Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son said after winning the golden boot, that was his childhood dream. We all saw how he went berserk when he scored those two goals 😂. I don't think this PFA snub affects him at all. He's got his teammates and millions of fans showing him love if there was any doubt.

Wanted to mention, I've never seen Ben Davies celebrate a goal like the way he did when Son scored his second goal. Ben was always had a cool composure all season. It was just lovely to see.
0_GettyImages-1398667199.jpg
That's Davies buckling under the weight of Son lunging at him lol

but yeah, this a great group of players, trophy or no trophy they've earned our support.

Tottenham Hotspur had all but secured their Champions League place and were determined to ensure that Son Heung-min won the Golden Boot on the final day of the Premier League season.

The South Korea forward had struck with two quickfire goals — his 22nd and 23rd of the season — to give Spurs a 5-0 lead against Norwich City and leapfrog Mohamed Salah as the race to be crowned the season’s top scorer entered the final few minutes.

Harry Kane, Son’s strike partner, went over to the Tottenham bench and heard the news that the Liverpool forward had drawn level on 23, with a goal five minutes from time against Wolves at Anfield.

The England captain ran over to Son, lying down with cramp, andencouraged him to put in one final effort to move clear. “I didn’t know about Salah’s scoring situation at the time,” Son said. “I was rather upset, I was feeling pain in my leg and taking a bit of rest. Harry said: ‘Sonny you need to get up, you have to run more, you need to score one more goal.’ ”

There were no more chances for Son to add to his tally and the 29-year-old had to settle for sharing the award with Salah. He was presented with the trophy on the pitch at Carrow Road and is the first Asian player to win the award. Kane has won it three times.

Hundreds of supporters gathered at Incheon international airport to welcome Son, holding the trophy, to South Korea last week, where he is preparing to play Brazil in a friendly on Thursday.

At half-time against Norwich, with Tottenham leading 2-0, Antonio Conte instructed his players to create opportunities for Son. With 20 minutes left he was played through by Lucas Moura to score his first before curling into the top corner a few minutes later.

“The coach said at the break, ‘Our goal is still the same but now we have to help Sonny,’ ” Son told TV Chosun. “So I think the players helped a lot. I feel very grateful for that. From the second half, personally, I could not help but be a little greedy.

“It’s hard to believe that the goal I’ve been dreaming of since childhood is unfolding right before my eyes. Seeing my team-mates after scoring the second goal, it was a moment that made me feel that I have really good team-mates and that I am close with the players. That moment was happy.”

The plan did not begin smoothly and there was an amusing episode the first time his team-mates tried to help. Dejan Kulusevski rounded Tim Krul and, instead of shooting, passed to Son for a tap-in — only for the shot to be blocked on the goalline. “The players were mentally helping, even though I missed, for example saying, ‘I’ll make you the top scorer,’ or ‘You’ll get another chance,’ ” Son said. “Some players I’m close to said, ‘Don’t worry too much, because you’ll bring it anyway.’ ”

Son Woong-jung, Son’s father, is famous in South Korea for keeping the player’s awards and trophies out of sight at his home to keep Son humble. However, there is a special exception for the Golden Boot.

“They say they will put it away, but they seem to like it,” Son said. “I always know where it is, but I kept the Golden Boot in a prominent place in my study. I always know where it is. It may seem like a bragging thing, and I am a person who does not want to show it at all, but on the other hand, if I think about it, I was able to receive such an award thanks to the fans who support me day and night.”

Son could not imagine that Tottenham would qualify for the Champions League when Conte took over with the team in ninth place in November. Spurs went on to win 17 and draw five of the next 28 league matches, taking 56 points from a possible 84. “When the coach came, he filled in the gaps,” he said. “What I still remember is how I really liked the way the players came back on the bus after Norwich and we achieved the goal we wanted.”

Footballers don't watch football and only vote their mates. It's the only explanation. How the fuck did Son (and Bernardo) not get nominated is beyond me. How did Kulusevski not get nominated for YPOTY is a disgrace too. Even if you could argue that he had a bad period in January/February, so did all the other nominees. Kane had only one goal until the 18th of December when we played Liverpool. Salah had a shit 2nd half of the season, KDB while brilliant, was injured for some part of the season. It makes no sense. I'm genuinely thinking that it might even be racism. I'm that stunned that Son didn't even make the PFA Player of the Year shortlist, while you could argue that he should've won it...
How is it racism when 2 of the nominees are black and 1 an egyptian. Dont think Son did enough to win it, but he should definitely be in there ahead of Ronaldo and Kane.

How is it racism when 2 of the nominees are black and 1 an egyptian. Dont think Son did enough to win it, but he should definitely be in there ahead of Ronaldo and Kane.
It can definitely be racism towards far east asians. People can accept one race and be racists towards another.

Actually just checked and Kane scored 24 non pens in 2017 and 28 the following year.

...And Kane didn't win POTY those years either; so yet another nail in the coffin of the pro-Kane / pro-English conspiracy theory.

Facts:

English Player's POTY winners:
Rooney in 2010.
Before that it was Gerrard in 2006
Before that it was Terry in 2005

= 3 in 20 years.

English EPL POTY winners:
Rooney 2010
Vardy 2016
Lampard 2005

= Again 3 in 20 years.

English Fan POTY winners:
Kane 2017
Rooney 2010
Gerard 2009
Rooney 2006
Lampard 2005

= 5 in 20 years.

#CONSPIRACY

💩
🤡
's

Last edited:
Pretty sure Suarez scored 32 non penalty goals in 13/14
Can't really compare what Suarez and Kane did though. The chance creation for Son was peanuts compared to what Suarez and Kane got. Had Son gotten the type of service they got, he would have scored 30+ non pen goals this season.

Suarez scored 32 non penalty goals taking 181 shots
Kane scored 24 non penalty goals in 16/17 taking 110 shots
Kane scored 29 non pen goals in 17/18 taking 184 shots
Son just scored 23 non pen goals taking just 86 shots

...And Kane didn't win POTY those years either
You're talking about Kane WINNING the POTY award.

Son wasn't even NOMINATED for POTY when he clearly had the better season this season. If you don't buy into the English-bias theory, then what's your reasoning for this?

Most non-English people think this is more or less the case, and there are a handful of English people that clearly see this pro English-bias.

You're talking about Kane WINNING the POTY award.

Son wasn't even NOMINATED for POTY when he clearly had the better season this season.
If you don't buy into the English-bias theory, then what's your reasoning for this?

What it underlines is that perhaps POTY isn't given/nominated based exclusively on goals scored.... They have a Golden Boot for that.

Explain my above post.... (Rather than chop off 99% of it to further your weirdo agenda.)

Most years ALL THREE awards (voted for by different areas of the football fraternity) are given to non-English players.

Most non-English people think this is more or less the case, and there are a handful of English people that clearly see this pro English-bias.

Since when did you poll "most non-English people"?????

🤡

What it underlines is that perhaps POTY isn't given/nominated based exclusively on goals scored.... They have a Golden Boot for that.
So you agree that Kane should have been nominated over Son? I'm asking what YOU think.

Explain my above post....

Most years ALL THREE awards (voted for by different areas of the football fraternity) are given to non-English players.
English/British players have won the most POTY awards since the award was given so I'm not sure what you're getting at... and I'd bet that the nominees is substantially higher as a %

And for France, Belgium, Portugal... Henry, KDB, and Ronaldo each won it twice for their respective countries. Those three were considered a top 2 or 3 player in the world by most when they won the awards.

POTY Winners by Nationality (All time)
England/Brit: 7
France: 4 (Henry x2)
Belgium: 4 (KDB x2)
Portugal: 3 (Ronaldo x2)
Netherlands: 2
Serbia: 2

Since when did you poll "most non-English people"?????
Check Twitter/social media.

Last edited:
So you agree that Kane should have been nominated over Son? I'm asking what YOU think.

I think that nominations - particularly in terms of fans & player's player awards - are often spurious..... Sometimes an individual game will stick in the mind strongly enough to garner votes.... Club bias and rivalry also inevitably come into play.... In terms of the 'official' awards, the suits and marketing teams come into play (see Ballon D'or and WCup player awards).

English/British players have won the most POTY awards since the award was given so I'm not sure what you're getting at... and I'd bet that the nominees is substantially higher as a %

POTY Winners by Nationality (All time)
England/Brit: 7
France: 4
Belgium: 4
Portugal: 3
Netherlands: 2
Serbia: 2

1. "Brit" doesn't = "English".

2. Before a certain period in time there were FAR less foreign players in the league, yet STILL English player wins are a minority in the modern game.

3. "English/British players have won the most POTY awards since the award was given"

LOL........ Even accepting your skewed narrative chasing; 7 Brits / 22 winners does not = "the most".

4. Lastly I dunno where you get your stats from but:

PFA Players' Player of the Year - Wikipedia

= Since 1974

= Since 1995

= 2001

You're doing a miserable job here of proving a pro-"English" conspiracy.

Check Twitter/social media.

Social media = "most people"?

LOL

I think that nominations - particularly in terms of fans & player's player awards - are often spurious..... Sometimes an individual game will stick in the mind strongly enough to garner votes.... Club bias and rivalry also inevitably come into play.... In terms of the 'official' awards, the suits and marketing teams come into play (see Ballon D'or and WCup player awards).
You still have not answered my question - do you think Kane rightfully was nominated over Son for Player of the Year?

2. Before a certain period in time there were FAR less foreign players in the league, yet STILL English player wins are a minority in the modern game.
British players have won 25% (6 English + Bale) of Premier League POTY awards since they started giving out the award in 94/95.

In 6 of those 28 years, the award was given to Henry, Ronaldo, KDB who were hands down the best players in the league in those respective years - no debates to be had there.

3. "English/British players have won the most POTY awards since the award was given"

LOL........ Even accepting your skewed narrative chasing; 7 Brits / 22 winners does not = "the most".
It literally does mean the most.

tfZmIAG.jpg

You still have not answered my question - do you think Kane rightfully was nominated over Son for Player of the Year?

I'm responding to your delusions about national bias.

British players have won 25% (6 English + Bale) of Premier League POTY awards since they started giving out the award in 94/95.

25%....... Pretty low number considering

In 6 of those 28 years, the award was given to Henry, Ronaldo, KDB who were hands down the best players in the league in those respective years - no debates to be had there.

So if those lads were beyond debate; which English winners DIDN'T deserve it then?

It literally does mean the most.

tfZmIAG.jpg

25% is not "most".

Btw, 6 / 28 = 21% ..... Still no idea where you got your "22 years" from earlier.

Not withstanding the fact that in the early 90's there would have been a small % of foreign players.

And lastly.... Here's the punchline....

You're not even referencing the right POTY awards. :dembelelol:

Sonny WAS nominated for the EPLs POTY (and Kane wasn't btw).

It was the Player's POTY award that didn't nominate him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom