanboys' or 'European Fanboys'

This is simply false though.

For the Nth time... We had Croatian fanboys that exhibited similar behavioural traits that were, on occasion, referred to as such..... You're the one being ignorant and selective in this discussion, not I.

I'd presume that (eg) in Liverpool circles that there will be references made to "Egyptian fanboys" too if such behaviour is being exhibited.

As already put to you too.... I bet if you polled the footballing fan-world virtually NOBODY jumped from LK to Spurs that weren't SK (the whole dynamic with global phenomenon's like Messi & Ronaldo is simply not comparable.).

As a microcosm; is there a single German individual that posts on TFC?

It is generalising and is ignorant in my view. I travel a lot, and for example when in Brasil, I met a bunch of Spurs 'fans' (the likes of whom Airfixx Airfixx would detest) who all started following the club because of Son. None of these were asains, or had asian heritage.

Hell even our very own Reggie said that he was a fan of Son before he came to Spurs.. and although there is some exaggeration in that no doubt, i don't understand why it's hard to believe that Son draws in more than just asians.

The example you have given of Messi is an extreme as he is an all time great, so of course he will have a fan base that is more evenly distributed. Take Kane just as an example.. I would say that the majority of his fans are English or European. But like I said you don't hear people calling out his fanboys as 'English Fanboys' or 'European Fanboys'

You really fail to understand the difference between fan and fanboi.

Nobody has a problem with South Koreans being fans of Spurs, when those "fans" call others racist for legitimate criticism of Son, attack other Spurs players because they think it makes Son look better that is the problem

When we saw similar before from Jose Moronistas they were similarly called out for it. It has nothing to do with being Asian at all.

You really fail to understand the difference between fan and fanboi.

Nobody has a problem with South Koreans being fans of Spurs, when those "fans" call others racist for legitimate criticism of Son, attack other Spurs players because they think it makes Son look better that is the problem

When we saw similar before from Jose Moronistas they were similarly called out for it. It has nothing to do with being Asian at all.

Thank you. A proper reply from someone at last. All I am saying is if posters are gonna call out fanboys, then call them as such.. no need to refer to the so called background of the poster. It is just guess work, and is ignorant as it's often incorrect.

Fuck you... I completely resent that remark....

All SPURS fans are welcome as far as I'm concerned; wherever they come from..... Anyone else is a proverbial 'tourist' just passing through and like any other 'visitor' should respect the 'house' that they are a 'guest' of.

You're just proving my point.... YOU are the ignorant one here.... You are refusing to see what's being put to you and just putting everything it through a filter of persecution.

Absolute wafty drivel...... Comparing the notion of a player rating another player is simply not equatable to the dynamic of supporter culture or what's being discussed here.

Reg isn't a Spurs fan.... He's an employee of the club admiring a fellow proffesional.... He doesn't have Son posters on his bedroom wall FFS!

The example you have given of Messi is an extreme as he is an all time great, so of course he will have a fan base that is more evenly distributed.

Already said this, but your attempted normalising of club-hopping people being fans of PLAYERS (rather than clubs) just underlines that you don't grasp the culture of allegiance and supporting a football club.

I'm a fan of any good football player (with a few acceptions based on their character); but this doesn't mean I have 20 or 30 surrogate football teams that I profess to support.

Fuck you... I completely resent that remark....

All SPURS fans are welcome as far as I'm concerned; wherever they come from..... Anyone else is a proverbial 'tourist' just passing through and like any other 'visitor' should respect the 'house' that they are a 'guest' of.

You're just proving my point.... YOU are the ignorant one here.... You are refusing to see what's being put to you and just putting everything it through a filter of persecution.

Absolute wafty drivel...... Comparing the notion of a player rating another player is simply not equatable to the dynamic of supporter culture or what's being discussed here.

Reg isn't a Spurs fan.... He's an employee of the club admiring a fellow proffesional.... He doesn't have Son posters on his bedroom wall FFS!

Already said this, but your attempted normalising of club-hopping people being fans of PLAYERS (rather than clubs) just underlines that you don't grasp the culture of allegiance and supporting a football club.

I'm a fan of any good football player (with a few acceptions based on their character); but this doesn't mean I have 20 or 30 surrogate football teams that I profess to support.

Well yet again you missed my point. You yourself stated that you didn't like the type of fans that solely supported the club because of a player. The bunch of guys that I met in Brasil only really supported Spurs because of Son. Who knows by now maybe that have more of an interest in Spurs than just Son..

We have a poster here called 1966 . He openly acknowledges that he's not a Spurs fan, just an England fan with a huge fondness of Harry Kane..... He understands and respects the dynamic he's inserted himself into and doesn't put forward toxic resentment and player-based interest at the expense of the club.

The Son-mafia could learn a lot from him.

Ignorant is fair. And I'm sure Son draws in more than just South Koreans, which is why I stated most of Son fanboys are Korean and not all.

However, I think you are overlooking the national hero that Son is and how this creates a large amount of Son fanboys. Many spurs games are shown and broadcast in South Korean... I am sure this is due to Son's presence. We have all seen the videos of South Korean broadcasters going crazy when Son scores or even gets a chance.

I highly doubt all South Korean players playing overseas get their games broadcast nationally at the same level as Sonny's games.

The Best Soccer Players from South Korea

See that link. Sonny is #1 (as I'm sure almost every list would show). They regard him as the best player of all-time. This is:

1) in a sport where not a lot of South Koreans dominate, so it is unusual to have a South Korean as a top player in the world (unusual successes spark a stronger following) and
2) South Koreans are generally prideful of fellow countrymen.

No one cares Son fans exist. I have a South Korean fan that follows Spurs only for Son and I like that we both follow Spurs. However, he doesn't talk shit on the club and every other player to make Son seem better. The ones that do are the people that some spurs fans have a problem with.

Last edited:
Well yet again you missed my point. You yourself stated that you didn't like the type of fans that solely supported the club because of a player.

Actual quotes or STFU.

I have not said I dislike anyone.... Don't abuse context like a fucking worm.

Considering the delicate, racist nature of your insinuations - unless you're deliberately being a shit-house - you could do with treading a damn sight more carefully !!!

The bunch of guys that I met in Brasil only really supported Spurs because of Son. Who knows by now maybe that have more of an interest in Spurs than just Son..

Do they actually support Spurs though...? That's remains the fundamental question (blind to it as you are!).....

Maybe they've become SPURS fans.... If they have they're part of the family as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you. A proper reply from someone at last. All I am saying is if posters are gonna call out fanboys, then call them as such.. no need to refer to the so called background of the poster. It is just guess work, and is ignorant as it's often incorrect.
Ignorant is fair. Racist is not fair. No one is insulting all Koreans or anything.

Actual quotes or STFU.

I have not said I dislike anyone.... Don't abuse context like a fucking worm.

Considering the delicate, racist nature of your insinuations - unless you're deliberately being a shit-house - you could do with treading a damn sight more carefully !!!

Do they actually support Spurs though...? That's remains the fundamental question (blind to it as you are!).....

Maybe they've become SPURS fans.... If they have they're part of the family as far as I'm concerned.
There you go resorting to that language. I am sure your inability to have a discussion without resorting to 'STFU' or Fuck you' will get you very far in life. You amuse me..

Back
Top Bottom