Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He could easily play ahead of Sterling or Mahrez. I'm a fan of Raheem but he doesn't do anything better than Son. He might be quicker but technique wise Son is the better of the two.

Sterling is a much better, more dangerous dribbler, but Son is miles ahead when it comes to decision making & being clinical in front of goal. I think they're both at a very similar level, both top wide players who walk in to most sides in world football.

Sterling is a much better, more dangerous dribbler, but Son is miles ahead when it comes to decision making & being clinical in front of goal. I think they're both at a very similar level, both top wide players who walk in to most sides in world football.
sterling plays at a different level of football. he plays for city who dominate the ball in every game and are more often than not up against a side who struggle to get out of their first 3rd. son is devastating when he has a whole half of a pitch to run into. the times weve played shit teams who look to counter us weve struggled as we lack forwards and midfielders who have a real cuteness to their game. our players are not technically good enough/intelligent enough to break through stubborn walls.

so you think son is a good first option to go with against sides that sit deep do you?
Son is a good first option on any team at any league in the world right now against sides that sit deep or shallow narrow or crooked whatever unless he's knocked or tired from overworked

so you think son is a good first option to go with against sides that sit deep do you?
If we had a better alternative right now then yeah. But it's clear that with this squad, we just don't win w/o Son. I think his presence on the pitch alone helps the team as he obviously draws a lot of attention from opposing defenses. Teams change the way the play us based on whether or not he is on the pitch. Now if we had a bona fide AM or creative attacker, then that'd be a different story. But we don't.

If we had a better alternative right now then yeah. But it's clear that with this squad, we just don't win w/o Son. I think his presence on the pitch alone helps the team as he obviously draws a lot of attention from opposing defenses. Teams change the way the play us based on whether or not he is on the pitch. Now if we had a bona fide AM or creative attacker, then that'd be a different story. But we don't.
well hopefully kulu is the man whos going to help pick the lock against the parked bus sides. i think lucas and berg are better options than son against sides looking to park up, son would be first name on the team sheet against the better sides who are gonna come to play and leave space in behind, but against sides where you need a bit more cuteness and intelligence in the build up, then son is not the man for the job. horses for courses.

getting a goal or two up against the weaker sides and forcing them to come out and have a go, then bringing son off the bench when theyve had to come out.... what a weapon he would be then! not many better options in the world in that scenario.

well hopefully kulu is the man whos going to help pick the lock against the parked bus sides. i think lucas and berg are better options than son against sides looking to park up, son would be first name on the team sheet against the better sides who are gonna come to play and leave space in behind, but against sides where you need a bit more cuteness and intelligence in the build up, then son is not the man for the job. horses for courses.

getting a goal or two up against the weaker sides and forcing them to come out and have a go, then bringing son off the bench when theyve had to come out.... what a weapon he would be then! not many better options in the world in that scenario.
I see where you're getting at but the reality is different - there's a reason why we've only won twice out of 8 games without Son. He does impact the game in more ways than just being a counter threat and a lot of it just has to do with him being on the pitch.

I think it's more than likely that weaker teams park the bus in large part due to Son's threat running in behind and Kane picking him out. Look at what happens when they don't park the bus like when Son and Kane destroyed Southampton last season with Son scoring 4 goals.

If he were not on the pitch, I would think that teams would be more likely to come out and attack hence putting more pressure on our defense.

I see where you're getting at but the reality is different - there's a reason why we've only won twice out of 8 games without Son. He does impact the game in more ways than just being a counter threat and a lot of it just has to do with him being on the pitch.

I think it's more than likely that weaker teams park the bus in large part due to Son's threat running in behind and Kane picking him out. Look at what happens when they don't park the bus like when Son and Kane destroyed Southampton last season with Son scoring 4 goals.

If he were not on the pitch, I would think that teams would be more likely to come out and attack hence putting more pressure on our defense.
youre on about 8 games this season, im on about the last few years. seen it enough times to see that when we are up against a parked bus we struggle and son is a huge reason for that. if the final third is congested he pretty much is a waste of space out there, and if like you say they are set up like that because son is there, well dont have him out there, because we end up losing or suffering through a frustrating draw. seen it far too many times.

its a squad game anyway, certain players are better suited for different scenarios. just because im saying son shouldnt start against a parked bus doesnt mean im saying hes shit, as i said in an open game or even a game where the other team look to totally dominate, then theres not many players in the world id rather have than son. son needs space, when the other team congest the final third you need players who are more intricate and clever, it is what it is.

In all fairness; I get what you're saying and in fairness I agree based on skill-sets Berg & Kulu are likely to trouble Burnley more than Son & Lucas; but we're talking about a player (Son) that has proven productive in all varierty of scenarios/opponents and that track record will count for something in terms of pecking order/seniority. Unless we're juggling such game-time with equally as 'big' fixtures (i.e. CL or EPL fixture conjestion); it's hard to justify being 'dropped' to players of such caliber...... You just end up shunting them towards the exit.

.....I mean; how would it sit with you if you were Son you knew that you weren't in the running for circa 10 games per season?

Missing games in lesser comps = rest.
Missing games in premier comps = dropped.

Good analysis.

Now, let's see you on the Kane thread

youre on about 8 games this season, im on about the last few years. seen it enough times to see that when we are up against a parked bus we struggle and son is a huge reason for that. if the final third is congested he pretty much is a waste of space out there, and if like you say they are set up like that because son is there, well dont have him out there, because we end up losing or suffering through a frustrating draw. seen it far too many times.

its a squad game anyway, certain players are better suited for different scenarios. just because im saying son shouldnt start against a parked bus doesnt mean im saying hes shit, as i said in an open game or even a game where the other team look to totally dominate, then theres not many players in the world id rather have than son. son needs space, when the other team congest the final third you need players who are more intricate and clever, it is what it is.
Ok... so I went back and looked at our record without Son since the start of 2019.

In the Premier League, we have 5 wins out of 14 games.

We have 10 wins out of 32 games in all comps.

We don't look great without him mate.

Premier League
Fulham / W
Everton / D
Villa / W
Man City / D
Brighton / W
Norwich / D
Southampton / L
Chelsea / L
Wolves / L
Burnley / D
Villa / W
Palace / L
Leicester / W
Chelsea / L

Chmapions League
Ajax / L
RB Leipzig / L
RB Leipzig / L

Europa
Ludogorets / W
Wolfsberger / W
Dinamo Zagreb / L

FA Cup
Palace / L
Norwich / L
Marine FC / W
Morecambe / W

EFL Cup
Chelsea / L
Chelsea / W
Chelsea / L

UCL
Rennais / D
Vitesse / L
Rennais / L

EL Qualifying
Maccabi Haifa / W
Pacos / L

Ok... so I went back and looked at our record without Son since the start of 2019.

In the Premier League, we have 5 wins out of 14 games.

We have 10 wins out of 32 games in all comps.

We don't look great without him mate.

Premier League
Fulham / W
Everton / D
Villa / W
Man City / D
Brighton / W
Norwich / D
Southampton / L
Chelsea / L
Wolves / L
Burnley / D
Villa / W
Palace / L
Leicester / W
Chelsea / L

Chmapions League
Ajax / L
RB Leipzig / L
RB Leipzig / L

Europa
Ludogorets / W
Wolfsberger / W
Dinamo Zagreb / L

FA Cup
Palace / L
Norwich / L
Marine FC / W
Morecambe / W

EFL Cup
Chelsea / L
Chelsea / W
Chelsea / L

UCL
Rennais / D
Vitesse / L
Rennais / L

EL Qualifying
Maccabi Haifa / W
Pacos / L
how many of them games did harry winks start/feature?

keep a watch out next time we are against a side looking to counter, son is very frustrating. he doesnt operate well at all in tight areas. i just think to have a player like that to bring off the bench when the opp are chasing a game and have been drawn out would be an absolute weapon. thats a genuine world class sub to bring off the bench. watching son try and be something hes not against teams camped in and around their 18 yard box is frustrating and dumb.

people say hes a streaky player that goes hot and cold. i think thats more to do with playing against sides that play open or sit deep. hes good 90% of the time against the better sides and hes pony 80% of the time against the sides sitting in.

keep a watch out next time we are against a side looking to counter, son is very frustrating. he doesnt operate well at all in tight areas. i just think to have a player like that to bring off the bench when the opp are chasing a game and have been drawn out would be an absolute weapon. thats a genuine world class sub to bring off the bench. watching son try and be something hes not against teams camped in and around their 18 yard box is frustrating and dumb.

people say hes a streaky player that goes hot and cold. i think thats more to do with playing against sides that play open or sit deep. hes good 90% of the time against the better sides and hes pony 80% of the time against the sides sitting in.
I wouldn't disagree with what you're saying but until we truly have a better alternative that has shown consistent results, then Son should start. That's why we need to spend this summer and bring in players that can improve the squad in a big way.

We have absolutely nobody in the team remotely close to his level enough to justify dropping him. A City would be able to where they have a Grealish/Mahrez in reserve, but we drop Son and it's basically Lucas instead, who comes with his own long list of deficiencies.

Dropping top players when they're in poor form/for matches they may be slightly ill suited too is a luxury granted to sides with elite tier depth. We are not in that league, so it just won't happen. Son scores plenty of goals vs sides who play low block as he has a moment of quality in him regardless, which most of our other players do not possess.

We have absolutely nobody in the team remotely close to his level enough to justify dropping him. A City would be able to where they have a Grealish/Mahrez in reserve, but we drop Son and it's basically Lucas instead, who comes with his own long list of deficiencies.

Dropping top players when they're in poor form/for matches they may be slightly ill suited too is a luxury granted to sides with elite tier depth. We are not in that league, so it just won't happen. Son scores plenty of goals vs sides who play low block as he has a moment of quality in him regardless, which most of our other players do not possess.

Don't feed the trolls. Add them to your ignore list and save your time.

In all fairness; I get what you're saying and in fairness I agree based on skill-sets Berg & Kulu are likely to trouble Burnley more than Son & Lucas; but we're talking about a player (Son) that has proven productive in all varierty of scenarios/opponents and that track record will count for something in terms of pecking order/seniority. Unless we're juggling such game-time with equally as 'big' fixtures (i.e. CL or EPL fixture conjestion); it's hard to justify being 'dropped' to players of such caliber...... You just end up shunting them towards the exit.

.....I mean; how would it sit with you if you were Son you knew that you weren't in the running for circa 10 games per season?

Missing games in lesser comps = rest.
Missing games in premier comps = dropped.
Great point mate. If I was Son/Kane with their track record and given how both have been an integral part of the club's success year after year this season being no different, I would no doubt feel immensly let down by the club. Honestly it would hurt me deep inside. It's one thing to have poor performances and given a rest day or subbed out here or there but being told you can only play against certain sides??? WTF? I'm certain I would be looking to move elsewhere.

I'm not a stats guy but sometimes I hear that Kane goes missing in crucial games or can't score against top teams. Should Kane also start on the bench in those games following by this insane logic? That woul be such a disgraceful way to run a club treating your top players who have given their best on and off the pitch.

Son is still a top performer, don't try to humiliate the guy while not the intention. If Son frustrates you that much then the better scenario for you is that he be sold and use the money he can still get for another player who you think can do a better job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom