Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I sometimes think I am entering a parallel universe when I visit this site.
Son's "slump."
4 EPL goals in 5 apps in December.
Kane is "finished."
3 EPL goals in in his last 4 apps.
For those with shorter memory spans than Dory...December was 5 days ago.

I sometimes think I am entering a parallel universe when I visit this site.
Son's "slump."
4 EPL goals in 5 apps in December.
Kane is "finished."
3 EPL goals in in his last 4 apps.
For those with shorter memory spans than Dory...December was 5 days ago.

Yeah it's hyperbolic. Both were fucking shocking today and neither are having the best season of their careers (especially Kane) but my god the end is nigh shit is odd. You can argue both had the best season of their lives only last year FFS.

Both looked exhausted to me today. No pressing game at all from them, they've played a shit load of football lately. We also are struggling badly to get them chances if you look at both of their xG over an extended period. Our midfield and wingbacks don't help them out at all.

Yeah it's hyperbolic. Both were fucking shocking today and neither are having the best season of their careers (especially Kane) but my god the end is nigh shit is odd. You can argue both had the best season of their lives only last year FFS.

Both looked exhausted to me today. No pressing game at all from them, they've played a shit load of football lately. We also are struggling badly to get them chances if you look at both of their xG over an extended period. Our midfield and wingbacks don't help them out at all.

Son, to me, has clearly lost a bit of the pace he used to have. Just like Mane at Liverpool. He's nowhere near as dynamic as he was and you can really see it in his game.

Kane has also lost a lot of his aggression and also constantly looks a yard slow, or slower than he was at his best. His quality on the ball when given a bit of space is still there. But not that sharpness game in, game out.

To me it's clear that both are slowly on their way down. That doesn't mean they are finished. But their best has been and gone, both of them.

You can argue both had the best season of their lives only last year FFS.
Despite the headline numbers, Kane and Son weren't great last season other than the 11 game purple patch.

This season, Son is on pace to match Kane's non penalty goal contributions from last season. He's got higher goals above xG and better goal conversion rate than Kane.

Case in point - you can have good headline goal/assists numbers but still not be very good.

Son, to me, has clearly lost a bit of the pace he used to have. Just like Mane at Liverpool. He's nowhere near as dynamic as he was and you can really see it in his game.

Kane has also lost a lot of his aggression and also constantly looks a yard slow, or slower than he was at his best. His quality on the ball when given a bit of space is still there. But not that sharpness game in, game out.

To me it's clear that both are slowly on their way down. That doesn't mean they are finished. But their best has been and gone, both of them.

Not sure about this. Mane still looks rapid, his issue has been composure in front of goal mainly, he still gets loads of chances and in front of defences. Son too, very often he'll get in behind teams but then his first touch will let him down.

Kane IMO in recent games has looked better in terms of aggression/ability to beat a man. But he was awful and looked tired today. It's been an odd season though, we've already sacked a manager, we've hired a new one with a totally different system who demands a lot physically, and we don't really help out either player with service so their confidence must be shot.

You give these things more time. It's a bad season so far from both, and a REALLY bad game today. But neither are even close to the biggest problems at the club.

Despite the headline numbers, Kane and Son weren't great last season other than the 11 game purple patch.

This season, Son is on pace to match Kane's non penalty goal contributions from last season. He's got higher goals above xG and better goal conversion rate than Kane.

Case in point - you can have good headline goal/assists numbers but still not be very good.

Both made the PL players and journalists TOTY, but you know better I suppose.

Yeah, you've said. Like loads. There's far more to being a good CF than conversion rate and goals above xG though.

No, you can not exceed xG by loads and still have a very good season, that's all this shows. You value forwards purely by their ability to convert chances/whether they exceed xG, and it's a shit, myopic way to view things.

Not sure about this. Mane still looks rapid, his issue has been composure in front of goal mainly, he still gets loads of chances and in front of defences. Son too, very often he'll get in behind teams but then his first touch will let him down.

Kane IMO in recent games has looked better in terms of aggression/ability to beat a man. But he was awful and looked tired today. It's been an odd season though, we've already sacked a manager, we've hired a new one with a totally different system who demands a lot physically, and we don't really help out either player with service so their confidence must be shot.

You give these things more time. It's a bad season so far from both, and a REALLY bad game today. But neither are even close to the biggest problems at the club.

Not being close to the biggest problem doesn't mean that they aren't a small part of it. Now with better players in the side I think both would obviously do better than they have been, that should go without saying. People keep mentioning Vlahovic all over the place here but unless we also bring in some creativity he will soon look bang average in a Tottenham shirt, and while also playing in a much better and harder league than Serie A.

But those saying that either or both are past their best and they are slowly on the decline, I don't think that can be argued against too much.

Both made the PL players and journalists TOTY, but you know better I suppose.

Yeah, you've said. Like loads. There's far more to being a good CF than conversion rate and goals above xG though.

No, you can not exceed xG by loads and still have a very good season, that's all this shows.
So Kane had his "best season ever" yet we finished 7th lol

And when he's having his worst season ever, we're in the mix for top 4

Tells you really how unimportant Kane is

But those saying that either or both are past their best and they are slowly on the decline, I don't think that can be denied.

I don't know if this is true. It can certainly be reasonably argued, but can't be denied? Players have ups and downs throughout their careers. Salah last season was great but a big step down from his first season at Liverpool, now this season he's up there as a Ballon d or contender.

Neither has hit the age of 30 yet, and neither is like Hazard who clearly just lost focus when he went to Madrid and was overweight. Son especially hasn't struggled with bad injuries, so where is the real source of a major, early decline for either?

I'm willing to give it to the end of this season at least before we say they're on the wane as players.

I don't know if this is true. It can certainly be reasonably argued, but can't be denied? Players have ups and downs throughout their careers. Salah last season was great but a big step down from his first season at Liverpool, now this season he's up there as a Ballon d or contender.

Neither has hit the age of 30 yet, and neither is like Hazard who clearly just lost focus when he went to Madrid and was overweight. Son especially hasn't struggled with bad injuries, so where is the real source of a major, early decline for either?

I'm willing to give it to the end of this season at least before we say they're on the wane as players.

Well I generally see 29/30 as just past the peak for most players. Not all, of course. Rooney peaked at 24/25. But injuries are catching up with Kane, as capable as he still is, while Son is producing those mesmerizing performances he's capable of less and less.

Well I generally see 29/30 as just past the peak for most players.

Dude; you literally just posted "29 is a good age" in relation to Coutinho in the Trf Thread (as a response to the suggestion that he's not the player he used to be). :dawsonlol:

So Kane had his "best season ever" yet we finished 7th lol

And when he's having his worst season ever, we're in the mix for top 4

Tells you really how unimportant Kane is

The gap between us and 7th currently is 2 points. It's December, we have no idea where we will actually end up in the table, so all this 'we're in the mix for top 4' shit means nothing to me. At some point last season we were 'in the mix' for the fucking title.

The real reason we're in the top 4 hunt is because United have fallen off a fucking cliff. Otherwise it would be a similar case to last season of us battling for Europa League spots. We also have appointed a much better manager who has gone on a very good run. Last season we had a past it Jose and then Mason at the helm for the run in.

And yeah, Kane's so unimportant that Conte starts him in every game possible and doesn't drop him. But you know more than him again, right?

Dude; you literally just posted "29 is a good age" in relation to Coutinho in the Trf Thread. :dawsonlol:

Yeah, in regards to the fact that when people mention about "slippers" anyone would think he's 34. He's not even 30 yet so still has a fair bit left in the tank.

Well I generally see 29/30 as just past the peak for most players. Not all, of course. Rooney peaked at 24/25. But injuries are catching up with Kane, as capable as he still is, while Son is producing those mesmerizing performances he's capable of less and less.

Out of date view IMO. Most players now can play in to their peak well in to their 30's due to advances in sports science and training methods. Benzema is having the best season of his career at 34, Thiago Silva is headed towards 40 and still one of the best centre backs around, Lewa is 33 and only improving, guys like Ronaldo/Messi win Ballon d Or's in their mid thirties. There's tonnes of examples.

Now obviously neither Kane or Son are near Ronaldo or Messi, but on the whole I don't think we see much drop off from a majority until a bit later now, unless there's circumstances like major injuries/a total loss in discipline ala Hazard.

Out of date view IMO. Most players now can play in to their peak well in to their 30's due to advances in sports science and training methods. Benzema is having the best season of his career at 34, Thiago Silva is headed towards 40 and still one of the best centre backs around, Lewa is 33 and only improving, guys like Ronaldo/Messi win Ballon d Or's in their mid thirties. There's tonnes of examples.

Now obviously neither Kane or Son are near Ronaldo or Messi, but on the whole I don't think we see much drop off from a majority until a bit later now, unless there's circumstances like major injuries/a total loss in discipline ala Hazard.

Well I did say not everybody. And of course it's easy to hand pick some examples to suit your argument. But I just don't believe we'll ever see either Kane or Son perform as well as consistently as they have done in previous seasons again.

Back
Top Bottom