Hope?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm completely at odds with the club like I've never been in my life to be honest. It's the way it's all happened, to be a team mid table or europa and hoping for a champs league brought a better perspective each week we all knew as fans what we wanted. Levy kept handicapping good managers and made poor transfer decisions so many times but we all had this united end target.

Poch comes along, it all falls in place and we had a starting 11 that was just fantastic in every area of the pitch. We finally as a team got there. It wasn't about winning finals, it's about competing and going into each season believing this could be the one. Poch got us so very close and Levy for the millions we made whilst he was here, keeping the team motivated and playing well against the best in the world, beating the very best teams around, he completely fumbled everything, got greedy and couldn't see how to maintain this fantastic run.

His decision was get rid of our best manager, and bring in a manager that has a proven track record for short term success, no long term stability, after spending a lot of money. He also decided to pay him more money than our most successful manager and hottest property on the market for managers when he left.

Daniel Levy played a massive high stakes game of poker with us and the big teams and he lost.

After the champions league final, there probably wasn't a player available and more we couldn't have brought in. Now, a top player wouldn't consider us and were back to hunting for quality at a low price with a poor transfer team clearly.

No Fernandes although it was ours to take. No grealish. No Dybala. I'm sure there's others.

We talk about Sabitzer and Skrinier but really will they come to us now?
Liverpool will be hunting next season, West ham will probably invest if they finish higher than us, scum, all the teams around us.

We are totally fucked and the end of the Enic reign should now come. If they had any ounce of respect for our club they would sell on to someone looking to invest. Whatever price they sell the club at would be a huge profit but they will still look for the highest possible price available and only ones willing to pay will be a company looking to get a similar profit on investment.

I think we’ll be fine with the right managerial appointment, but we’ll need another 2-3 bumpy seasons to transition to a new team. I’m saying this because Kane could leave, Son doesn’t look like he’s signing a new contract so if we have to sell these players, we need a proper system and the right players to make for the quality the likes of Kane and Son provide.

Oh and we need a proper scouting system badly.
We are always 2 or 3 seasons away tho, from the team we had 3 or 4 years ago to the team we have now is appalling bad management.

Yes

1. We have the best facilities in all of football with our stadium and training ground

2 we have a core of talented players (if underperforming) in Kane, Son, Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Regulion, Aurier, Rodon, Lloris, Lucas, Hojbjerg plus some others who could under be useful under the right circumstances such as Skipp, Bergwijn, Vinnie, Sessegnon.

3 we have a bundle of deadwood to sell to generate money as well as free wages. Potentially Including Sissoko, Winks, Dier, Dele, Davies, Rose, Lamela, Sanchez. That is probably around 60-70m plus a lot of free wages that can be used to sign new players

4 along with Skipp we have some decent youngest such as Devine and Scarlett who look like they could be future stars for us.

We totally lack direction in a football sense though. Jose was a crazy choice considering he needs hundreds of millions to spend. Our scouting and managerial choices leave a lot to be desired and while Levy is good at the finance and infrastructure side he shown to be out of depth on the football side. This is no accident, he knows no more about football than you or me, he was not a player or a coach. We badly need a director of football and for him to be given major control of the football side.
We have more shit players in our squad than quality.
2 seasons 2 managers and still the same gutless performances week after week.
We have 2 or 3 players that are good enough to challange for honours the rest of the squad are mid table rubbish.
Oliver Skipp will walk into this team next season a good young player with very little experience.
That is a very scary thought because the central pair of Ndombele and Lo Celso cost close on £100 million

Depends on your definition of success.

For me the Poch years had plenty of success and amazing football. It was a joy to watch and I was happy to be a supporter of the club. There were some great times under Harry as well.

If you want to measure success against City/RM/Bayern then you will never be happy, We will not reach those heights. There is nothing we can do to get there.
There is only 1 definition of success and it is not finishing 4th or losing finals or semi finals.
We are a weak minded club with even weaker minded fans like you who think finishing in the top 4 is a success.

There is only 1 definition of success and it is not finishing 4th or losing finals or semi finals.
We are a weak minded club with even weaker minded fans like you who think finishing in the top 4 is a success.

No there is multiple definitions of success. Or are you claiming basically every club in the world never experiences success?

It is ridiculous to say that last year was not a success for Sheffield United. they didn't come close to winning titles, or even making finals.

My opinions also have no effect on the club. It isn't like Levy was about to go out and buy Haaland, Sancho, Dias, Ramos and Mbappe but then changed his mind because I said I enjoyed supporting the club when Poch was in charge.

Top 4 is a success because it is what is needed to build the finances and attract the players needed for greater accomplishments. No where did I say we could only get top 4 and no more. But it is stupid to be so short sighted to think that the only way to be happy is if you win titles. That there can't be more to supporting a club than titles and Cups only.

We have more shit players in our squad than quality.
2 seasons 2 managers and still the same gutless performances week after week.
We have 2 or 3 players that are good enough to challange for honours the rest of the squad are mid table rubbish.
Oliver Skipp will walk into this team next season a good young player with very little experience.
That is a very scary thought because the central pair of Ndombele and Lo Celso cost close on £100 million
How do you explain coaches like bielsa, Chris Wilde and potter at Brighton that manage to bring entertaining football, success (at various levels) with seemingly far less resources than us and they certainly don't have a son, Kane, lloris etc. The squad ain't as bad as many say but they are being made to look utter wank by Jose's decisions, tactics, formations and Jose's toxic as fuck cult of personality.
Get a decent modern day manager and you'll see the difference

We're shit, but things are never as good or bad as they seem IMO. Today was relatively even and could have gone another way on another day.

For me we have three clear gaps in our starting XI that need to be filled and they are both CB's and the Right back. People complain about Lloris but I think he is far far better than the likes of Pope. We have deadwood to move on so if we can get the right moves in the window (we saw us do that last year with Hojbjerg/Reguilion, but then fail with Doherty) then who knows.

It really does feel grim right now, if Levy moves quickly, apoints someone good, the players feel as if they're getting somewhere between now and May and gain some momentum going into the new season then maybe we can stave off losing Kane.

If we just limp on like this then I think it'll totally turn everyone off. Maybe Levy will just deny Kane the move by pricing him out of the market, given his contract situation, but it's very hard to confidently feel positive going forward as long as we have Dan in charge. Yes we need rid of Moronho but we desperately need to see the back of Levy to have genuine cause for optimism again.

And though it has been delayed by the terrible timing of this pandemic, our stadium is primed to serve as a giant cash register for us when the world gets back to normal. There are all kinds of legit complaints about Enic’s leadership, but their infrastructural development of the training grounds and stadium should be huge net positives for a long time.
I agree to a point,but surely even they(ENIC) must look at themselves and think we should have won more.How do we fix this? But they aren't,or don't seem to be.

How do you explain coaches like bielsa, Chris Wilde and potter at Brighton that manage to bring entertaining football, success (at various levels) with seemingly far less resources than us and they certainly don't have a son, Kane, lloris etc. The squad ain't as bad as many say but they are being made to look utter wank by Jose's decisions, tactics, formations and Jose's toxic as fuck cult of personality.
Get a decent modern day manager and you'll see the difference
We had a modern day manager and the vast majority of this squad shit on him and downed tools in the last 12 months of his time at Spurs.
This squad is a very poor group of players with the exception of a few.

I think of all their fuck ups (and there has been a few) not listening to poch and and investing in the squad and expecting him to keep pulling top 4 out of his arse is the biggest of them all. The owners became complacent and expected it as a given. Completely fucked themselves and us now.

I think we’ll be fine with the right managerial appointment, but we’ll need another 2-3 bumpy seasons to transition to a new team. I’m saying this because Kane could leave, Son doesn’t look like he’s signing a new contract so if we have to sell these players, we need a proper system and the right players to make for the quality the likes of Kane and Son provide.

Oh and we need a proper scouting system badly.

Yeah, decent players. A couple of great ones. I just can't not see us as anything else than a massive project for someone, but what's a project without the necessary resources? I think someone else could get more from the squad we have, someone a bit more brave than Mourinho. But polish a turd and it will still be a turd at the end of the day.

Its not a massive project though.

We need a new manager and at least 5 or 6 good players. I'd say that's well on it's way to being a project, or at least any new manager might see it like that. We have two world-class players at the end of the day.

Sure its a project that isn't under debate but it isn't a major project in my mind. .We have enough pieces and quality that it isn't a total lost cause.

Bringing in the right manager right off the bat takes care of a lot of the work. Add in a quality CB and again right there is a massive upgrade. If those were the only two things done we are likely competing for the top 4 next season. And it is unlikely those are the only two things.

It isn't going to be easy and will take making the right decisions but the pieces are in place for this team to be competing for the top 4 next season, competitive in domestic Cups and competitive in any European football we may qualify for.

I am not sure what your expectations are but for me that sounds pretty good for next year.

Now we could easily fuck it up, bring back Jose bring in Vestergaard, Fellani, Skriniar and Vazquez in the offseason and struggle again.

Back
Top Bottom